"Tom & Jerry (2021)" Feature Film News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheril59

Apparently the LT characters on Space Jam: A New Legacy will still be traditionally animated.

And since I watched the Tom & Jerry trailer, I suppose they were right on making the CGI cat and mouse look a whole crudload more like 2D animation. Cel-shaded CGI characters could more or less work for the flick.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Yeah I've heard about this one for years. They've been talking for awhile about doing a live action/animated hybrid Tom and Jerry movie but nothing's come of it until Tim Story was hired on as a director back in 2018. I remember hearing about that because I follow Chloe Grace Mortez since she starred as Hit Girl in Kick Ass and she was promoted as the female lead to this movie. And then heard that this quitely being filmed but not much was really talked about it since I assume by the time they were going to start promoting the movie (as it was originally supposed to air at the end of the year to make the 80th year anniversary of the brand) COV19 was happening and obviously a lot of plans changed and this got shifted around until yeah now March 5th 2021.

Honestly the trailer doesn't look that bad but... doesn't look good either. Since the story pretty much feels like "Hey let's do Dunston Checks in except now it's Tom and Jerry" with the idea of wacky hijinks due to an animal being chased around a hotel so honestly much as I like Grace Mortez and even Michael Pena (well the later in the right conditions) none of their parts look right. But this looks like they are trying to capture the classic T&J slapstick as much as possible. Like the speed in which all the animated characters move and emote is great and I admit though T&J wasn't ever my favorite series of shorts I do get it's appeal and watched a lot as a kid and some of them I would still be fine catching today so that stuff works. I do wonder how this is supposed to stretch into like 90 minutes though since yeah Tom and Jerry movies even their theatrical one are pretty notorious for putting a lot of fluff and filler characters or just ripping off other stuff to focus on just to have a narrative structure. Will this follow suit and be just as lame? Well probably but honestly at least the 1992 Tom and jerry movie wasn't good so having another one that's more slapsticky at least feels like a step up from what came before. Plus hey Tim Story can be good.... then again I say this as one of the few people who really liked that Shaft movie from last year and even I'll admit that's a movie carried by it's performances not it's film making but you can't do that with Tom and Jerry considering zany high speed action drives that kind of story so eh can still hope for the best from that right?

harry580

i wonder if this movie is a hit, maybe we see more films like this hitting the theaters or streaming

i wont be surpise if they bought back the purposed hong kong phooey film but replace the realistic looks with roger rabbit eqsue looks

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Poster.

4a31m2vhiuz51.jpg

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
(Sighs) Okay... to tell you the truth, when I first heard that Warner Bros is developing a live action CGI hybrid of Tom and Jerry, I was dreading it from the get go since #1- Tom and Jerry had not been relevant in the mainstream since decades, besides making god awful direct to video movies and subpar TV shows. And #2- it’s just another classic case of Hollywood not learning their lesson by making these embarrassing hybrid movies featuring our childhood characters. Sure, they had good ones like Sonic and Detective Pikachu, but that’s just the exception.

When I watch trailer for the new Tom and Jerry film, I thought it was.....a mixed bag for me.

On one hand, at least Tom and Jerry looks good in CG and not making it super hyper realistic, and it got a slight chuckle out of me in some of the scenes of the trailer.

On the other hand however, I cringe some of the live action scenes and the usage of rap music in the trailer makes me wanna facepalm myself. I’m really worried that the main blonde girl character is gonna be Robin 2.0 because I swear if she pulled the same annoying stuff like she did in the 1992 movie, I’m gonna be pissed. The actors are decent, but not anything noteworthy, and some of the jokes can be hit and miss for me.

Overall, it’s looks tolerable, but I’m still not looking forward to it because it looks Warner Bros trying so desperately hard to make Tom and Jerry relevant when they really don’t need to. Don’t get me wrong, I used to like Tom and Jerry as a kid, but not anymore because now I find Looney Tunes to be so much better than Tom and Jerry when it comes to their writing, timing. and voice acting.

Will it be better than the 1992 movie? I would say that, but I’ll wait and see when the movie comes out next year if that were to be case. I wish WB and the movie crew the best of luck on moving forward with the project, but I hope it doesn’t suck like the 1992 T&J film and Scoob recently because The WB had LONG way to go in order to keep their animated properties relevant and given the right team who know what they are doing. But hey, that’s just me.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Here's an interview with producer Chris Defaria. He talks about the movie at the 1:00 point. He mentions Tom and Jerry having a dynamic akin to siblings. At 9:00, he mentions that the scene in the trailer of Tom And Jerry at the bus stop is no longer in the movie. I only saw a little bit of the video, but it's interesting.

Jonwo

Framestore has clips that shows that Tom and Jerry aren't the only animated characters in this film:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

powerjake

Banned
It's just odd for Warner Bros to randomly make a live action theatrical Tom and Jerry movie. the characters already had too many lame animated movies including lots of pointless crossovers with Wizard of Oz, Jonny Quest, Sherlock Holmes and Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

Warner Bros fails at understanding how to handle Tom and Jerry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts