Tom Ascheim era predictions

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
Who says Cartoon Network wants your patience or respect? And what's so great about you that you demand they want it?
You see, TheVileOne is one of those people who thinks that Cartoon Network is entitled to them and that they should bow to their will, despite the fact that they are out of CN’s target demographic. And while you could say the same about the executives in charge being out of the target range, those people are generally well educated and think about who they’re aiming at- kids. Speaking of which, I’m not too sure if getting kids to run a business is a stable model.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
You see, TheVileOne is one of those people who thinks that Cartoon Network is entitled to them and that they should bow to their will, despite the fact that they are out of CN’s target demographic. And while you could say the same about the executives in charge being out of the target range, those people are generally well educated and think about who they’re aiming at- kids. Speaking of which, I’m not too sure if getting kids to run a business is a stable model.
I'm not going to speculate on The Vile One's mindset but I don't dislike him or think he's a bad guy. What I will point out is that it's a damaging idea and something perhaps an adult should not expect from a children's network. Cartoon Network isn't actually for us. It doesn't need to cater to our wants and needs and it's a silly expectation to want them to.

Tacomaster

I'm not going to speculate on The Vile One's mindset but I don't dislike him or think he's a bad guy. What I will point out is that it's a damaging idea and something perhaps an adult should not expect from a children's network. Cartoon Network isn't actually for us. It doesn't need to cater to our wants and needs and it's a silly expectation to want them to.
This. I don’t agree on all of your opinions, but this I agree on.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
This. I don’t agree on all of your opinions, but this I agree on.
I don't want to pick on or bully The Vile One. Because it's not just him. A lot of adult fans have an entitlement issue with things being catered to them. I'm pointing out that it's perhaps unrealistic to demand that of a children's network.

I actually don't approve of any fans demanding things be catered to them personally anyways. But as far as kids networks go there is illogic there that isn't there with people griping about their favorite shows and comics.

But really, whether it's a network or a TV show you love, it's not a healthy mindset to expect any creative person to have to earn your trust and respect. Creative people need to learn to tell their stories in their own way and not rely on fan feedback. I've found that many fans, particularly comic book fans, actually want what's worst for their fandoms. Creators need to have faith in themselves and their own stories, and I guess that should apply to people in charge of networks too.

Do what you think it best, Tom Ascheim. If I like it, I'll watch it, if I don't, I won't. But I do not demand or need anything from your tenure. I am a grown man. Listening to my suggestions won't sell 8-year-olds cereal and Lunchables, which is why the network exists. You do not need my trust or respect to do your job.

ThisGuy24

I'm growing tired of the "it's for kids" argument, I feel like everyone should be free voice their opinion to cartoon network regardless of them not being in the demographic. Most kids don't even watch CN anymore, they're usually on YouTube or Netflix because they have way better content. No offense but CN is not in any position to act like they don't want to opinions from longtime fans.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I'm growing tired of the "it's for kids" argument, I feel like everyone should be free voice their opinion to cartoon network regardless of them not being in the demographic. Most kids don't even watch CN anymore, they're usually on YouTube or Netflix because they have way better content. No offense but CN is not in any position to act like they don't want to opinions from longtime fans.
They are in every position to ignore "longtime fans". They don't care about us because we don't buy the stuff the advertisers are selling.

I don't know if you aware of this but we aren't the target audience for Cartoon Network. Little kids aren't even the target. The target is the advertisers, and what CN is selling them is eyeballs. And the advertisers are very clear that what they are buying are eyeballs from little kids. CN can afford to ignore older fans because we have nothing to do with any part of the audience the advertisers are looking for. Networks are a business. It would not be in Cartoon Network's financial interest to worry about pleasing adults. Other than advertisers of course. They are the actual demographic all TV networks target.

Edit: I mentioned before that fans want what is worst for their fandoms. And what would be worst for Cartoon Network is to try to appeal to adults. The network would lose relevancy with kids and fail. We shouldn't actually WANT CN to try to chase adults if we actually care about its long-term health and longevity. And it's clear many fans don't. But CN should not listen to any narcissistic adult fan who believes everything is about them. It's not.

Last edited:

ThisGuy24

They are in every position to ignore "longtime fans". They don't care about us because we don't buy the stuff the advertisers are selling.

I don't know if you aware of this but we aren't the target audience for Cartoon Network. Little kids aren't even the target. The target is the advertisers, and what CN is selling them is eyeballs. And the advertisers are very clear that what they are buying are eyeballs from little kids. CN can afford to ignore older fans because we have nothing to do with any part of the audience the advertisers are looking for. Networks are a business. It would not be in Cartoon Network's financial interest to worry about pleasing adults. Other than advertisers of course. They are the actual demographic all TV networks target.
They are? Ratings continue to drop and I'm pretty sure advertisers will start to pull their ads if it goes any lower. As I stated, I could less what the demographic is, longtime fans and even kids should voice their opinion to CN.

Tacomaster

They are? Ratings continue to drop and I'm pretty sure advertisers will start to pull their ads if it goes any lower. As I stated, I could less what the demographic is, longtime fans and even kids should voice their opinion to CN.
...linear TV in general, especially cable, ESPECIALLY especially kids TV, is in decline as a whole. This could explain why... Kids Aren't Watching Cartoons on Cable - Here's Why

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Ratings are dropping for every network everywhere while streaming is becoming mainstream. CN's ratings are not falling any harder than the average network, and it needs to keep focusing on kids and what kids watch and stream. Because I'm pretty sure CN doesn't release the ratings for what kids stream on their website.

All these complaints boil down to is "I've outgrown Cartoon Network and I blame Cartoon Network for that fact." That's not actually how growing up works.

ThisGuy24

Ratings are dropping for every network everywhere while streaming is becoming mainstream. CN's ratings are not falling any harder than the average network, and it needs to keep focusing on kids and what kids watch and stream. Because I'm pretty sure CN doesn't release the ratings for what kids stream on their website.

All these complaints boil down to is "I've outgrown Cartoon Network and I blame Cartoon Network for that fact." That's not actually how growing up works.
Huh? That's a very big assumption to think. Like I said, kids are hardly watching CN because they have way better options to pick from. It should be a very telling sign about their current cartoons. But it's pointless to keep going back and forth about this. Stay safe.

creator

We've been spoiled by shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show that have broad appeal. I think Cartoon Network will shift their focus toward new, younger viewers by buying or licensing content and likenesses from youtube and twitch. Nostalgia still sells so I also expect some reboots of older shows so the 20's/30's/40's can reminisce and hype up the shows on social media, but forget about them by the time they air.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Sorry to be negative, but knowing that there could be a severe recession on the horizon, I think Tom Ascheim may have to face the same challenges Stuart Snyder faced with a reliance of cheaper Canadian/European imports, but hopefully not live action, 2008 was tough and I think Snyder got some unreasonable criticism from this period, in 2009 onwards he started to make some really good decisions which we eventually saw come into fruition in 2010-2012.

The good news is that there's still new shows on the horizon for both Cartoon Network and Boomerang which have been in development and will be available on HBO Max and according to a showreel I found, both The Fungies and Tig n' Seek will air on CN UK, so this confirms that both shows will continue to air on CN, well at least internationally, but even I think animated HBO Max originals will air on their respected channels in the U.S. at a later date.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts