Times you've seen cartoons playing on public TVs

AnimatedFan01

Have you ever been to a store, restaurant or any public place with a TV and seen them play any cartoons?

I remember very long back when I was young they were playing a SpongeBob DVD on the TV sets at my local Hollywood Video (a now-defunct video store similar to Blockbuster). They were playing the episodes Krusty Love / Procrastination. I also saw SpongeBob playing on a laundromat TV with the episode Krusty Towers when the channel was on Nick, and then Arthur at the same laundromat. I've also seen the Rugrats movie (not sure which one) play on a TV at my local Big Lots.

More recently, I saw SpongeBob play at one of my AT&T stores (I've seen them play the episodes Bubble Buddy, One Coarse Meal and Gary in Love).

Dr.Pepper

I actually saw the final “episode” of CN’s Staylongers promos on a TV in the electronics section of Fred Meyer (Kroger).

I also recall seeing Pokémon episode Good Bye Pikachu on a tv in store. Or maybe it was just a promo that had the scene of Ash, Misty, and Brock saving all the Pikachu from Team Rocket. It was when Pokémon was new and before I watched the show or played the game. I thought each creature was one of a kind, so Pikachu’s power was making clones of himself.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I remember seeing a Kids Next Door episode on a small mount TV in a food court in Jersey Gardens Mall one time when I was young back in 2007.

dothesmartthing

Planet Yakko
I was sitting in a doctor's office back in 2007 when they were airing Nickelodeon on its TV. The Fairly OddParents was on. I can't recollect the episode, though.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
The very first time I saw Cartoon Network was on a monitor at a TGIFridays where our family was celebrating mine and my brother's birthday. (This was back when TGIFridays was still more of a family restaurant, before they decided to turn it into more of a bar.) They were airing a then programming block called Back to Bedrock which was a collection of Flintstones sequels, spinoffs and knockoff series; on this occasion they were running an episode of The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980).

AllenJ

There used to be a movie-themed McDonald's in my area that I went to a lot as a kid, and they had a large screen TV that played Nickelodeon (and later, Cartoon Network) with a row of seats in front of it. There was a drive-in theater mural next to it with a marquee that read "NOW SHOWING: NICKLEODEON" (sic). I also remember staying at a hotel in New York City that had classic Popeye, Superman, and Tom & Jerry cartoons playing inside the elevators.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I think I've answered something like this already, but one time in an appliance store they were tuned to Tiny Toons and I specifically remember the episode that was on: "Playtime Toons", specifically the short "Fit to Be Toyed".

AnimatedFan01

A pizza arcade I used to frequent as a kid, John's Incredible Pizza, had theater-themed dining rooms and one of the rooms was playing Boomerang. I remember seeing Ben 10 as well as some classic Popeye shorts.

Pooky

Staff member
When I was on holiday in Ibiza in 2013 there was a bar that was playing Road Runner cartoons on the TV, though oddly they were from the Rudy Larriva/Robert McKimson era rather than the "classics" (I think Sugar and Spies is the one that was playing when I noticed it). They would also play clips from old silent comedies (Chaplin etc.)

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
(For a second, I thought this thread was about cartoons on PBS)

I remember seeing the Looney Tunes New Year's Eve Marathon in 2003 or 2004 or 2005 in a butcher's shop. We had to wait forever there so I saw a lot of Looney Tunes cartoons that day.

At my local swimming pool, they used to play a certain VTM morning recording over and over again, for years, including the I Am Weasel episode "Ping Pong at Sea".

Pooky

Staff member
Just rembered when I was about 9 I went to a rollerskating rink a few times, and they had a big screen playing Cartoon Network with the sound; I remember seeing an episode of The Mask animated series on there (The Mask aired on Cartoon Network in the UK).

AnimatedFan01

Back in 2007, the food court at one of the malls I used to go with my family had plasma screen mount TVs and they had the channel on Disney most of the time. I could barely hear the sound but I could read the subtitles. I remember watching one episode of Higglytown Heroes after ordering Taco Bell and another time caught a glimpse of The Koala Brothers while walking past the same food court.

Dr.Pepper

I was just at the mall today and saw Doc McStuffins on a tv in a store.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
I remember a hotel stay in Connecticut during the summer of 2010; one time we were heading out/coming back, an episode of the then-new Adventure Time was on a television set in the foyer. I think another time (maybe that same stay, or at least one the following year), there was a Total Drama series (or another Canadian cartoon) shown.

Also, a few years earlier, the Mall of New Hampshire apparently had Christmas specials playing on TV sets inside (at least those in the food court area)- one such special was the first Frosty one by Rankin-Bass.

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

I was at the mall today and saw Blaze and the Monster Machines playing on a tv. It was the same store I saw Doc McStuffins on about a year ago.

harry580

a year ago I believe, the tv's at showboat & resorts in atlantic city were playing american dad

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts