"ThunderCats Roar" News & Discussion Thread

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Well, here we are as in golden days: the premiere of a show many were dreading for over a year and a half.

Finally got the chance to watch the two episodes and they were harmless. They weren't anything to write home about, but certainly could have been a lot worse. I do appreciate that the writers took the time to establish the universe and start the series out with a two-parter. The second episode was by far better and was slightly funnier. I liked Mumm-Ra much better than the other villains. One small thing that did bother me in part two: why didn't Lion-O cut through the ropes with his extended sword? I know that they were "magical" ropes, but the cat was able to shoot a laser through it, plus the sword itself is magical, too! Why wouldn't a blade be able to cut through the material?

I HATE the animation style. It feels like an amateur YouTube animated short, but I guess that makes it unique...? Lion-O wasn't as annoying as I thought he would be based on what I've read on this thread. He reminded me of Grizz from We Bare Bears in a way. I'm definitely getting O.K. K.O. vibes from the show overall as well.

In conclusion, this show is just "meh" and will probably continue to garner much negative attention that it doesn't deserve. I may or may not keep up with this one.

SourSweetGone

Simultaneously Too Old &Too Young For The Internet
I really enjoyed the first two episodes. Basically an abridged version of the OG series. Also love the energy in the animation, has a lot of the same vibes things like Adventure Time, OK KO & Mao Mao had/have. Will be looking forward to watching more when it premiers proper in February!

SourSweetGone

Simultaneously Too Old &Too Young For The Internet
I never trust TRAFON or most cartoon community rumor/fear mongers TBQH. So hopefully a second season will still come if S1 does well like with Apple & Onion.

Also I imagine the Theme song just isn't in the piolite Probably come back with the rest of the series. Personally I liked the energy of it!

Tom 2.0

Banned
If you like OK KO, you’ll like this show.

If you’re a fan of traditional action animation, don’t bother.

I’m in the 2nd camp, but I love the VAs and soundtrack.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I like OK KO, but outside of the character designs, Thundercats Roar doesn't really remind me of the series. I can understand why the comparison comes up, but I don't think it really fits. OK KO felt more charming with its humor and the character designs fit with the style that they were going for. The humor in this premiere wasn't bad, but it just felt like the excitement and wackiness was always at around a ten or eleven with rarely any time for breathing. The tonal whiplash definitely didn't help matters either.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Thundercats Roar, it’s more simplistic style, and it’s backlash is comparable to Zelda: Wind Waker.
When Wind Waker got announced in 2001 it was near universally panned for it’s art style and people wanted a more realistic Zelda game. It was probably one of the most infamous game announcements to date. When it came out some people liked it but it was still extremely polarizing. In the years since it’s become more beloved with some calling it one of the best if not the best Zelda game. If Thundercats Roar ends up more like OK KO and doesn’t pull a PPG 2016 it might end up like Wind Waker did.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I'm just not interested..... I may have enjoyed OK K.O. and want to see Mao Mao last a good long time for the same simple enough reasons. This, however, doesn't grab me as a show. The only thing grabbing me is all the sad nostalgia whaling at and about it, which really needs to die in a ditch, honestly.

As much as people want to tell me I'm a dumb fool, mad at the internet, or autistic for not liking the original show, I'm standing my ground on this - the original show wasn't good; its 2011 remake was only a slight improvement, but thanks to being canned prematurely (which was a bad move, either way...), it never got the chance to be truly good and even if it had got a S2 and/or S3 to get better, it's original writing staff would still have botched things up all for the sake of making things more dark and gritty for pretty much no good reason.

.....And yet whenever I go anywhere else to voice THIS, I'm labeled dumb, mad at the internet, or autistic, even though I know I'm right (as much as I don't want to be, either, TBQHWY)? I'd like to see these naysayers sit down and really, actually come up with something better, then. That is if they can at all and not have it be more watchable than this, especially since you guys seem to be OK at best with it so far.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I'm just not interested..... I may have enjoyed OK K.O. and want to see Mao Mao last a good long time for the same simple enough reasons. This, however, doesn't grab me as a show. The only thing grabbing me is all the sad nostalgia whaling at and about it, which really needs to die in a ditch, honestly.

As much as people want to tell me I'm a dumb fool, mad at the internet, or autistic for not liking the original show, I'm standing my ground on this - the original show wasn't good; its 2011 remake was only a slight improvement, but thanks to being canned prematurely (which was a bad move, either way...), it never got the chance to be truly good and even if it had got a S2 and/or S3 to get better, it's original writing staff would still have botched things up all for the sake of making things more dark and gritty for pretty much no good reason.

.....And yet whenever I go anywhere else to voice THIS, I'm labeled dumb, mad at the internet, or autistic, even though I know I'm right (as much as I don't want to be, either, TBQHWY)? I'd like to see these naysayers sit down and really, actually come up with something better, then. That is if they can at all and not have it be more watchable than this, especially since you guys seem to be OK at best with it so far.
The original show was crap and the reboot was highly overrated. You aren't crazy for feeling these things.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
So explain how the original was crap, I'm not a fan of Thundercats of any type. I just wanna know why?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
It was made in the 1980's so the writing was outright terrible. They had these sermons at the end for kids in the audience and all of the episodes ended with the cats laughing uproariously at jokes that aren't funny. The animation, although decent by standards of the day, doesn't hold up either.

The toys were boss though. I was and am a fan of them.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
It was made in the 1980's so the writing was outright terrible. They had these sermons at the end for kids in the audience and all of the episodes ended with the cats laughing uproariously at jokes that aren't funny. The animation, although decent by standards of the day, doesn't hold up either.

The toys were boss though. I was and am a fan of them.
I figured.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

5YearsOnEastCoast

Hey how are user revi... oh never mind.
f4cd2995ffcbff581d45649d4e7a6db3.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts