"ThunderCats Roar" News & Discussion Thread

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
Hey how are user revi... oh never mind.
f4cd2995ffcbff581d45649d4e7a6db3.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
*sigh* 9 out of 10, this is coming from those fans of the 1980 and 2011 versions.
8ad3ff46e3ad8ec236bbd945438a292b.jpg

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

5YearsOnEastCoast

*sigh* 9 out of 10, this is coming from those fans of the 1980 and 2011 versions.
8ad3ff46e3ad8ec236bbd945438a292b.jpg

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
I mean I can understand why fans of Thundercats 2011 will be upset (ok it was to extreme, but still), but why of 1985 Thundercats. The original was an animated toy commercial that just wanted to sell toys and there wasn't much passion (there was some, but little when compared to modern cartoons). Thundercats Roar looks like the team had fun while making this.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
Hey how are user revi... oh never mind.
f4cd2995ffcbff581d45649d4e7a6db3.jpg
Unsurprising, considering (most of) the people who gave the reviews so far are fans of the original and remake. I would bet everything I own some of them haven't seen even a millisecond of the show outside of the trailer and couldn't wait to post negative reviews wherever they could whenever the time came. Just petty and childish.

5YearsOnEastCoast

Unsurprising, considering (most of) the people who gave the reviews so far are fans of the original and remake. I would bet everything I own some of them haven't seen even a millisecond of the show outside of the trailer and couldn't wait to post negative reviews wherever they could whenever the time came. Just petty and childish.
I agree. I didn't see Thundercats Roar yet (I will see it tomorrow and give my thoughts here) but I wouldn't just give it 1. It is too harsh.

5YearsOnEastCoast

Okay I’m really hoping TCR’s reputation does not affect the reputation of some of the other upcoming WB shows like Jellystone, because that actually looks really promising.
I doubt that reputation of 1 show or movie won't ruin possible viewers of an upcoming show or movie. I mean did Problem Solverz affect Gumball? Did Emoji movie affect Spiderman Into the Spiderverse?

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm not too surprised with the rating. A lot of people weren't really into the series when it was announced and I don't think that the first episode is good enough to really make the series stand out in a good way. It does seem pretty premature to rate the series based off its first episode though. I don't think that the series comes off particularly good with this premiere, but I don't think it was bad enough to warrant that kind of low rating either.

Thundercats Roar, it’s more simplistic style, and it’s backlash is comparable to Zelda: Wind Waker.
When Wind Waker got announced in 2001 it was near universally panned for it’s art style and people wanted a more realistic Zelda game. It was probably one of the most infamous game announcements to date. When it came out some people liked it but it was still extremely polarizing. In the years since it’s become more beloved with some calling it one of the best if not the best Zelda game. If Thundercats Roar ends up more like OK KO and doesn’t pull a PPG 2016 it might end up like Wind Waker did.

I don't think that will be the case for three main reasons. 1. Even though the Zelda fan community initially hated Wind Waker the majority of professional video game critics loved it and gave it scores of 9's and 10's upon release. It also received numerous game of the year nominations & awards. 2. Nintendo never gave up on it. Despite the backlash and not selling as well as OoT Nintendo made two sequels, released an HD remake, put the characters in all subsequent Smash Bros games, used a similar artstyle for the gba games and released a ton of merchandise. They made sure the community would never forget it over the years. 3. Despite a different aesthetic at its core the gameplay, characters and lore were the same as the other entries. Even if people didn't like the look of it they had to admit it at least played and felt like a Zelda game.

With Thundercats Roar I doubt many professional television critics, youtubers, or entertainment journalists will give it near perfect scores or put in on any best of lists, let alone be interested enough to watch every episode. After the series concludes Warner Bros will likely never use the art style again for subsequent Thundercats series. It might get a short lived comic book series or dvd release but beyond that you probably won't see that much merch made for it. Also, even if fans of the other two cartoons can look pass the designs there's not much for them to sink their teeth in. The dialogue, tone, atmosphere, humor, characterization all seem too radically different for Thundercat purists to eventually warm up to.

I watched the first episode and it will likely be the last one I see. Like Rise of the TMNT, it feels like the creators are trying too hard to be funny and are scared kids will immediately tune out if 20 seconds go by without visual gags or comedic line delivery. I'm not really into the in your face type of cartoons or comedies in general but I can see why some people enjoy them.

Also, maybe it's just me but something feels off with the mouth movements. Like their animating them at 2 or 3 times the speed they should be.

jasonnguyen2606

Well, I’m so glad that I’m not watching this crap. But this is just insulting to the thundercats fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5YearsOnEastCoast

So I have seen Thundercats Roar.

...why does this show get such a huge backlash? I thought it was decent and there wasn't anything bad in it. I did laugh while watching the first 2 episodes, designs might not have been good, but the animation is fluid. Voice acting is great and the story was decent. While it isn't spectacular (so far) it doesn't deserve such hatred.

Why does this get so much hatred out of any cartoon (or at least any cartoon aimed at children)? Sure some reboots like PPG 2016 are hated, but not on level like this show or any other reboot gets hatred as much as Thundercats Roar for that matter. Is it because of artstyle or what?

P.S. This is the first cartoon that came out this decade that I have seen.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Okay I’m really hoping TCR’s reputation does not affect the reputation of some of the other upcoming WB shows like Jellystone, because that actually looks really promising.

Unlike TCR, I have actual faith in Jellystone and look forward to seeing it. I'm not expecting to love it like Harvey Beaks, however, but I can feel accomplished knowing Greenblatt has hopefully come up with another success story for himself.

As for TCR acquiring these kinds of scores on IMDB... I bet the reviews written there are even worse and more of a headache.

Nostalgia is the worst of the worst. Simple as that.

...why does this show get such a huge backlash? I thought it was decent and there wasn't anything bad in it. I did laugh while watching the first 2 episodes, designs might not have been good, but the animation is fluid. Voice acting is great and the story was decent. While it isn't spectacular (so far) it doesn't deserve such hatred.

Why does this get so much hatred out of any cartoon (or at least any cartoon aimed at children)? Sure some reboots like PPG 2016 are hated, but not on level like this show or any other reboot gets hatred as much as Thundercats Roar for that matter. Is it because of artstyle or what?

While I admit to having no interest in this show myself, I can tell you this much... The art style (i.e.: the non-argument / non-criticism / half-baked insult) that is "CalArts"? Definitely has something to do with it.

From what I gather, if your show doesn't look like your typical anime out there nowadays, expect people to diss on it immediately and without question.

Sadlt enough, TCR is being propped up as some kind of harbinger to Western Animations end..... Yet there are so many other currently running and NEW (better IMHO, anyway) shows out there right now with better art style choices that could use some more love, right now! Better writing/storytelling/jokes and/or violence and characters, too - because just looking good isn't enough, nor should it be - I've learned that one the hard way (without saying examples.).

..... This kind of crap is why the cartoon community is so fun to make fun of at worst and such a sad embarrassment to behold at best - not enough focusing on the positive like there needs to be to balance out the actually valid negative criticism (which there isn't enough of that, either - constructive and thoughtful criticism where necessary, just I'll thought-out hate... UGH.).

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member

I think that the character designs are a big factor here. They don't look too appealing, at least for me. I'm sure that they wanted to make them more simplistic so that they're easier to animate, but aside from Snarf oddly enough, none of the characters look that good in this style. A lot of people thought that it would be another TTG kind of series, which admittedly is an understandable assumption from the designs and announcement for the series. The fact that it was another remake probably didn't help matters either. Cartoon Network's track record with their remakes isn't particularly good, at least as far as the general reception goes. I think the Ben 10 reboot might be their most well received reboot and that's mainly because I hear less hate toward it compared to TTG and PPG 2016.

Another big factor would probably be how the 2011 remake was handled. If it wasn't cancelled after one season and had gotten a chance to wrap up its own storyline, I think more people might have been okay with a more comedic reboot. I agree that the series doesn't really deserve the hate it has gotten. The premiere was a solid "meh" for me at best rather than something that I dislike. Kids might like it more than older fans do, but I don't know if I could see it becoming a hit with them either.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
What did I think of it?

It was just meh. It’s more similar to OK KO than Teen Titans Go which is more of a sitcom. It’s slightly better than PPG 2016 and I think Ben 10 is the best reboot. Interestingly the MLP series that just got announced also got some backlash and was also given the CalArts label so it’s not just limited to Cartoon Network or Warner Bros.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Here's another crazy thought: Roar is MUCH closer to the spirit of the original series than 2011 is. Forget the slavish music cues for a minute: ThunderCats is not and should never be an Anime Quest. Yes, Roar is a goofy parody. But it's actually parodying what ThunderCats actually WAS, and not using the premise as a jumping off point to tell an entirely different unrelated story.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts