ThunderCats Roar is using Bernard Hoffer’s original music cues!

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Despite the silliness of the new show, I’m so happy the show is using Bernard Hoffer’s original music cues in the background! I’m wondering if this means that Warner Bros. finally dug out Hoffer’s original music cues from the archives that I originally wanted? They were supposedly buried on ye olde tapes somewhere in their archives, and I had tried petitioning them for a soundtrack of those cues. Sadly, I don’t think my soundtrack wish will ever come true, but at least Hoffer’s cues have been rescued, maybe?

After watching the first episode, I e-mailed Hoffer right away. Yes, I’m that much of a fangirl of those cues!

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Actually, I take that back. The credits say the music is done by a Matthew Janszen? The background music definitely sounds like Hoffer’s original cues from the old program. Why isn’t Hoffer getting any credit?! What’s going on?!

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Could be but honestly the music sounds like pretty much the same from the original series. Like the opening and ending credits do sound different and felt remix but the backgrounds themselves do not at all so really don't know how much credit Janszen should really be getting if that is the case. Though since I'm sure CN long ago bought full rights to Thundercats (they d have to make their own series for it) likely they have all the music rights so even if they are just reairing the original music probably don't need to give credit to Hoffer if they have all rights to the properties.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
I heard back from Hoffer that they bought the cues off him. The music does sound just like edits from Hoffer's original cues, which is why I don't understand how Janszen gets the full credit for doing the music! No matter what, Hoffer did the original composition and conducted the orchestra for those cues in the first place, so he should get credit for that even if Warner Bros. owns the rights to said music. They even credit Ted Wolf for the original characters as well as a consult to Jules Bass in the end credits, so why not Hoffer?! I don't think it's fair NOT to credit him and credit Janszen for editing/remixing his exact same music!

Also, sadly, there is NO official soundtrack for the original show. All the original music cues are stored somewhere unlabeled in Warner Bros. archive somewhere. Hoffer has a copy of season 1's music cues only, but that's it. All the cues he composed afterward are lost somewhere. I was hoping the use of the cues meant someone had dug them up from Warner Bros. archive, but it looks like Janszen just bought them off Hoffer.

Last edited:

hobbyfan

Per Wikipedia, Hoffer is getting credit for original music, which would mean the original 1985 series.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Per Wikipedia, Hoffer is getting credit for original music, which would mean the original 1985 series.
Unfortunately, if you watch the actual end credits for the show, that's NOT the case. Only Matthew Janszen name appears on the screen by himself for the 1 screenshot with Music by.

The end credits even give credit to Ted Wolf for the original character designs and a consultant credit to Jules Bass, but Bernard Hoffer is nowhere to be seen in any of the credits.

hobbyfan

Unfortunately, if you watch the actual end credits for the show, that's NOT the case. Only Matthew Janszen name appears on the screen by himself for the 1 screenshot with Music by.

The end credits even give credit to Ted Wolf for the original character designs and a consultant credit to Jules Bass, but Bernard Hoffer is nowhere to be seen in any of the credits.

Didn't stick around long enough for the credits, the show was so bad.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
I heard back from Hoffer. Apparently, he thought they redid the music, but I replied back saying they didn't. Hoffer said most people who know would know he did the music, but it's still NOT fair NOT to credit him where credit is due, especially if it's just a re-edit of his music!

slai

Reporter
Reporter
8F4AA947-B024-4DB5-9FD6-700E0B6E2371.jpeg

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts