Thoughts on Justice League Action

khuddle

One thing that kinda irked me was a lack of good villains.

DC needs to beef up their villains generally. There has been too much reliance on Darkseid lately.
Darkseid is terrific, of course, but anything used to excess...

I want to see them develop the Mongol character (and his bodybuilder sister Mongal too, if possible).
As it is now, Mongol is kind of a Darkseid clone, not much more. He needs to be fleshed out and given
his own distinct personality.

the greenman

Well, they always seemed to lead to Darkseid, going back to Superfriends. I agree on Mongol, I didn't even know there was Mongal existed up until her appearance in animation.

I really don't know any other villains on that level in DC. Maybe Despero.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
It was probably a network mandate to keep the episodes largely standalone.
Yeah, I think a lot about JLA was geared towards the current climate at Cartoon Network in order to get approved...not that it seemed to help it in the long run :ack:.
DC needs to beef up their villains generally. There has been too much reliance on Darkseid lately.
Darkseid is terrific, of course, but anything used to excess...

I want to see them develop the Mongol character (and his bodybuilder sister Mongal too, if possible).
As it is now, Mongol is kind of a Darkseid clone, not much more. He needs to be fleshed out and given
his own distinct personality.
It's funny you mention Darkseid given how ineffectual he was in this series :p.

the greenman

One thing I noticed too in researching the series. First time I had personally seen Superman & Wonder Woman straight out hooking up with each other at least in television animation. However, with Lois around seemingly dating Supes, uh kinda comes off pretty shady.

Also, I had felt the idea of "Garden of Evil" was very familiar. Apparently, Paul Dini had it as an episode of BTAS back in the day. I think I read that idea in a magazine back then.

Frontier

Staff member
One thing I noticed too in researching the series. First time I had personally seen Superman & Wonder Woman straight out hooking up with each other at least in television animation. However, with Lois around seemingly dating Supes, uh kinda comes off pretty shady.
They both tried dating because their civilian identities were respectively striking out with their normal love interests.

Speaking of civilian identities, I loved the episode where the Trinity all forgets their Superhero identities and you're stuck with Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, and Diana Prince having to learn to be Superheroes from Firestorm :p.

khuddle

One thing I noticed too in researching the series. First time I had personally seen Superman & Wonder Woman straight out hooking up with each other at least in television animation. However, with Lois around seemingly dating Supes, uh kinda comes off pretty shady

Superman and Wonder Woman together is so obvious that its boring. Much more interesting was the Batman / Wonder Woman relationship that was hinted at in the original Justice League Animated Series. I think Batman's subtle approach to women (ie. concealing his true feelings and keeping them guessing) would greatly appeal to someone like Wonder Woman. Hopefully this relationship is rekindled at some point.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Also, I had felt the idea of "Garden of Evil" was very familiar. Apparently, Paul Dini had it as an episode of BTAS back in the day. I think I read that idea in a magazine back then.
Yeah, Dini recycled some unused ideas of his intp the series or adapted some from comics. Some include:

"Party Animal" was adapted from Alan Burnett's "Party Animal" story in the 2008 DC Universe Holiday Special.

He salvaged ideas from a rejected Zatanna series and used them in JLA.

And yeah, from Back Issue! #99 (September 2017), page 22, he revealed the "Garden of Evil" episode where Ivy controls Swamp Thing was an unused idea from B:TAS but there was the rights issue at the time.

Light Lucario

Staff member

I assumed that Superman and Wonder Woman weren't dating anyone else at the time of that episode. It was seemingly a one episode deal too considering I don't recall the two of them having any kind of romantic moment afterwards. I think I had heard about Superman and Wonder Woman becoming a couple in the New 52 and there have been some Elseworld storylines that have them get together too, but I don't think it's a particularly popular take for either character. I prefer the Batman/Wonder Woman dynamic from the original Justice League series, but that also had much more screentime and focus compared to the relationship from this series.

Frontier

Staff member
I assumed that Superman and Wonder Woman weren't dating anyone else at the time of that episode. It was seemingly a one episode deal too considering I don't recall the two of them having any kind of romantic moment afterwards. I think I had heard about Superman and Wonder Woman becoming a couple in the New 52 and there have been some Elseworld storylines that have them get together too, but I don't think it's a particularly popular take for either character. I prefer the Batman/Wonder Woman dynamic from the original Justice League series, but that also had much more screentime and focus compared to the relationship from this series.
Wonder Woman makes a crack about dating Superman in that episode where she and Atom go into his body, but that's about it :p.

(Personally I'm pro-platonic Trinity dynamic).

the greenman

Batman, being the billionaire playboy he is would obviously try his weight with Diana. Though it seems farmboy Supes would be an attraction to her too.

Honestly, not keen on the JL hooking up. Hawkgirl and John Stewart worked perfectly. Though I've cultivated my theories as to why that worked.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Superman and Wonder Woman together is so obvious that its boring. Much more interesting was the Batman / Wonder Woman relationship that was hinted at in the original Justice League Animated Series. I think Batman's subtle approach to women (ie. concealing his true feelings and keeping them guessing) would greatly appeal to someone like Wonder Woman. Hopefully this relationship is rekindled at some point.

There was some actual teases of that in the DCEU in Batman v Superman and Justice League that we might of seen the two have a relationship down the line though yeah that likely won't happen now with Affleck done with Batman and the DCEU going in a totally different direction.

Though speaking of the DCEU, that's probably the only reason this show actually got greenlit and made in the first place. Yeah the team WANTED to make another Justice League cartoon series but it's pretty clear Cartoon Network has no interest in a general action oriented cartoon show at all. They only care about shows that present themselves in some form as goofy comedies. Which was as true now as it was in 2015. However I'm sure WB pushed CN to pick the show up because of wanting to promote JL for the DCEU even though yeah CN barely promoted it when it was on giving this awful early morning spotlight and burning through the episodes as quick as possible. It's clear they had no interest in it which is a shame as it was a fine show. Yeah it wasn't anything special or interesting especially compared to the DCAU Justice League but it did at least have more a super hero series feel which I honestly feel you need and not just TTG level deconstruction of th tropes so it's a shame it came out when it did. Honestly if the team had waited a few years it probably would of found better success on HBO Max Kids then it would of on CN.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

hobbyfan

Chumptoon Network [sabotaged] the show right from the jump by airing it before 8 am (ET) on Saturdays because, Heaven forbid they have to give up a half hour that they'd rather use for the overplayed into the ground Teen Titans Go!. Action deserved a better fate, to be sure.

Mod Note: Post edited for language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts