"Thor: Love and Thunder" Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Release date: July 8, 2022
May 6, 2022
February 11th, 2022

February 18, 2022
November 5, 2021

thorlovethunder_card-1.jpg

Not too many details about this yet, but via the Hollywood Reporter, Taika Waititi signed on to write and direct a 4th "Thor" movie.

Chris Hemsworth is also expected to return.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
This isn't too surprising. Both Waititi and Hemsworth seemed game for doing more Thor :).

Although who thought, of the Avengers Trinity, Thor would be the one to get his first film past the traditional trilogy :p?

Although honestly I'm kind of mixed on this. I enjoyed Ragnarok as a Marvel film but I was less enthusiastic about it as a Thor film. Just felt more like a Hercules movie with some Thor elements attached to it, but most of that ended up getting jettisoned away anyways :(.

But the Ragnarok style won over fans and Hemsworth seems more comfortable for it, so that's that I guess. Although I guess I'm morbidly curious to see where they go from here considering Thor's supporting cast and world has basically been torn apart save for, I guess, Valkryie and Sif (and throw in Korg too I guess) :sweat:

(FYI, I haven't seen Endgame yet).

I wonder if they'll go for an actual Thor villain for this. They've done all the big ones, except I guess The Serpent or Gorr the God Butcher, even though they're both relatively recent. Be cool if Ulik and Enchantress show up, but I think both are rumored for Disney+ series :confused:.

I wonder if Waititi will use this chance to go into one of the issues people brought up with Ragnarok (where Thor had basically no reaction to the Warriors Three's deaths).

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I guess one thing to consider is he's with the Guardians. If this move takes place after it, I wonder if it will be as simple as he quits/gets fired/Guardians disband anyway, etc.

Storywise, yeah. I guess there's the question of what's going on with the other worlds since only Asgard got destroyed? Are there any other big spells that were undone with the death of Odin?

Frontier

Staff member
I guess one thing to consider is he's with the Guardians. If this move takes place after it, I wonder if it will be as simple as he quits/gets fired/Guardians disband anyway, etc.
I guess it'll probably depend a lot on Vol. 3 :confused:.
Storywise, yeah. I guess there's the question of what's going on with the other worlds since only Asgard got destroyed? Are there any other big spells that were undone with the death of Odin?
Yeah, they kind of explored the Nine Realms as much as they explored Asgard...which is to say, not much :sweat:.

Greg91

Reporter
Wow, I didn't expect this to happen, because if they weren't make an Iron Man 4, Thor's chances of a fourth installment seemed very low to me. Anyway, I'm up for more Thor stories if Lady Sif returns. It's just too bad we can't see more of Asgard or more character development for Heimdall, the Warriors Three, Skurge, etc. At the very least, hopefully the smaller cast will allow for more development for those characters (ex. Thor, Valkyrie, Lady Sif, Korg, Miek).

I have a few questions about this movie:

• Will they leave the Guardians situation to GOTG Vol. 3 or will GOTG Vol. 3 exclude Thor and let this movie feature the "Asgardians of the Galaxy"?
  • Who will be the villain? Enchantress finally or an old foe like Surtur or Hela?
  • Could we see more of the nine realms like Alfheim (Light Elves) or even Valhalla where many of the deceased supporting cast could appear?
  • Could the film adapt a comic storyline like the Ballad of Beta Ray Bill or something more recent like War of the Realms?
  • Will the tone be goofy and comedic, serious and epic, or a mix of both?
  • Finally the big question: will Loki return or not?

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah... I don't see Surtur and Hela coming back anytime soon...

But man, I recall either Waititi or Hemsworth said they talked about a couple ideas after Ragnarok was done but I don't remember if they remotely gave away any details.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah... I don't see Surtur and Hela coming back anytime soon...

But man, I recall either Waititi or Hemsworth said they talked about a couple ideas after Ragnarok was done but I don't remember if they remotely gave away any details.
I guess we can think of stuff that was planned for Ragnarok but didn't make it in, like I think Balder.

Freddy

As the only person in the World who didn't simply just not care for Ragnarok, but outright hated it, I'm not happy that Waititi is coming back at all. That means more low-brow humor, continuity/lore getting ignored because Waititi is too lazy to have that coexist with his own ideas, Thor acting out of character because Hemsworth rather does silly improv than his job and no emotional moment is given proper weight.

Thor is one of my all-time favorite Marvel heroes (it's actually kinda a threeway tie between him, Spider-Man and Deadpool) and I think the entirety of Walt Simonson's run on the character is a masterpiece, which could be turned into dozens of great movies, so it makes me really sad that we will never get the definitive Thor movie (I like the first two movies fine, but they aren't amongst my favorites).

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I remember when Thor was kind of the underdog of the MCU - and now he's the first (and probably only) phase 1 hero to get four films.

I genuinely wonder how the box office will do without Loki, though, since he was undoubtedly the fan favorite character among casuals.

Also, I'm hoping we get more space stuff like in Ragnarok, but for plot reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the film is set on Earth.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm not the biggest fan of Jane Foster as Thor, at least how it was handled in the comics, but I'm willing to see how Waititi handles it. Hopefully it won't come at the expense of Chris Hemsworth's Thor :ack:.

"Love and Thunder" sounds suitably metal, and romantic, though I wonder if that pertains to Valkyrie's storyline or to Thor and Jane's relationship :)?

Greg91

Reporter
So... this wasn't what I was expecting honestly. I didn't expect Natalie Portman to return, let alone become Thor from the Jason Aaron run of comics. I wonder how they're going to include Jane in the story since she and Thor have broken up. Will she still be with Darcy, Ian and Erik or will those characters continue to be ignored? Will Jane be ill in this story? How will she become Thor without Mjolnir? There's plenty of questions that I'm interested to see answered.

It's also interesting to think Valkyrie's looking for a queen of Asgard. I know Tessa Thompson and Brie Larson have fully supported fans pairing their characters together, but I wouldn't be surprised if Captain Marvel actually appeared towards the end of the movie as Valkyrie's queen.

I'm still hoping Lady Sif returns and Beta Ray Bill appears but I don't know if it would be too much depending on the movie's plot.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
So... this wasn't what I was expecting honestly. I didn't expect Natalie Portman to return, let alone become Thor from the Jason Aaron run of comics. I wonder how they're going to include Jane in the story since she and Thor have broken up. Will she still be with Darcy, Ian and Erik or will those characters continue to be ignored? Will Jane be ill in this story? How will she become Thor without Mjolnir? There's plenty of questions that I'm interested to see answered.
I've seen some theories that this movie will be for Thor what Endgame was for Cap and Iron Man, so that might play into what they do with Jane here.
It's also interesting to think Valkyrie's looking for a queen of Asgard. I know Tessa Thompson and Brie Larson have fully supported fans pairing their characters together, but I wouldn't be surprised if Captain Marvel actually appeared towards the end of the movie as Valkyrie's queen.
That would be some surprise crossover :p.
I'm still hoping Lady Sif returns and Beta Ray Bill appears but I don't know if it would be too much depending on the movie's plot.
I was kind of hoping for more Sif then Jane to be honest :sweat:.

And definitely Bill as far as other hammer wielders ;).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Wow. So Portman's role in Endgame wasn't just a one time thing. I heard about this story about her taking over as Thor in the recent comics. If Waititi put new energy into the Thor movies and got Hemsworth excited again, I'm sure he'll do good byNatalie Portman/Jane Foster. I've read Hemsworth will still be in the movie.

Dudley

Staff member
I wasn’t expecting to see Jane Foster return, let alone as the female Thor. That sounds pretty cool. We still don’t know what happened to Lady Sif.
Also, that logo is rad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts