This November is the 16th anniversary of the end of the original Pokemon series in Japan

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

CyberCubed

Sep 25, 2004
Ratings
45 1
NY
My my, how time flies.

Well this November marks the 16th anniversary of the end of the original series in Japan, given the Johto seasons ended in November 2002. It's also of course the permanent end of the original trio and Misty in the series. Ironically enough the second SM cameo for Misty/Brock should air in late November to coincide the Let's Go games, so she would actually be re-appearing on the 16th anniversary of her permanent departure.

Saying that, it really is surprising how much time flies. The fact that it's already been 16 years, almost 20 years now, since the original series ended says a lot. It's kinda funny when you stop to realize just how short-lived Misty's character in the overall anime actually was, and how the writers really did give her such an early permanent departure from the series when the franchise was basically in its infancy. I mean the series was only 5 years old at the time, it only feels longer because Johto dragged on with fillers for 3 years. Now that the anime has gone on so long after the original series, literally the ENTIRE series is after the OS now.

In addition to that, it's also of course now 16 years since the debut of AG and May was introduced. I still remember when May was considered the, "new pokemon girl," and now she's one of the oldest characters of the show, introduced 16 years ago and practically a classic character at this point. If you told anyone back then Ash would eventually have 8+ female companions, people would have laughed.

It's funny to think of how many different forms the anime has taken, especially now that each generation has major revamps like XY, SM, etc. where they drastically change the tone/art style of the show, whereas the older series like Kanto/Johto into AG and DP felt like one long continuous series.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Saying that, it really is surprising how much time flies. The fact that it's already been 16 years, almost 20 years now, since the original series ended says a lot. It's kinda funny when you stop to realize just how short-lived Misty's character in the overall anime actually was, and how the writers really did give her such an early permanent departure from the series when the franchise was basically in its infancy. I mean the series was only 5 years old at the time, it only feels longer because Johto dragged on with fillers for 3 years. Now that the anime has gone on so long after the original series, literally the ENTIRE series is after the OS now.
It's not like the writers knew how big the anime and by extension the franchise would be. I'm pretty sure that the anime was originally just going to go up until the Indigo League, but it became a huge hit that continues to this day. Saying that she had an early departure seems a bit inaccurate because of that. Or at the very least, it feels misleading considering she lasted for five years, which is longer than of the other female leads have lasted. Plus, Misty being replaced at that time made sense. She had the weakest justification for being in the cast and they were able to do something different with May while also promoting the then new at the time third generation games.

I also honestly can't imagine Misty staying longer in the cast like Brock did. They didn't really do much with her goal and I don't think adding new characters to the cast would have helped. Keeping the original trio as the main cast for multiple series would have been a bad idea. People complained about Brock staying around for years, but at least there were other characters to provide some new dynamics and personalities to the cast. While they could have handled the buildup to Misty's departure better, she's honestly better off being on her own than being in the main cast. She can have off-screen adventures and make more progress towards her goal than she did during her run in the original series, which shows nicely in her return in SM.

CybcerCubed said:
It's funny to think of how many different forms the anime has taken, especially now that each generation has major revamps like XY, SM, etc. where they drastically change the tone/art style of the show, whereas the older series like Kanto/Johto into AG and DP felt like one long continuous series.
Each series is pretty much stand alone though. I know what you're saying about the first three series. Ash's steady progression and how each series lead into each other does help to make it feel like one big series, but each series is still pretty easily accessible to anyone. You don't have to watch the original series in order to understand what's going on in DP. DP is pretty different from the original series tone wise as well. The changes might be more apparent starting with BW, but each series is still pretty much stand alone instead of the anime being one extremely long series.