Things in media that scared you as a kid.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Emergency Alert thing used to scare me, mostly because it would cut out of nowhere you watching TV and then loud beep sounds come out of now where. I would change the channel to get away from it (you could do that then unlike now where the cable box locks until the alert is over).
Those things STILL scare me.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Music artists like KISS and and Marilyn Manson.

I also thought ET was creepy.

KISS also used to terrify me. I remember they played the Super Bowl when I was very young, and I ran away from the TV in horror.

I’m actually going to see them in concert next month. Funny what the passage of
20 years does.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Another thing thar used to scare me was tornado warning graphics. I think it was the deep red they'd be in when they went to warning, like it would leave a phosper burn in your screen.

DangThatBee

Bizz Bizz Baby
Resident Evil Tyrant and Nemesis. My cousins would play the video game a lot. I kept thinking about the game while trying to sleep one evening. I can watch the game now as an adult but even so the game still scare me a bit. I still don't like that zombie who was seen eating something as you walked around the corner. I forgot which game it was. Resident Evil 2 or 1? Then that other thing who if I remember, coffin was hanging up in the air. Something like that. It fell down. MAN just thinking about it now gives me the creeps. Then there is the Tyrant who bust through walls.

See Yah! I'm out. ZIP!
d89912a8c6a6cd402f9e4567dfafb7ce.jpg

Sent from the Beehive using Tapatalk

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member

I never had a reason, but the bumper from 1:41 to the videos end scared me for some reason when I was a kid. Kind of like Chuckie Finster's fear of the guy on the oatmeal box I suppose.

Darkdawn

I Am Here
I have two nearly-identical examples, both from family-friendly horror media of the 90s.

The ending credits of Goosebumps:

and

The game over sequence of Zombies Ate My Neighbors:

It's silly to think of now, but way back then.... :eek:. I watched plenty of PG-13/R action and horror movies as a child (and also played the Mortal Kombat games) and I was never scared when the blood started flowing. Yet seeing not-red substances oozing down slowly as if it were blood was inexplicably really disturbing to me.

I watched Goosebumps every week on Fox Kids, so I would just cover my eyes or change the channel near the end of each episode. On the other hand, I never actually got into ZAMN simply because of this stupid fear. Instead, I watched my dad play the game (in fact, it became one of his favorite games) and just covered my eyes whenever I sensed he was heading towards "game over" (which IIRC didn't require you to die, a "game over" could also happen if you fail to save any of the neighbors).

VeiledHat

HAHAHA! I HAVE YOU NOW!
The 1993 PBS Kids logo as featured at the beginning and end of Teletubbies VHS tapes.

It was just too loud and unexpected. To this day it still freaks me out, even though I got over it when I was 7.

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
1. Spektrum's ident set from 2001 to 2010, especially the startup ident, and the bumpers between promos.
2. Powerpuff Girls 1998, Night Mayor - the tunnel sequence (I thought it would take forever to end).
3. Spongebob Squarepants, SB-129 - the time machine traveling to nowhere.
4. Spongebob Squarepants, Wormy - Wormy's metamorphosis and the bee close-up.
5. RTL Klub's closedown, then startup immediately from 2006.
6. The blackness when Minimax handed over either to A+ or Animax.

Wounded_Dragon

I never saw the whole movie until I was an adult (and I actually saw the sequel before the original) but as a kid (couldn't have been older than 10 at the max)I did see the scene from The Terminator where the T-800 is in a room working on repairs and covering up his damaged "eye." Until my teenage years I'd be afraid of a Terminator coming to kill me in my sleep. The only way I could get back to sleep was to accept it might happen and be done with it.

So when I heard Cameron's story that the inspiration for the Terminator came from a fever dream I had no trouble believing it.

khuddle

Music artists like KISS and and Marilyn Manson.

Those guys scare me as an adult. What in the world were you doing watching them as a kid?

Star Wars-- Darth Vader. Terrified me in '77 (I was the ripe old age of 6). I had nightmares of him for a week.
Especially when he put the choke hold on the Rebel Commander and then the dissenting Imperial Officer during the Grand Moff Tarkin scene.

Last edited:

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
I missed one from my list, and that is Ben 10's "Make It Fast" short, also acted as a CN CEE filler. Agreeing with Francisque, this was the creepiest thing I've ever seen on CN.

The first 15 seconds (recharging process of the Omnitrix) are full of nightmares.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Before it was rebranded as Digital Cinema Media in October 2008, Carlton Screen Advertising UK's ident was quite frightening as it gave me the chills when I was a kid.

IDistractedYou

Perky Prince of Painful Puns
I was in High School when this came out but man did this terrify me. The old Gap Mellow Yellow commercial could drive me out of the room fast. I think I commented they look like their souls were stolen.
As a kid like 6 or 8 the Unsolved Mysteries theme scared me.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Little Shop of Horrors, the 80’s remake.

Plants, after watching Little Shop of Horrors, the 80’s remake.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I was in High School when this came out but man did this terrify me. The old Gap Mellow Yellow commercial could drive me out of the room fast. I think I commented they look like their souls were stolen.
As a kid like 6 or 8 the Unsolved Mysteries theme scared me.
That was creepy as hell. I was too old to be scared by it but I was always disturbed by it. GAP commercials in general were creepy.

Also, as long as we're talking creepy commercials, somebody needs to mention the Duracell Battery family.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts