Theme Song vs No Theme Song Intro

• Enter to win a $100 or a $50 gift code to FUN.com. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Do you prefer Marvel Cartoons with Theme Songs or with just a short Intro?

• With Theme Song

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • With No Theme Song

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm Fine With Either

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Recently a noticeable shift with the current era of Marvel Animation is a lack of real theme songs for their cartoon shows, instead using an extremely short title card intro displaying the title of the show with a graphic and an orchestral track.

For example...with theme song:

Without theme song:

With theme song:

Without theme song:

Would you prefer that Marvel cartoons have intros with theme songs, illustrating the series with a catchy and memorable theme and dynamic animation showcasing what the show is like/about?

Or do you prefer Marvel cartoons continue to have the simple and to the point intros, which clearly illustrate it as a "Marvel" cartoon and supposedly gives the creators more time to focus on the story through a shorter intro?

Or do you not care either way?

Please feel free to post your thoughts and vote in the polls :).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I kind of hate the non-intros. I'm all for an actual intro with appropriate theme music and original animation, etc. Even if they want to shorten it for ad space or something, it would be nice to see them during repeat viewings on streaming media or something else. I've given Spider-Man a little credit for doing something a little different but it still feels like they're being so tight pennied about the show.

I love a good opening. It was a key staple of animated shows for decades until recently and it really annoys me that enough care can't be put into the shows that they'd even have a distinct little introduction to the program you're about to see. It just goes along with how disposable these shows feel like they are to the people in charge of them.

I've gotten back into regular anime watching and it kills me seeing shows change their long intros during the season when they can't be bothered to produce even a tiny one here. It also really stings when I watch these Marvel cartoons with no intros then watch a live-action show like Runaways, Daredevil or Luke Cage, and fan out for the intro. It's plain to see which they consider something worth getting invested in, and which they don't. From 1966 to 2012 (or even any of the Marvel anime productions), Marvel has had awesome intros, and I look forward to them someday going back to tradition.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
The problem with shows having practically no intro is that it lessens the hook and makes you at least IMHO less likely to want to watch a show. The only reason I really knew of X-Men as a little little kid was being in aww of that awesome intro for the series and sadly due to tuning into it in the middle of a story arc or something could never get into the series. However getting a bit older and catching the intro to the 90's spider man I was able to get into that series well. The thing is that though a lot of the most classic and well remembered shows stand the test of time, all it takes is one good intro for any show to stand out and be remembered albeit slightly. And quite honestly cutting an intro to give more time to the show or commercials feels rather pointless when a lot of shows are a lot more tightly paced and edited anyway to be faster and to get in more exposition or action per beat then the shows of the 80's, 90's or even 2000s. Plus really an intro helps sell a series better. I mean the "intro" for Ultimate Spider Man doesn't sell that show at all let alone it's more goofball zany nature. And even quick intros can do that well. Say what you want about Teen Titans Go but even it's 20 second intro at least sells the silliness and ridiculousness of the premise. And honestly Cartoon Network quick intros though I prefer long ones are at least intros that can be catchy and enjoyable and hey they can make longer versions of the song if you want. It's preferable to have them then to have what really amounts to a quick stinger. It seriously is sad how more networks at least on either syndication or cable or prime time are cutting down on intros. I guess it's a commercial thing thus why you still see epic intros on HBO and Netflix shows but it's not something that should just be saved for those efforts. It's something every series should have the potential to have not just the "specialty" ones.

Batboy84

Mar 8, 2019
Earth
I don't think this is exclusive to Marvel animation. Many shows nowadays have had very little in the way of intros for years. Young Justice: Invasion, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Green Lantern: The Animated Series while it was on DC Nation, and even The Spectacular Spider-Man which had its intro shortened while it aired on Disney XD (something I consider to be the second biggest disservice done to the show on the network not counting the actual cancellation but that's besides the point). Even shows that do have intros tend to last about 20 seconds at best, such as Wabbit/New Looney Tunes, with shows like the Ducktales reboot and Big Hero 6 being exceptions (ironic, no?). With television having gotten more and more competitive, the intros are usually the first thing to go just to make way for more commercials.

• Agree
Reactions: Frontier

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I always think of Young Justice S1 when I think of short intros I love. Green Lantern, Teen Titans Go, Justice League Action, all have very short intros that stick in my head and long enough musical fanfare that the themes don't just blink out of memory. The CW shows all have a form of intro with the monologue and fanfare that I think work. Short intros can work when they're carefully done. SHIELD always kicks off with the recap, cold open and logo animation but that fits the show IMO.

When you see Ultimate Spider-Man, you see some logo animation and hear about four notes that aren't from the theme. The Marvel Universe intro thrown together by the network was better than that.

• Agree

RoryWilliams

Sep 19, 2010
The Tardis
For all the problems with Marvel's recent TV shows, you really can't blame this on them. Non-streaming TV shows have been phasing out intros for years now. It's just the way the television industry has gone. Even Netflix introduced a "Skip Intro" button for their shows that actually have them.

One of the later seasons of Community even had a funny joke about it where they try to get a guy who has been in seclusion since the 80s how the world has changed, and the three things they mention are "Dennis Hopper is dead, tv shows don't make time for their theme songs anymore, and Woody Allen voiced a cartoon ant."

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
The Marvel shows were the only cartoons on Disney XD that really handled the intros like this though, so they were anomalies among their contemporaries. The three original traditionally animated movies made during this time (Frost Fight, Where Monsters Dwell, Secret Warriors) handled their intros in the same way and they didn't have to worry about ad space with those or anything.

• Agree

Batboy84

Mar 8, 2019
Earth
The Marvel shows were the only cartoons on Disney XD that really handled the intros like this though, so they were anomalies among their contemporaries. The three original traditionally animated movies made during this time (Frost Fight, Where Monsters Dwell, Secret Warriors) handled their intros in the same way and they didn't have to worry about ad space with those or anything.

In terms of the Marvel cartoons specifically, I think a part of it is that, and I hate saying this, I think Disney's confidence in Marvel's brand only extends to the MCU. You can see it in almost every Marvel related thing that has come out since Disney bought it, with some exceptions popping up in recent years. Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 had no mention of any heroes that Fox had at that point. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite had no X-Men in an entry in a franchise that got its start via a Street Fighter vs X-Men crossover. The three big Marvel cartoons (not counting Big Hero 6) are based heavily off of the MCU and its interpretation of these characters, even going so far as to base entire seasons on whatever MCU movie just came out around that time. Even the comics were guilty of this, with Civil War II going on right around when Captain America: Civil War came out, and when Infinity War was released, a similar event started up in the comics. And to get to how this relates to the intros, there's the budget for these shows. I don't think these shows have enough money to even make a proper intro. As someone who has only seen like the first two seasons of Avengers Assemble, looking at it now, and comparing it to only about 2-3 years ago makes the downgrade really hard to miss. You know something is up when Big Hero 6 has better animation than cartoons for the Avengers and Spider-Man.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I was really disappointed when "Watch Me Rise" was introduced with Marvel Rising, since it seemed so primed as a theme song and yet it was never used to that effect :(.
In terms of the Marvel cartoons specifically, I think a part of it is that, and I hate saying this, I think Disney's confidence in Marvel's brand only extends to the MCU. You can see it in almost every Marvel related thing that has come out since Disney bought it, with some exceptions popping up in recent years. Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 had no mention of any heroes that Fox had at that point. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite had no X-Men in an entry in a franchise that got its start via a Street Fighter vs X-Men crossover. The three big Marvel cartoons (not counting Big Hero 6) are based heavily off of the MCU and its interpretation of these characters, even going so far as to base entire seasons on whatever MCU movie just came out around that time. Even the comics were guilty of this, with Civil War II going on right around when Captain America: Civil War came out, and when Infinity War was released, a similar event started up in the comics. And to get to how this relates to the intros, there's the budget for these shows. I don't think these shows have enough money to even make a proper intro. As someone who has only seen like the first two seasons of Avengers Assemble, looking at it now, and comparing it to only about 2-3 years ago makes the downgrade really hard to miss. You know something is up when Big Hero 6 has better animation than cartoons for the Avengers and Spider-Man.
It's interesting to wonder exactly how much cost-cutting is done with the Marvel cartoons.

I mean, I'm sure every animation studio or production does as much cost-cutting as they can get away with (but not to the extent where they feel it damages the production overall), but it just seems a more relevant issue concerning the Marvel cartoons.

brodie999

Jul 1, 2016
I kind of hate the non-intros. I'm all for an actual intro with appropriate theme music and original animation, etc. Even if they want to shorten it for ad space or something, it would be nice to see them during repeat viewings on streaming media or something else. I've given Spider-Man a little credit for doing something a little different but it still feels like they're being so tight pennied about the show.

I love a good opening. It was a key staple of animated shows for decades until recently and it really annoys me that enough care can't be put into the shows that they'd even have a distinct little introduction to the program you're about to see. It just goes along with how disposable these shows feel like they are to the people in charge of them.

I've gotten back into regular anime watching and it kills me seeing shows change their long intros during the season when they can't be bothered to produce even a tiny one here. It also really stings when I watch these Marvel cartoons with no intros then watch a live-action show like Runaways, Daredevil or Luke Cage, and fan out for the intro. It's plain to see which they consider something worth getting invested in, and which they don't. From 1966 to 2012 (or even any of the Marvel anime productions), Marvel has had awesome intros, and I look forward to them someday going back to tradition.

I agree. If they were to do original songs for the MCU shows, they'd be like this.

I'll write a new thread on the MCU discussion to show who they would've chosen.

Updated: It's up. Please click on it and feel free to post a comment.

Last edited:

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
Nov 18, 2007
I like that the lack of theme songs is simple and efficient.
While I do like some theme songs, they are cheesy overall, and sometimes don't match the tone the show has very well, they feel more like a distraction.
X-Men shows (since the 1992 one) are an example on good intros.
The 1982 Hulk theme is magnificent and sets the tone right.

Other intros are fun for me, but they are goofy. 80s themes are cool on their cartoons, but the rest feel jarring when I think I want to show some of the better shows to people who don't care about superheroes.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Aaaaand the other ratings are gone :(
Lot's of Great Cartoon News Today! Looking forward to Mao-Mao and Tig N Seek! As well as S2 of Summer Camp Island. Now if only we could get airdates for Thundercats ROAR! & High Guardian Spice.
What would you do if you were in charge of Universal Kids?
Anybody remembered when Gerald McBoing Boing had Cartoon Network City Bumpers? I vaguely remembered them.