The worst installment in the Powerpuff Girls franchise?

Latest News & Videos

Vuxovich

Jul 9, 2019
Čonoplja near Sombor
You thought that the 2016 reboot is the worst installment in the Powerpuff Girls franchise? Think again! That honor definitely goes to Powerpuff Girls Z for a lot of reasons.

1. The dub of PPGZ is the only thing in the franchise without the original 1998 show's voice actors.
2. Most of the voice actors involved in the said dub never worked in the Powerpuff Girls franchise again.
3. Most European countries didn't get PPGZ, either due to the dub's negative reception, the fact 4Kids Entertainment's shows underperformed in Eastern European countries (Hungary et cetera) or something else.
4. My opinion is that PPGZ was internationally distributed by somebody else and definitely not Turner Entertainment/Cartoon Network/Warner Brothers.
5. Whoever internationally distributed PPGZ, they didn't knew anything about the original show and they went with the Ocean Group voice actors.
6. Definitely, PPGZ never aired in the United States, likely due to the local belief Toei is strongly associated with Disney and its related companies (Saban, Marvel et alibi). Disney and Warner Bros. are the sworn enemies, as far as I know.
7. PPGZ is completely forgotten in Europe for reasons I don't know.
8. PPGZ isn't even considered the part of the Powerpuff Girls franchise by some.

I definitely feel that PPGZ is the worst part of the PPG franchise and not the 2016 reboot. What do you think?

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mar 17, 2010
Canada
Your vendetta against PPGZ's English voice cast doesn't suddenly make the 2016 series any better. Nor does the nonsense you've made up to try to explain why the show was exclusive to Asia Pacific.

RainbowCupcake

Put that thing back where it came from!
Dec 3, 2017
United States
8. PPGZ isn't even considered the part of the Powerpuff Girls franchise by some.
If it's not considered to be a part of the PPG franchise, then why do you consider it the worst installment in the franchise? Doesn't that statement kind of contradict itself?

I'm not sure I'm seeing your point of view clearly. Most of your reasoning has to do with the distribution of the show rather than the quality of the show's content. Do you feel that PPG Z has really bad writing or character development that makes it worse than the 2016 reboot? I don't think that poor distribution of a show necessarily makes it bad.

I've never seen PPG Z, so I can't really give a proper opinion on if it is "bad" or not. I know for a fact that I really do not care for the 2016 reboot, however.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
I have never seen PPGZ, but is it really that bad? The 2016 version suffers from horrid animation, an unclear direction, and cringe worthy use of memes. Does PPGZ have any of those issues?

Reactions: Zanneck

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Mar 11, 2005
California, USA
adultswim.toonzone.net
1. The dub of PPGZ is the only thing in the franchise without the original 1998 show's voice actors.
Neither did the 2016 reboot.

2. Most of the voice actors involved in the said dub never worked in the Powerpuff Girls franchise again.
And your point is...? They still found work elsewhere.

3. Most European countries didn't get PPGZ, either due to the dub's negative reception, the fact 4Kids Entertainment's shows underperformed in Eastern European countries (Hungary et cetera) or something else.
4Kids has nothing to do with PPGZ. You're comparing apples to pomegranates.

4. My opinion is that PPGZ was internationally distributed by somebody else and definitely not Turner Entertainment/Cartoon Network/Warner Brothers.
Your "opinion" is wrong. Turner distributed it.

5. Whoever internationally distributed PPGZ, they didn't knew anything about the original show and they went with the Ocean Group voice actors.
How is that a problem? Ocean isn't a bad dubbing studio.

6. Definitely, PPGZ never aired in the United States, likely due to the local belief Toei is strongly associated with Disney and its related companies (Saban, Marvel et alibi). Disney and Warner Bros. are the sworn enemies, as far as I know.
That's a load of crap. Multiple Toei shows have been licensed to CN and WB over the decades. And no, Toei is not strongly associated with Disney or any other major company. If they were, they wouldn't have even made PPGZ in the first place. They don't determine what American networks their shows go to; they just make anime. That's all they do.

7. PPGZ is completely forgotten in Europe for reasons I don't know.
Maybe they don't air it because the networks' licenses expired...?

Like it or not, it is. There are some people who would like to pretend the Star Wars prequel/sequel trilogies aren't part of the franchise, and Dragon Ball GT isn't considered canon, but they still exist.

In summation, these are weak reasons why a series is considered the "worst" in a franchise. You're really grasping at straws.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
No. If the Dub is bad, just watch a Sub with your native language's subtitles, instead - in that case, I haven't seen PPGZ. However, I'm more than confident anything that show does is far superior to PPG2016 in every sense known that matters to making actually good media, in general.

PPG2016 really is just something best left ignored, honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShadowBlinky

Vuxovich

Jul 9, 2019
Čonoplja near Sombor
I have never seen PPGZ, but is it really that bad? The 2016 version suffers from horrid animation, an unclear direction, and cringe worthy use of memes. Does PPGZ have any of those issues?
Precisely, the dub of PPGZ suffers from, of all things, lack of the entire voice cast of the 1998 show (Tom Kane, Roger L. Jackson, Jennifer Hale et alibi), lack of Craig McCracken or the original production team's supervision, the fact the entirety of the Gangreen Gang was renamed (Ace, for example, is Bobby Green for some reason) et cetera. PPGZ itself largely suffers from the fact the characters' personalities were changed.

1) And your point is...? They still found work elsewhere.
2) How is that a problem? Ocean isn't a bad dubbing studio.
1) The point is that the dub was recorded in Canada, but I still hope Trevor Devall, the voice of the Principal in the dub of PPGZ, was involved in the 2016 reboot, since he lives in Los Angeles now.
2) I actually admire the Ocean Group's work, but my opinion is that the dub of PPGZ would be better if the original cast of the 1998 show reprised their roles. By the way, there is a hypothetical scenario:

Had PPGZ debuted in the United States and being successful like Sonic X, the entire cast of the 1998 show would be replaced with the Ocean Group's VAs for the subsequent PPG installments.

What do you think? Does this sound familiar or ridiculous?

Low Spark of Lyman

The only movie in the entire world.
Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
garfield.fandom.com
Had PPGZ debuted in the United States and being successful like Sonic X, the entire cast of the 1998 show would be replaced with the Ocean Group's VAs for the subsequent PPG installments.

What do you think? Does this sound familiar or ridiculous?
PPG and Sonic the Hedgehog aren't made the same way (e.g. one is an animated series whilst the other is a video game). So in your scenario, it wouldn't necessarily be the case that the PPG cast would get replaced like with Sonic back then.