"The Worlds of DC" Movie News & Discussion Part 3 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Welcome to the 3rd thread dedicated to the DC live-action movies.

DC Film Threads
Initial Announcement

I. The Worlds of DC
1) MAN OF STEEL

Release June 14, 2013
Home Entertainment Release: November 12, 2013; July 19, 2016 (Ultra HD)
"Man of Steel" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
"Man of Steel" Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Talkback

2) BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE
Release: March 25, 2016
Home Entertainment Release: June 28, 2016; July 19, 2016
"Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
"Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice" Pre-Release Discussion, Part 1
"Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice" Pre-Release Discussion, Part 2
"Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice" Pre-Release Discussion, Part 3

3) SUICIDE SQUAD
Release: August 5, 2016
Home Entertainment Release: November 15, 2016; December 13, 2016
"Suicide Squad" Feature Talkback
"Suicide Squad" Feature Film Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

4) WONDER WOMAN
Release: June 2, 2017
Home Entertainment Release: August 29, 2017; September 19, 2017
"Wonder Woman" Feature Talkback
"Wonder Woman" Feature Film Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

5) JUSTICE LEAGUE
Release: November 17, 2017
Home Entertainment Release: February 13, 2018; March 13, 2018
"Justice League" Feature Talkback
"Justice League" Movie Pre-Release Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)
"Justice League" Movie Pre-Release Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

5B) JUSTICE LEAGUE SNYDER CUT
Release: March 18, 2021

6) AQUAMAN
Release: December 21, 2018
Formerly: October 5, 2018; July 27, 2018
Home Entertainment Release: March 5, 2019; March 26, 2019
"Aquaman" Feature Talkback
"Aquaman" Pre-Release News & Discussion

7) SHAZAM!
Release: April 5, 2019
Home Entertainment Release: July 2, 2019; July 16, 2019
"Shazam!" Feature Talkback
"Shazam!" Pre-Release News and Discussion

8) BIRDS OF PREY (AND THE FANTABULOUS EMANCIPATION OF ONE HARLEY QUINN)
Release: February 7, 2020
Home Entertainment Release: March 24, 2020; May 12, 2020
"Birds of Prey" Feature Talkback
"Birds of Prey" News and Discussion

9) WONDER WOMAN 1984
Release: December 25, 2020 October 2, 2020 August 14, 2020 June 5, 2020 November 1, 2019 December 13, 2019
Home Entertainment Release: March 16, 2021, March 30, 2021
"Wonder Woman 1984" Feature Talkback
"Wonder Woman 1984" Pre-Release News and Discussion

Unknown: September 27, 2019, February 7, 2020, February 14, 2020, June 5, 2020, July 24, 2020, October 2, 2020, April 16, 2021, July 2, 2021, and November 5, 2021

10) SUICIDE SQUAD 2
Suicide Squad 2 News and Discussion
Release: August 6, 2021
Production: September 23, 2019 to February 2020

11) THE BATMAN
The Batman News and Discussion, News and Discussion Part 2
Reported release in March 4, 2022 October 1, 2021 June 25, 2021 2019
Production starts in Summer 2019 End of 2019 (on Hiatus)

12) BLACK ADAM
Black Adam News and Discussion
Films Fall 2019 Spring July 2020 1st Quarter 2021
Release Date: TBD December 22, 2021

13) THE FLASH
The Flash News and Discussion
Production starts February 2019, November 2019, March 2021
Release Date: November 4, 2022 June 3, 2022
Formerly: March 16, 2018; July 27, 2018; 2020; 2021; July 1, 2022

14) SHAZAM! FURY OF THE GODS
Shazam! Fury of the Gods News and Discussion
Release Date: June 2, 2023 November 4, 2022; April 1, 2022

15) AQUAMAN 2
Aquaman 2 News and Discussion
Release Date: December 16, 2022

LIMBO BUT KINDA ALIVE

GREEN LANTERN CORPS
Green Lantern Corps News and Discussion
Release: June 19, 2020

BATGIRL
Batgirl News and Discussion

EARLY DEVELOPMENT

BOOSTER GOLD

NEW GODS
New Gods News and Discussion

BLACKHAWK SQUAD

PLASTIC MAN

Plastic Man News and Discussion

THE TRENCH
The Trench News and Discussion

WONDER WOMAN 3
Wonder Woman 3 News and Discussion

ZATANNA

AMAZONS

BATMAN BEYOND

CONSTANTINE

JUSTICE LEAGUE REBIRTH

VIXEN

STATIC

Static Shock News and Discussion

SUPERMAN (Reboot)
News & Discussion thread

SHELVED

SUPERGIRL

Supergirl News and Discussion
Films: 1st Quarter 2020

GOTHAM CITY SIRENS
Gotham City Sirens (on hold)

CYBORG
Cyborg News and Discussion
Release: April 3, 2020

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
Justice League Dark (aka Dark Universe) News and Discussion

DEATHSTROKE

JUSTICE LEAGUE 2

Release: June 14, 2019

MAN OF STEEL 2
Man of Steel 2 News and Discussion
Rumored for 2020

DEADSHOT
(scrapped)

NIGHTWING
Nightwing News and Discussion

JOKER VS. HARLEY QUINN
Joker vs. Harley Quinn News and Discussion

THE JOKER
Joker News and Discussion

BLUE BEETLE
Blue Beetle News and Discussion

REFERENCE

CONFIRMED as of December 10, 2017

Wonder Woman II, Flashpoint, Suicide Squad 2, Shazam, Batgirl, Green Lantern Corps, The Batman, Justice League Dark

CONFIRMED as of July 22, 2017
Wonder Woman 2, Suicide Squad 2, Green Lantern Corps, Justice League Dark, The Batman, Batgirl, and Shazam

II. NOT Worlds of DC

THE JOKER

Joker Feature Talkback Thread
Joker News and Discussion
Release: October 4, 2019
Home Entertainment Release: December 17, 2019 and January 7, 2020

III. Not Greenlit/Unconfirmed/Rumored

JOKER 2

======================================================

So WARNER BROS. finally seems like they're coming out of their fear of MARVEL/DISNEY and announcing more films for their DC Entertainment branch:

Nine more DC Comics movies planned after Justice League | Digital Trends

Some sites are reporting that they have FOUR major films ready:

Metal Men
Barry Sonnenfeld Directing DC Comics Adaptation 'Metal Men' For Warner Bros.? – /Film
Geoff Johns Talks New 52 Phase 2 And Metal Men

Unproduced Films:

Deadman:
Guillermo del Toro Producing DEADMAN Adaption

Hawkman:
'Hawkman' Movie Will Be Like 'Indiana Jones, Da Vinci Code, & Ghost'

Legion of Superheroes:
Rumor Patrol: Warner Bros. Wants 'Legion of Super-Heroes' Movie

Lobo:
http://variety.com/interstitial/#u=...63;k=pmc-adi-31bb2464aad8b905af7a81e1d57b77ae
DC Comics' Lobo To Tear Up The Big Screen | ScreenRant
DC Comics' 'Lobo' with Dwayne Johnson is Not Happening Anymore
Why the Lobo Movie Hasn't Happened Yet - SuperHeroHype
Warner Bros' 'Lobo' Lands 'Wonder Woman' Writer Jason Fuchs
"Deadpool" Director Tim Miller Reveals He Previously Met With DC For "Lobo"

Swamp Thing (2015)
Read The Opening Of The Swamp Thing Movie That Almost Was

(note: checked up to page 60 for threads)

Previous Threads
"DC Comics Cinematic Universe" Movie News & Discussion Part 1
"The Worlds of DC" Movie News & Discussion Part 2 (Spoilers)

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's rumored Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity, Children of Men, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) had a meeting with Warner Bros. about directing a DC movie a few months ago, but didn't work out.

Last edited by a moderator:

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
September 12th:
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Henry Cavill won't be playing Superman in any future movies.
This is surprising. It looked like everything FINALLY got going in the right direction with Justice League, and now we're all unfortunately back to square one again. At least WB gave this interpretation of the character a chance (whether they should have or not, that's a different story). The said can't be same about previous interpretations, or other DC, Marvel, etc characters/franchises. If that Flash movie is actually going to be Flashpoint, I wonder if it could actually work. A movie in which we see the universe rebooted might be harder to follow and explain why different actor's are playing the assorted characters.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Yikes. Just....yikes. I always thought Affleck would be the first to leave, but Cavill? If this is true, WB could potentially be losing two of the trinity, which would be a huge blow.

I honestly feel bad for Cavill; I like him as Superman, but until JL, he was never allowed to completely act like Superman, IMO - and then even in JL, his performance was marred by the CGI face. The fact that that may be his final Superman performance is pretty sad.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You know there's been something I've said for awhile and now that this is leaked out I feel comfortable in saying it again: Warner Brothers really should put a general kibosh in doing basic Superman stories until they you know fully establish what sort of universe they have and let other characters be given more of a focus. Even if/when Ben Affleck leaves we're going to be getting more Batman movies because you know the Dark Knight is such a pop culture figure not doing movies featuring him does seem like a ridiculous idea but whether or not this Supergirl film gets any traction, I don't see this as a bad thing at least from my own personal perspective. I mean if this did play out because apparently Cavill was trying to play hardball with the studios with that Shazzam cameo and that costing him the role I do feel sort of bad but at the same time... you would really think after Justice League (which let's face it the big reason people liked Superman in that movie was more because he cracked jokes and acted a bit more like the public perception of Superman in a part most any other actor could of played if given that same direction and didn't have a specific flavor just because of Cavill) and how poorly that performed he'd be more defensive about his career and this role instead of making such a bold cutthroat move. Thus I don't really feel that and honestly if we are going to be getting a Flashpoint movie or something that totally alters the DCEU continuity as a whole... yeah he was one of those problematic issues that needed to be altered. After MoS and BvS you couldn't just instant fix Superman and JL didn't really prove much otherwise as you really need a new lead actor and team for that but... again you can put Supes on the back burner. We'll see if Jason Mamoa wins people over as Aquaman that makes him worthy to keep around but in the long run sans the cast and crew behind Wonder Woman, there are really only a few elements of the DCEU that you should still arguably keep around. And that's really Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn... Will Smith as Deadshot.... Viola Davis as Amanda Waller.... and again if Jason Mamoa can prove himself as Aquaman along with that cast and crew and maybe, MAYBE Ezra Miller as Barry Allen/Flash but yeah I would really scrap the rest. They're either problematic for various reasons or didn't give enough of a major impression to really be worth keeping around for a relaunch so I say let this be the DC really streamlining they're movie universe to get rid of it's issues and this being the first major actor firing to do so. Again personal opinion here but hey that's what we're all giving with this news right?

the greenman

He has had praise for his performance in Fallout. That's obviously/probably why he's looking elsewhere. This on top of the Witcher series looks promising for Cavill. I think this should be a HUGE eye-opener for WB about the DC brand.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Affleck and Cavill probably should have been priority one for Hamada -- whether it be keep or punt, just make the immediate decision -- when he started instead of letting it lie.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
They actually think a Cinematic Universe is like James Bond and they can keep recasting the main parts indefinitely? DC has learned nothing from its mistakes. Nothing.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't know what to say about Cavill leaving at this point.

Should I feel bad for Cavill that his Superman was squandered by WB dropping the ball or his being stuck with flawed movies as Superman?

Should I feel anxious that the DC Films may have lost yet another member of their Cinematic Trinity when their movie universe is still barely off the ground?

Should I feel disappointed that this means we probably won't see Superman in film again for the foreseeable future?

Should I feel cautious at the idea that they will try and spin Supergirl as the new Superman and completely try and Cavill's Superman never happened/existed?

Just a lot mixed feelings on my part.
Throwaway rumor of Michael B Jordan being considered down the line. Cavill's manager downplays the news and reveals WB will make a statement later today. WB's statement was however, vague. Plus, we learned Cavill signed onto Netflix's Witcher recently.
Did someone see that scene in Black Panther where Killmonger wears glasses and just think "hey, this guy could play Superman" :p?

(Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me considering the precedent with other DC movie castings at this point).

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Um. Wow. Not sure what to believe now. I don't think TMZ is a great source or anything, but if this is even slightly true, I think I'd be a bit annoyed.

On the other hand, even if it is true...does it make a difference? Even if Cavill is still with WB, if they aren't planning any Superman films in the near future, it's not like we'll see much of his Superman onscreen anyway.

I just really hope this doesn't become another Affleck thing, where we get conflicting reports every other month.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
It's just personally funny that we might see Shazam momentarily surpass Superman in the public eye if the film does really well. It would almost be like a little poetic justice after what was done in the past to curb his popularity in favor of Superman.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Reed Morano confirms she's interested in directing Supergirl.

EDIT: What a strange journey if we end up with Arnie Hammer and Jon Hamm as Superman and Batman.
It feels like a lifetime ago when the potential casting of Hammer as Batman for Justice League Mortal made the internet angry.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dmxx116

I don't want to it from Snyder's small niche cult fans he the reason that the DCEU it in mess right now Justice League should made Avengers type money at the Box Office period, But we can thank the man who made Batman v Superman for that.
WB and DC this is make of brake time for time DCEU going forward starting with Aquaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.

Featured Posts