The World of UPA

Latest News & Videos

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Andrew Saladino made an amazing three-part documentary on the life of UPA. Part 1 explores the seeds that led to the company's foundation and the hardships they had to deal with. Part 2 shows the many ways UPA was so different and experimental from every other studio at the time, and the different contributions each animator brought to their films. Finally, part 3 shows how a changing political landscape and the emergence of television left UPA creatively bankrupt, essentially strangling them to their dying breath, although their legacy and influence would be felt decades after they'd shuttered.

Frank98

Keep moving forward
It's a good series. Pretty informative. I wish more time could be spent analyzing the aesthetic qualities of these films. But I guess I can't complain.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I wish more time could be spent analyzing the aesthetic qualities of these films. But I guess I can't complain.
Isn't that essentially what part 2 does? Or are you referring to something else?

Frank98

Keep moving forward
Yes, it does. In part. I just wish it could say more. Explain how the designs and colors work and influence the story and the mood. But maybe I'm just asking too much.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I don't get why some people thought the Season 5 Finale of Steven Universe would've been better suited as a Series Finale, when there's still a TV Movie and at least one more season coming on the way.
I have a channel on YouTube - TheSnickers04 :)
"Double Dare at Super Bowl" commercial! Can't wait!
Viacom is buying PlutoTV it's official now
Asa
Today the world honored the legacy of our true hero, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr and his most famous motto, "I have a dream".