The Wonderful World of YouTube Part VI

Dsneybuf

Some of the visuals for The Year Without a Santa Claus might have gotten mixed up in editing:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Whoops, almost forgot to share these. A few new episodes of Nick Knacks, first on Nickelodeon's 1989 Thanksgiving special that eventually led to the creation of Nicktoons:

And then, going all the way back to 1979 with "America Goes Bananaz," Nickelodeon's first variety show.
Where'd you find the soundtrack to Charlie Brown Thanksgiving? I kind of like how warbly, low-tech and unabashedly 70s it sounds.

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
YouTube let me down. I was unable to find the only episode of Turn-On!. I did however, get descriptions of the show. I want to see it.

Dsneybuf

Doug Walker's review of Smart House made me decide to look for the cartoon the girl watched before Pat interrupted, which I could kind of recall watching once in its entirety on Disney Channel:
I wonder if the kids who won other times Disney held this contest felt jealous when this cartoon got picked over theirs for preserving in a DCOM.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Doug Walker's review of Smart House made me decide to look for the cartoon the girl watched before Pat interrupted, which I could kind of recall watching once in its entirety on Disney Channel:
I wonder if the kids who won other times Disney held this contest felt jealous when this cartoon got picked over theirs for preserving in a DCOM.
Doug had to pick between this and "Princess Protection Program" and held a public survey; it was overwhelmingly in favor of Smart House. I remember Disney betting BIG on Princess Protection Program; had its own public marketing campaign and high-profile DVD release and everything. But kids didn't bite.

I thought that was weird since like Doug said, "it's Disney and it's princesses," which is normally like printing money. I always wanted a take from someone who saw it. Doug won't give it to me, so I'll accept this YouTube comment:

"It's just a typical DCOM with better characters and actors. At the most, I think you'd find the villain interesting and maybe the environment but that's it. It is NOT about a super-secret spy organization that harbors royalty. The first five minutes is, but the rest is just about two polar opposite teenagers who become freinds. The end."

Yeah, that sounds lame.

poparena

More Nick Knacks. First, a look at a forgotten show, Hocus Focus, but more importantly, a look at the career of puppeteer Brad Williams.

Then, a much shorter video on Star Channel, the precursor to The Movie Channel, which aired in the late PM/early AM hours after Nickelodeon signed off for the day.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
More Nick Knacks. First, a look at a forgotten show, Hocus Focus, but more importantly, a look at the career of puppeteer Brad Williams.
OMG.....THIS IS BRILLIANT! EVERYBODY WATCH THIS VIDEO RIGHT NOW!
THAT MEANS YOU, BUDDY!

(except Greg, he's already seen it)

Erased Paper

I always wanted a take from someone who saw it. Doug won't give it to me, so I'll accept this YouTube comment:

"It's just a typical DCOM with better characters and actors. At the most, I think you'd find the villain interesting and maybe the environment but that's it. It is NOT about a super-secret spy organization that harbors royalty. The first five minutes is, but the rest is just about two polar opposite teenagers who become freinds. The end."

Yeah, that sounds lame.
I don't know what "freinds" is, but as someone who watched the premiere of this, yeah, pretty much. There's more that I could say about this thing, but I don't think anyone wants to hear it. Also confirmed that you don't read anything on dvdizzy.

Dsneybuf

I would've linked to that review, but it came from someone I often disagreed with. (He once wrote that fans of Halloweentown have no reason not to enjoy Halloweentown High, even though it mostly takes place in the mortal world, instead of Halloweentown.)

Also, if I participated in that survey, I would have also chosen Smart House - I have fond memories from when Disney Channel showed it all the time, but Princess Protection Program came out after it seemed like I grew out of Disney Channel's target age group. (I pinpoint Hannah Montana season two as this point.)

Erased Paper

I would've linked to that review, but it came from someone I often disagreed with. (He once wrote that fans of Halloweentown have no reason not to enjoy Halloweentown High, even though it mostly takes place in the mortal world, instead of Halloweentown.)
I didn't like the third or fourth movies. My point is that he wanted a review, so...

ToonJay723

Staff member
Before Fruity Pebbles, Post tried making cereals based on Road Runner (Beep Beep), Casper (Ghosties), and Dennis the Menace (Peanut Puffs). The test audience didn't like these pitches, so they were never made.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
YouTube let me down. I was unable to find the only episode of Turn-On!. I did however, get descriptions of the show. I want to see it.
There were actually two episodes made, only one of which actually aired. They're both kept at the Paley Center in NYC.

TCM just put out their annual In Memoriam video. I was fearing that June Foray would not be included, given that her most familiar work was in TV (that didn't stop them from including Doris Roberts of Raymond fame the previous year), only to be relieved when I found out otherwise (she's at 2:01). In fact, there's quite a few people I never expected would be included, such as Adam West and Peter Sallis. Also includes a lovely song by the Cardigans (you know, that band that did "Lovefool") that I never heard before now - it almost reminds me of Mazzy Star even. (Edited to add: Now with 100% more link!)

Last edited:

twilicorn

Then, a much shorter video on Star Channel, the precursor to The Movie Channel, which aired in the late PM/early AM hours after Nickelodeon signed off for the day.
At some point A&E, then merely known as the Arts and Entertainment channel, aired in the primetime hours when Nick wasn't on. And still at another point they just ran these slides instead (recreated by someone else):

And spinning off from the Shrek discussion in the Misfit Christmas Specials thread, here's "the Shrekoning" (since I didn't want to bloat that thread too much with weird Shrek videos)

twilicorn

merry christmas ya filthy animals

while the Grinch is in the thumbnail, his segment was removed due to a content ID claim. You can still watch it if you can, right here:

poparena

Got a double feature of Nickelodeon holiday specials. First, 1988's Christmas in Tattertown:

Then, 1995's The Weinerville Chanukah Special:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Nick KCA press site is now gone

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs

Featured Posts