The Wonderful World of YouTube Part VI

• Enter to win two tickets to Whisper of the Heart. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

poparena

May 17, 2010
California
Someone found footage of By The Way, a lost Nickelodeon show from 1979. I'll be doing an updated Nick Knacks on it soon, but in the meantime, enjoy it in all its late-70s chromakey glory.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Someone found footage of By The Way, a lost Nickelodeon show from 1979. I'll be doing an updated Nick Knacks on it soon, but in the meantime, enjoy it in all its late-70s chromakey glory.
This makes me wonder if masters for By The Way -- in the form that it aired -- actually exist. This looks like they only filmed the original material and put in the shorts randomly per day. That's only a theory though.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Today a trailer for Stranger Things Season 3 appeared that used a "clip" from Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve 1985. I happen to actually have that airing, and the actual last minute is completely different. The Stranger Things version doesn't have Lily Tomlin, for one thing:

Reactions: pacman000

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
SO MUCH PAIN
Today a trailer for Stranger Things Season 3 appeared that used a "clip" from Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve 1985. I happen to actually have that airing, and the actual last minute is completely different. The Stranger Things version doesn't have Lily Tomlin, for one thing:

That's interesting. Must be an alternate master. Or they didn't use the 1985 version at all and instead used a different year's Rockin' Eve. That's what it looks like to me.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Technically not YouTube, but worth posting here: Matt found the ad where N*SYNC does the PokeRap and then Ash captures them in a ball.

The tweet went viral because a ton of people claim to not remember it -- which is bunk; if you see something like this you NEVER forget it.

Erased Paper

Jan 17, 2005
In the refuge
z7.invisionfree.com
Technically not YouTube, but worth posting here: Matt found the ad where N*SYNC does the PokeRap and then Ash captures them in a ball.

The tweet went viral because a ton of people claim to not remember it -- which is bunk; if you see something like this you NEVER forget it.
I didn't look at the link. But, I can assure you that it WAS on YouTube. I've had the file on my computer since 2010. People didn't remember it, because it aired only once.

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
Sep 15, 2006
Salem, OR.
www.atari2600land.com
Went in search of DuMont TV shows on YouTube. Found Col. Flack. I think this would work great as a series even now. This episode has starpower even, it has a (young) Jack Klugman playing the role of Sedgewick.

Tacomaster

Aug 31, 2018
none of your business
Say hello to Wilkins and Wontkins, two early creations of Muppet man Jim Henson.

From 1957 until 1961, these two characters warned viewers of the dangers of drinking off-brand coffee, particularly any brand that wasn't Wilkins coffee (although they were used in commercials for other products). The consequences usually involved explosions, gunfire, electrocution, head trauma, and other forms of puppet violence audiences would see in variety show form twenty years later.

According to TVTropes, Henson wasn't a coffee drinker, so it was easy for him to think of ways to punish Wontkins for not drinking the coffee he was advertising - all he had to do was to think along the lines of what it would take for someone like him to drink a cup of coffee. The ads also give a sort of dark, twisted take on the number one goal of advertising - their message wasn't so much "drink Wilkins coffee because it tastes good" as it was "drink Wilkins coffee...or else!"
Care for a cup of Wilkins coffee?

AllenJ

Aug 7, 2012
New Randy Rainbow video! (Please check out this guy if you haven't yet. Highly recommended.)

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
SO MUCH PAIN
Not a YouTube video, but still deserves to be put here. The Dallas Stars more than made up for the Halftime debacle by playing a modified version of Sweet Victory at a recent game: