• Enter to win two tickets to Howl's Moving Castle. Details here.

The Wonderful World of YouTube Part VI

Latest News & Videos

Dsneybuf

A high-quality version of the first PBS logo finally appeared on YouTube last year, accompanied with an early CPB logo, to boot:

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
The first minutes of QVC from 1986. QVC stands for "Quality, Value, and Convenience."

poparena

Someone found footage of By The Way, a lost Nickelodeon show from 1979. I'll be doing an updated Nick Knacks on it soon, but in the meantime, enjoy it in all its late-70s chromakey glory.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Someone found footage of By The Way, a lost Nickelodeon show from 1979. I'll be doing an updated Nick Knacks on it soon, but in the meantime, enjoy it in all its late-70s chromakey glory.
This makes me wonder if masters for By The Way -- in the form that it aired -- actually exist. This looks like they only filmed the original material and put in the shorts randomly per day. That's only a theory though.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Today a trailer for Stranger Things Season 3 appeared that used a "clip" from Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve 1985. I happen to actually have that airing, and the actual last minute is completely different. The Stranger Things version doesn't have Lily Tomlin, for one thing:

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Today a trailer for Stranger Things Season 3 appeared that used a "clip" from Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve 1985. I happen to actually have that airing, and the actual last minute is completely different. The Stranger Things version doesn't have Lily Tomlin, for one thing:

That's interesting. Must be an alternate master. Or they didn't use the 1985 version at all and instead used a different year's Rockin' Eve. That's what it looks like to me.

Dsneybuf

Nick at Nite also made a fuss over losing Bewitched, although they got it back by the time I started watching Nickelodeon.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Technically not YouTube, but worth posting here: Matt found the ad where N*SYNC does the PokeRap and then Ash captures them in a ball.

The tweet went viral because a ton of people claim to not remember it -- which is bunk; if you see something like this you NEVER forget it.

Technically not YouTube, but worth posting here: Matt found the ad where N*SYNC does the PokeRap and then Ash captures them in a ball.

The tweet went viral because a ton of people claim to not remember it -- which is bunk; if you see something like this you NEVER forget it.
I didn't look at the link. But, I can assure you that it WAS on YouTube. I've had the file on my computer since 2010. People didn't remember it, because it aired only once.

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
Went in search of DuMont TV shows on YouTube. Found Col. Flack. I think this would work great as a series even now. This episode has starpower even, it has a (young) Jack Klugman playing the role of Sedgewick.

Tacomaster

Say hello to Wilkins and Wontkins, two early creations of Muppet man Jim Henson.

From 1957 until 1961, these two characters warned viewers of the dangers of drinking off-brand coffee, particularly any brand that wasn't Wilkins coffee (although they were used in commercials for other products). The consequences usually involved explosions, gunfire, electrocution, head trauma, and other forms of puppet violence audiences would see in variety show form twenty years later.

According to TVTropes, Henson wasn't a coffee drinker, so it was easy for him to think of ways to punish Wontkins for not drinking the coffee he was advertising - all he had to do was to think along the lines of what it would take for someone like him to drink a cup of coffee. The ads also give a sort of dark, twisted take on the number one goal of advertising - their message wasn't so much "drink Wilkins coffee because it tastes good" as it was "drink Wilkins coffee...or else!"
Care for a cup of Wilkins coffee?

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Not a YouTube video, but still deserves to be put here. The Dallas Stars more than made up for the Halftime debacle by playing a modified version of Sweet Victory at a recent game: