The Varian Spinoff That Never Came To Be

Latest News & Videos

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
Wotso Videos had an interview with Kaitlyn Ritter, one of the storyboard artists for Tangled The Series, and how she and follow storyboard artist Anna Lencioni conceived a Varian Spinoff that never came to be. It was called Varian And The Seven Kingdoms. There's a 12 minute video with a link to a podcast that's over 90 minutes long. I haven't listened to them yet, but I figured it would be interesting to see what the reaction is.

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
Sounds interesting. Though if you want to spinoff anyone, I would love to have a Lance and the girls spinoff.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Honestly, out of all of the Tangled series characters, it would make the most sense to give Varian his own spin-off. He's easily the most popular original character from the series and he has a pretty strong following based on what I've seen at least. Cassandra would also work, but after the events of season three, I think more fans would be more into seeing more of Varian than Cassandra.

The setup sounded really cool as a way to explore more of the world outside of Corona, especially when I don't think we learned a lot about most of the other kingdoms, and a way to provide further development for Varian. The details about Varian's mother were pretty cool too. I just assumed that she died when Varian was a baby since she wasn't really mentioned in the series. Most of the new characters sounded pretty neat too.

I'm not too surprised that Disney passed up on it. While Varian is popular, making a series based around a supporting character from Tangled probably sounded kind of like a financial risk. I think that there would be enough interest from fans, but it would take a lot of money for this series to get off the ground, so I can understand why they'd be cautious about it. Plus, I also can't really blame them for wanting to have Rapunzel in there. They could have Rapunzel and Eugene appear in cameos or in some episodes, but the Tangled franchise has been primarily about Rapunzel and Eugene from the start. Taking the spotlight away from them for pretty much a whole series might not have been appealing for them, especially when Rapunzel is one of their Disney Princess.

It was nice that they still liked the idea behind the series, but I'm also kind of glad that the creative team didn't just try to remove Varian and make it about original characters. They might have been able to get through at least the pilot stage, but the big appeal of the series was to showcase more of Varian's growth and show more of the world of Tangled. Removing that when they sounded so excited and passionate about continuing his story would have been kind of sad. Even though it is probably a slim chance, it would be cool if they could make this into a comic mini series or something like that. There were a few Tangled comic book issues. It still might be too much of a financial risk for Disney and it would be a shame to not have talented voice acting and singing, especially when Varian has a terrific voice actor to sing and the series had some fantastic songs, but I think Disney would be more willing to consider a comic spin-off series rather than a fully animated spin-off series, even if Rapunzel still isn't heavily featured in it.

Reactions: Fone Bone

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
Cassandra would also work, but after the events of season three, I think more fans would be more into seeing more of Varian than Cassandra.
Maybe a Varian and Cassandra series could work also. Like we start off the series with Varian and he eventually bumps into Cassandra.

Personally, I'm hoping for a Cassandra spinoff.
Yeah, I was hoping to see how her journey on finding her destiny would lead to.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Maybe a Varian and Cassandra series could work also. Like we start off the series with Varian and he eventually bumps into Cassandra.
That would be interesting, but I was pretty content with just having Cassandra go off on her own to find her destiny. She wanted to be the hero of her own story. She couldn't do that while being with Rapunzel, so I don't think it would work out well with Varian, especially when the show was designed to be effectively his own story.

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
That would be interesting, but I was pretty content with just having Cassandra go off on her own to find her destiny. She wanted to be the hero of her own story. She couldn't do that while being with Rapunzel, so I don't think it would work out well with Varian, especially when the show was designed to be effectively his own story.
Eh, Rapunzel was the princess of her kingdom and had the ability to do what she wants(mostly). Adding that she was missing for so long, she of course would get a lot of attention towards herself. Which is why Cassandra couldn't shine as a hero while in Corona. Varian on the other hand, doesn't have any of that. He doesn't seem like the fighting-hero-type either. So he wouldn't be able to take away any chance of Cassandra being a hero of her own story.
But I agree about Cassandra not being able to do that if a spin-off starts off with Varian, so let's switch it with it starting with Cass and she eventually bumps into Varian. Varian would pretty much take Eugene's place of the series.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Eh, Rapunzel was the princess of her kingdom and had the ability to do what she wants(mostly). Adding that she was missing for so long, she of course would get a lot of attention towards herself. Which is why Cassandra couldn't shine as a hero while in Corona. Varian on the other hand, doesn't have any of that. He doesn't seem like the fighting-hero-type either. So he wouldn't be able to take away any chance of Cassandra being a hero of her own story.
But I agree about Cassandra not being able to do that if a spin-off starts off with Varian, so let's switch it with it starting with Cass and she eventually bumps into Varian. Varian would pretty much take Eugene's place of the series.
Varian isn't the fighting type of hero, but the story, based on the information we have, was centered around him. Maybe they could have incorporated Cassandra within his cast, but it still seems like it would have been difficult to give Cassandra a meaningful role when the show was pitched to be a continuation of Varian's story first and foremost. Varian taking Eugene's place of the series in terms of screentime and development could work, but that would require a different setup since the show would be primarily about Cassandra instead.

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
Varian taking Eugene's place of the series in terms of screentime and development could work, but that would require a different setup since the show would be primarily about Cassandra instead.
That's what I mean, adapt and blend the two character stories together. Plots tend to change from their original stories all the time anyway. So a show that primarily focuses on Cassandra and Varian joining her could work, since Varian wouldn't upstage her like Rapunzel would, and there could still work in Varian focused episodes without Cassandra as well.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The winner for this Media Brackets competition is Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars, which got 4 votes. Quack Pack got 1 vote. Thanks to everyone for participating. The article is next week.

So, this is fitting. Also, why does this meme only go until September?

Here are the most notable South Asian voices.
The 2015 Fantastic Four film was released 5 years ago today.
Kitschensyngk wrote on Harley's profile.
Who do I contact over at Popgeeks about server problems? I've having difficulties accessing the server to update my website.