The Tick (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Tick "Pilot"

This is a serious take on the comic book parody premise which automatically means it's my least favorite.

I'll say one thing it has over the last live-action series: It's not a sitcom. We get to witness the actual adventures.

Tick laughing at he is riddled with bullets was the only truly funny thing in the episode.

The Terror is genuinely scary.

Patrick Warburton has a producing credit.

Warburton is a WAY better Tick than Peter Serafinowicz. But Griffin Newman is a pretty amazing Arthur, especially as the series goes on.

Why is Dot hot?

A bit of a disappointment. **1/2.

The Tick "Where's My Mind"

I don't like the f bombs or the gut-splattering violence. Inappropriate for this franchise.

Chum is also a word for the meat they feed sharks. Good observation from Arthur there.

I love that Ms. Lint puts the glass eye in her mouth to moisten it.

"You don't kill people for calling you names. You kill people because it's fun." The Terror sucks.

I actually like the idea that perhaps the Tick is a figment of Arthur's imagination, and I could have stood to have seen that mystery last a little longer.

I don't love this show. **1/2.

The Tick "Secret / Identity"

Overkill is a good name for him.

Does the Tick have amnesia or is he simply stupid and crazy? I think it's the second thing. It's touching Arthur wants to help him with that and all, but I don't think that's the actual problem.

Still not digging this show. **1/2.

The Tick "Party Crashers"

Alan Tudyk as Dangerboat? Sold on that.

There is a definite flirtatious aspect between Arthur and Ms. Lint.

Tick not recognizing Ms. Lint suggests it's not amnesia. He's just super dumb.

I love Derek's "This is what a feminist looks like" shirt.

So-so. ***.

The Tick "Fear Of Flying"

Solid episode with a good cliffhanger.

Townsend Coleman as the talking dog, huh? Neat.

The look on Ms. Lint's face as Derek asks if she'd like a towel is priceless.

The Tick can't tell Ramses what to say. "Destroy them!" So there.

This was the first episode I liked. ***1/2.

The Tick "Rising"

Cliffhanger! AAAHH!

I think the bus rescue was outright great. I found it the first emotionally effecting thing in the entire franchise. I'm not sure that it actually belongs in this franchise, to be honest, but it was cool as far as emotionally effecting stuff goes.

The Terror killed all the bees. Total d-word move.

Another solid episode. ***1/2.

The Tick "Tales From The Crypt"

Dangerboat's gay? And in love with Arthur? Okay.

Arthur carrying the shrunken scientist out of the lair was funny. But the special effects there weren't altogether convincing.

The more I see of the Terror, the less impressed I am with him.

Meh. ***.

The Tick "After Midnight"

I like that the Tick likes Midnight's voice. Midnight doesn't actually sound much like the cartoon Tick though.

I didn't predict that Overkill was Sharpshooter. I like that he and Midnight fight over who is the extraneous member of the group.

I love that Overkill calls an Uber. Tick doesn't know what that is.

Dog fight! Loved it.

Pretty good episode. ***1/2.

The Tick "My Dinner With Android"

So that's Superian.... Uh oh.

First Spoon incident. Hasn't become a catchphrase yet. But he's thinking about it.

Honestly, I was bored by this. I felt like the series was spinning its wheels in place a bit. **.

The Tick "Risky Bismuth"

If Arthur hadn't called the Terror's plan stupid, I would have.

Am I nuts or is Ms. Lint sexy as heck? I don't think I'm nuts.

Speaking of which Dot and Overkill need to get a room.

Laughed at Terror and the pig. Also liked pondering the worths of maniacal laughs versus maniacal chuckles.

All right. ***.

The Tick "The Beginning Of The End"

Goat's reaction to Superian says how everyone in this Universe reacts to him. He is just as well-loved and famous as Superman.

Superian's psychology is interesting. He seems to like adulation and doesn't want to work hard for it. Yet he claims the reason he helps people is because he wants to be a good person. And it's the fact that I can't tell whether he IS a good person or not which is why those facets interest me so much. I wish they had been explored further. It was the most fascinating thing the show has done so far.

Before escaping Dot makes sure to tell Overkill and Lint they need therapy. You think?

I'm still not fully on-board this show. ***.

The Tick "The End Of The Beginning (Of The Start Of The Dawn Of The Age Of Superheroes)"

Reasonably satisfying finale.

I not only liked the questions raised by Big Brother. But what did Terror mean when he wanted to take back the world? And how does Walter know all those sick Kung Fu moves? Is he lying about not remembering doing them to keep undercover for whatever reason? Or has he been brainwashed / programmed not to remember that stuff after he's been activated? Very interesting questions. Knowing there isn't a season three makes me cynical of how good of answers we'll get for them.

Arthur's "Why You Suck" moment against the Terror mattered to me. He's been terrified of this guy his entire life, and he realizes the dude is stupid, his plans make no sense, and the damage he inflicted on Arthur and the city is so far from what he planned and intended that it could almost be classified as accidental. Him getting a chance to save a father from the falling flying headquarters was also a meaningful moment.

If I have a gripe, it's that the series, or at least the season, doesn't actually seem to be about the Tick. I understand that's because the show is part drama, but it's very unusual that the Tick plays such a supporting role in the finale and the climax. I'm not saying it's wrong exactly. But it's definitely odd.

First "Not in the face! Not in the face!" Hopefully not the last.

This was the best episode so far. That may not be saying much but I think it wrapped things up pretty well. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Tick "Lesson One: Think Quick!"

Love the Tick's new costume. Much closer to the Patrick Warburton version.

Maybe Arthur should have chosen a superhero name different from his actual one.

I laughed at Dangerboat referencing "As you wish" from The Princess Bride.

The Tick and Overkill's hug fight was funny.

Dot's reaction to Tick drinking coffee out of the pot was priceless. But why does she object to sharing the coffee after that and yet shares a bottle of whiskey with Overkill?

Her being concerned that the Tick hits Arthur is very interesting. Never considered that their relationship might be thought of as abusive.

The new TV-14 rating probably means no more f-bombs. Good.

Interesting that Overkill thinks his no-kill promise is a hindrance to his job. I know Sharpshooter's name hints he used lethal force too but it strikes me as odd that the Flag 5 would have allowed that.

Tick and Arthur being in the new Flag 5 is gonna be neat.

Jackie Earle Haley is apparently no longer on the show. Fine with me. Dude creeps me out in every role I've seen him in.

I predict I will like this season more than the first. We are already off to a better start. ****.

The Tick "A.E.G.I.S. And You"

Lobstercules is a good name. So is Edgelord.

The Molemen are referenced here.

I had no idea Dot was there for the death of her and Arthur's father and that she suffered trauma and survivor's guilt from it, but it makes total sense.

"If you want to be less confused, come with me." That's great.

John Hodgeman gettin' work.

I love that Tick broke the arm wrestling machine and was the first person to ever beat it. The look on Hobbes' face over that was great too.

For the record, Barium is nasty.

Things are black and white with Overkill because his eyes are cybernetic and he can't change the settings. Excellent!

That got tense so Dangerboat puts on some salsa music.

Superian getting ticked off at the end. Interesting that pundits suck no matter the universe.

Arthur being asked to keep tabs on the Tick sounds reasonable but probably isn't.

Decent episode. ****.

The Tick "Hot Beige!"

It's a spreevil! I love it. Selfish Shellfish is also great.

Superian is super needy.

I love that the Tick is delighted by shaking hands with Flexon.

Squeeze ya later! I want to be interrogated by the Tick.

Arthur's rejections only makes Dangerboat want him more.

The stuff with Overkill and Ty Rathbone was outright cool.

I love that the Tick refers to Dot and Arthur as "The kids" to Joan over the phone.

Two people named Joan on the series? That will get confusing.

I like Ms. Lint's new costume.

Arthur was both good and bad at undercover at the club.

Rathbone's black hole heart is alarming.

Solid. ***1/2.

The Tick "Blood And Cake"

That was a moving scene of acknowledging love between Dangerboat and Arthur. I was surprised at how much it touched me.

And it's interesting that it was Arthur who made the last ditch effort to save Dangerboat. If anything Arthur should feel uncomfortable and creeped out by Dangerboat's behavior towards him. Instead he feels sympathy which is a really cool and interesting thing. It's certainly not something I would feel, or at least not the primary thing I would feel. The fact that Arthur knows why Dangerboat is so "friendly" towards him, and isn't annoyed by it says that Arthur is a good person.

Speaking of which, that Superian advice really backfired, didn't it?

I will never get used to Hot Dot. Still I think it's super cool that she has the ability to undo Tick's No-Kill wish with Overkill. I'm wondering if there is something supernatural involved with the Code. Overkill doesn't seem to believe violating it is an option, when it totally is. Perhaps because of the tech in his body, he's unable to. I don't know. I don't expect to learn the logic of it by the end of the series but I'm interested anyways.

I love the 28th Amendment idea. It was cool in season 1, but I love the idea that somebody like Ms. Lint can abuse it for her own advantage. I also like that in this specific Universe, secret identities seem pretty easy for most people to guess. That's actually realistic. A mask would probably not fool many people who actually knew a given hero in their real life.

I liked the arguments everyone got into over who gets to decide how to mete out justice, and who gets to be the person who does it. It's an interesting argument I'd like to see followed up on at some point, although I don't expect so. Maybe if the series had lasted another season.

Human furniture is a truly sick idea. The bad guys on this show suck.

Surprisingly moving episode. Never expected that from this franchise. ****1/2.

The Tick "Magic Is Real"

Liz Vassey as Lobstercules?! Yes, please!

Lobstercules being a victim and a mother being blackmailed by the safety of her kids is an amazing twist. Also amazing is ending the episode with Joan Of Arc capturing her. That is perfect. I cannot say enough good things about that.

Bob is a great character and concept. Is she from the comics or the cartoon? It feels like I've seen her before.

Sage is cool too. Although the third nipple creeps me out.

Prediction: Superian is going to be the Big Bad. If not this season, he would have been had the show continued.

That was fantastic. Best episode so far. *****.

The Tick "Categorically Speaking"

Arthur's actual superpower is navigating red tape. That was a good meet/cute too.

I think the episode was pretty amazing. Superian is outright crazy. And the worst thing is that nobody stands up to him because no-one can actually stop him. But I don't think he's faced the Tick.

Doctor Agent Hobbes is clearly sinister, although Rathbone still strikes me as ambiguous. Tantalizing hints about Walter and why he hooked up with Joan, that I hope will be fully revealed by the end of the season.

The scene where the Tick holds his hand up to the cage and swears to protect Lobstercules' children was the thing that made the episode amazing for me. I would never have predicted this specific franchise could EVER hit me in the feels. But this shockingly did. I stand amazed and humbled.

Tinfoil Kevin's stuff with Dot was great too. I don't feel like good things are coming to that character and I need Dot to make the connection now to make whatever is obviously going to happen have resonance. But when he tells her AEGIS doesn't see Categories as human, and that when you start doing that bad things start to happen, I am aware those bad things are about to happen to him. I hope the pathos lives up to it. The set-up here indicates it will, but you never know.

Interestingly, my lukewarm opinion on Season 1 hasn't actually changed. It's the series itself that has gotten great. Me getting used to the show has nothing to do with that.

Another great episode. ****1/2.

The Tick "Lei-Lo, Ho!"

Big romantic moment for Dot and Overkill at the end. Even the funny "Drama!" chorus at the end couldn't undercut how big it was.

I'm really questioning why Wu looking exactly like Walter didn't raise any red flags for Dot last episode. She might have saved herself some future grief.

Either the idea of becoming a hero is driving Ms. Lint crazy, or something else is going on with the evil mirror double. I think something else is going on, but I could be wrong.

The dance party was fun because it was lame and everyone knows it's lame. We're allowed to enjoy it for once.

Lei-Lo Hotel. I just got that. I'm a dope.

That was good. ****.

The Tick "Joan!"

Everything important that happens in this episode happens in Arthur's apartment.

The stuff with his mother was great. And Walter's stuff was Dot was too. I'm glad it appears he's NOT a Black Hat after all. What I especially like is that his motivations for his secret and falling in love with Joan are rational instead of ludicrous. This is a very different take on the premise if only for that alone. '

John Wu. I like that.

I cannot decide if Superian is a sociopath of not. He's callous and doesn't seem to care about human beings. On the other hand he wants to do the right thing, and is trying to be a better person. It's just that I think he's doing that for all the wrong reasons. I still predict he's the Big Bad of the entire series. If I'm wrong by the finale I'm confident it would have happened in a future season had the series not been canceled.

Good stuff. ****.

The Tick "In The Woods"

Dire and excellent ending. The drama and pathos of the moment landed perfectly.

Did not actually expect Hobbes to be the Duke himself, but in hindsight, there is no-one else he could be.

It's interesting that even though he died, Rathbone WAS actually on the right side.

I love Tick's scenes with Walter, because it is very clear how fond Walter is of the Tick. He clearly adores him and that makes me adore Walter.

So maybe Ms. Lint is crazy after all. If so, it's crazy in a good way.

Have to watch the finale now. ****1/2.

The Tick "Choose Love!"

That last scene says we were robbed of a cool season 3. And yes, Superian would have been the Big Bad.

Superian answers the question of what would happen if Superman were emotionally stunted and needy. It's not a good look or answer.

I like the idea that Ms. Lint saved the day by resorting to villainy and betrayal. She's a hero and a villain at the same time, which is exactly the right place to leave off the character.

The drama with Hobbes and his disgusting views, and the "They won't" romance between Dot and Overkill, it's just all great.

And I love that the Tick takes the pounding from Lobstercules because he refuses to fight an innocent mom. I love that.

I love that the Tick's role was properly large for the finale, and the fact that last finale he seemed a supporting player is why last year sucked. His role in the finale is basically the episode's title. He's the moral center and gets everyone to embrace the sap. And I don't want to hear any complaints from cynical fans complaining that this episode was too sappy. That's not an actual legit complaint. Sappiness has its place. And it was well-done and earned here. Good and unusual writing from Ben Edlund here.

I am a little embarrassed yet glad my elaborate theory about Kevin being a sacrificial lamb to motivate the good guys to win was wrong. Here was my problem. I accepted the darkness the show was showing us at face value. The finale let us know the show is a lot more optimistic than I gave the series credit for. But after the gutsplattering violence last season can you blame my confusion? My theory presupposed that Kevin's potential death is an example of good writing set-up. Perhaps it's actually better writing that the show doesn't feel the need to kill him off at all.

The ending was super happy all around. Even Rathbone came back. And Sage notes, that's totally gonna be a thing in the future (or it would have been). And the family forgives, loves, and accepts Walter as one of their own. I am glad to have gotten closure about that bit at least.

Disappointed Arthur being forced to keep tabs on the Tick was never addressed. But maybe it's better that they didn't.

At least we got the "Spoooooon!" battle-cry in the last episode.

I wish this show had lasted longer. But a Tick show wouldn't be a Tick show if it weren't royally screwed by the network and canceled too soon. Frankly, that seems to be part of the mystique. We at least got more out of this than Patrick Warburton's version. But this also ended too soon. ****1/2.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts