The "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Curious to see what is coming up for The Spectacular Spider-Man? Check out this thread for all the latest news and updates on the newest animated incarnation of everyone's favorite Web-Slinger!

Click for a larger image!

For the latest news, check out the newest posts in this thread!

Related Threads:
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 2
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 3
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 4
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 5

Note: Please keep this topic, and the discussion found within, on-topic. Thank you.

Goodfellow

any network news(what channel will it be on)?

WB obviously. But March, why are they making us wait until then for it? That is too freaking long. What happened to seasons running from Sept-May every year? Now it seems like you are forced to wait 8-13 months for a new season, especially if the show does not start in the Fall.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
WB obviously. But March, why are they making us wait until then for it? That is too freaking long. What happened to seasons running from Sept-May every year? Now it seems like you are forced to wait 8-13 months for a new season, especially if the show does not start in the Fall.

Its not going to air on CW4Kids. It's going to air on another network.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star

It's because of its unusual premiere date in March. It's true that usually 13-episode seasons are spread out over a year for Saturday morning cartoons, but for whatever reason, they didn't want to put any substantial breaks between weekly premieres.

And Mugen, it's not 100% confirmed that season two won't air on the CW. The "site that must be named" isn't always reliable.

joltman

I don't get why people are making such a big deal about waiting until March. I mean, yea, I'd like to see it sooner, but really that is a year between premieres, it's no different than if the first season premiered in sept 07 and then the second season premiered in sept 08.

Hypestyle

uh.. so is a season 3 still in limbo? if so, I guess seas. 3 won't be until 2010.. bleh.. the 90's show turned out seasons on a more accelerated schedule..

Goodfellow

I don't get why people are making such a big deal about waiting until March. I mean, yea, I'd like to see it sooner, but really that is a year between premieres, it's no different than if the first season premiered in sept 07 and then the second season premiered in sept 08.

There is a difference between a season that premiers in March and ends in June than a season that premiers in March and ends in Nov when it is not going to be until the following March for its premier. They rushed through Season 1 way too quickly, which I thought was great at first, but I did not know they were going to make us wait until March to get the next one. Why can't Season 2 start in Sept/Oct?

Hypestyle, there is one flaw in your post. The 90s series couldn't air an episode in order if it bit them in the ass. How many times did we go through a story arc and then they skipped somewhere between Chapters 7-10 depending on the arc. I think it was Neogenic Nightmare 9 and 10, Sins of the Fathers 7-9, and then 7-8 of whatever the name of the arc that came after that.

lumpmoose

They rushed through Season 1 way too quickly, which I thought was great at first, but I did not know they were going to make us wait until March to get the next one. Why can't Season 2 start in Sept/Oct?
Blame Sony. They only asked for 13 episodes for the 'first season' (if you can even call 13 episodes a season). So it wasn't a matter rushing season 1 but simply not having enough episodes to tell a large number of stories. And Sony only asked for 13 episodes for season 2, so chances are season 2 will air March - June 2009 and we won't get season 3 until March 2010. And Sony still hasn't approved season 3 and they're losing crew members. From producer Greg Weisman on Thursday:

I can't give you numbers. They still haven't picked us up for Season Three, and today we had a farewell party for the majority of the crew (that is the majority that still remains -- many have already been laid off). This includes our character designer Sean "Cheeks" Galloway. After a few more weeks, we'll be down to myself, Vic Cook and our post-production team. We're hoping when we get a pick-up that we'll be able to bring the whole crew back more or less intact, but we already know that a few individuals on our staff already have new jobs and probably will not be coming back. Vic and I and our post-team are on until early January. One would hope we'd get the pick-up by then, but if it doesn't come soon I'll HAVE to look for a new job. Preferably a new job that will allow me to come back and do Spidey if/when (probably WHEN not if) it's picked up. But beggars can't be choosers, you know, and I have a mortgage to pay and kids, dogs and a cat to feed.
Sony is really screwing up what could have been the most profitable cartoon in years.

comicchaser

The Random Germ(an)
Blame Sony. They only asked for 13 episodes for the 'first season' (if you can even call 13 episodes a season). So it wasn't a matter rushing season 1 but simply not having enough episodes to tell a large number of stories. And Sony only asked for 13 episodes for season 2, so chances are season 2 will air March - June 2009 and we won't get season 3 until March 2010. And Sony still hasn't approved season 3 and they're losing crew members. From producer Greg Weisman on Thursday:

Sony is really screwing up what could have been the most profitable cartoon in years.

Great, what I feared the most, is actually happening. How can the persons responsible over at sony be so incredibly incompetent? What a waste. I'm so angry at this reluctant handling of a great show as this one.

Mod edit: Please watch your language.

User Edit: The word already got censored by the forum script before you interfered, what's the big deal?

Last edited by a moderator:

W.C.Reaf

Sony probably has a good reason for not picking up for a third season. It might not be a reason we'd like, but it'll be a good reason.

I think there's nothing wrong with 13 episode series. Over here in the UK we get 6 ep series for our shows, or 4 eps of a 2 hour per ep series that get's randomly distributed to whenever the network feels like putting it on. 13 eps per season is a gift.

I don't see that much wrong with showing the episodes, nearly, all at once. If you split up a season so it ends closer to the next season start then you'll have people complaining about not having the eps shown weekly. There's also the risk of not having the audience know when a new episode is going to air so the ratings go down.

I also had the pleasure of seeing SMTAS in the correct order when it was first shown on Live and Kicking. Ah good times.

creativerealms

Thirteen is the standard size for many animated series now aways.

Also I would not call airing the first thirteen episodes in thirteen weeks rushing it anymore then I would call airing a thirteen episode season over six months dragging it out. Both will piss people off, everything pisses people off.

Spideyzilla

Staff member

Hey I wrote that question! As for Sony... KEEP THE SHOW! Thank, had to say that. After reading some more of Greg's responses, I starting to think the networks are the problem because there is no pick-up.

Captain Highwind

From producer Greg Weisman on Thursday:

They still haven't picked us up for Season Three, and today we had a farewell party for the majority of the crew (that is the majority that still remains -- many have already been laid off). This includes our character designer Sean "Cheeks" Galloway.

Wow.

If the planets align just right (or misalign, however you want to look at it), we could be seeing a mid-series design change if this thing survives.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
I'm getting confused. I thought Greg said they did have a pick-up. Should I be worried about the show's future?

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Any news on a UK air date

The only news I have heard... (and it's on wikipedia, so with a grain of salt as always :shrug:), is that The Spectacular Spider-man will air in the UK from...

September 6th on the channel Nicktoons.!

EDIT: Yep... just seen an advertisement on Nicktoons saying that the show is 'Coming Soon'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts