The "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread, Part 6 (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weibart

Intercept Now!
Reporter
Aug 15, 2003
Ratings
Check Out "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Canadian Airings Talkback.

So was "Blueprints" as great as I've been hoping? :D
Discussion of the Canadian Airings of Season 2 can be brought to "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Canadian Airings Talkback (Spoilers).

Please keep Canadian aired Season Two episode discussion and spoiler box appropriate material in "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Canadian Airings Talkback.

Please avoid discussing that material in any threads other than "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Canadian Airings Talkback.

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2004
Ratings
Oh I know the rumor he gave me was false but you seemed to misunderstand what I said. I said "Also" Cartoon Network. Meaning the false rumor this guy is spreading is that Spectacular Spider-man season two will air on both Disney XD and Cartoon Network. I mean I was not fooled for a second but there are other people on this site I go to who actually believed him.

W

WarTech

I just got done watching the entire season of the Spectacular Spiderman. While I like where it's going with it's story, it just really left me disspointed.

The good things about this show is the action as it flows really well when we see Spider-Man. Then there is the ongoing story which well made for a kid's cartoon along with the characters interactions.

Now for the bad parts. I didn't like the stupid changes they made to certain characters like Liz Allen, Ned Leeds, Sally Avril, etc. They come off as cliche and uncreative. If the creators wanted to attract a diverse race demographic for thier show, then why didn't they just create new characters instead of changing the original characters into unoriginal sterotypes. The original characters worked well in the comics, the movies, and the old cartoons so why not in this one.

I also didn't like some of the drama moments it had, because it just comes of corny and stupid even for a kid show. Take for example, when Peter freaks out when Aunt May tries to introduce him to a girl next door with a personality. I don't understand why he's freaking out, I myself would love a girl with a personality (if she looks decent that is) instead of some hot girl with an attitude that your not going to be happy with in the end.

Lastly, the fights on the last 2 episodes were very disappointing. The whole battle of the minds comes off as cheesy but I guess it's acceptable. Though I think that they shouldn't dragged it out that long. Then there was the final battle with Venom that was a total cop out when Peter says "I give up you can have me." and then the symbiote is like "Let me see? Yeah I"ll bond with Peter even though he tried to get rid of me before and this is obviously a trap". That fight couldv'e ended on a better note than that.

So overall it's a ok series but, with it's problems I mentioned above is keeping me from enjoying this series. Since it doesn't keep me interested that from enjoying this show any futher I'll give it a 5/10.

GregX

Dec 1, 2004
Los Angeles or New York.
Now for the bad parts. I didn't like the stupid changes they made to certain characters like Liz Allen, Ned Leeds, Sally Avril, etc. They come off as cliche and uncreative. If the creators wanted to attract a diverse race demographic for thier show, then why didn't they just create new characters instead of changing the original characters into unoriginal sterotypes. The original characters worked well in the comics, the movies, and the old cartoons so why not in this one..
Ever been to Manhattan? Everyone is white except for one editor at a newspaper and his son... NYC has only two non-Caucasians.

And yeah, Ned, Sally and Liz... they were 100% accurate to the comics in the movies, weren't they?

I also didn't like some of the drama moments it had, because it just comes of corny and stupid even for a kid show. Take for example, when Peter freaks out when Aunt May tries to introduce him to a girl next door with a personality. I don't understand why he's freaking out, I myself would love a girl with a personality (if she looks decent that is) instead of some hot girl with an attitude that your not going to be happy with in the end..
Yeah, those hacks Stan Lee and Steve Ditko... how dare they do that in the comics. Rubbish.

So, you're saying you wouldn't like a girl with a personality that didn't look decent?

Lastly, the fights on the last 2 episodes were very disappointing. The whole battle of the minds comes off as cheesy but I guess it's acceptable. Though I think that they shouldn't dragged it out that long. Then there was the final battle with Venom that was a total cop out when Peter says "I give up you can have me." and then the symbiote is like "Let me see? Yeah I"ll bond with Peter even though he tried to get rid of me before and this is obviously a trap". That fight couldv'e ended on a better note than that..
Yeah, stupid David Michiline and Todd McFarlane for doing that in the comics. What did they know?

:D

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
May 13, 2006
Ratings
202 1
Advanced Idea Mechanics
Now for the bad parts. I didn't like the stupid changes they made to certain characters like Liz Allen, Ned Leeds, Sally Avril, etc. They come off as cliche and uncreative. If the creators wanted to attract a diverse race demographic for thier show, then why didn't they just create new characters instead of changing the original characters into unoriginal sterotypes. The original characters worked well in the comics, the movies, and the old cartoons so why not in this one.

I also didn't like some of the drama moments it had, because it just comes of corny and stupid even for a kid show. Take for example, when Peter freaks out when Aunt May tries to introduce him to a girl next door with a personality. I don't understand why he's freaking out, I myself would love a girl with a personality (if she looks decent that is) instead of some hot girl with an attitude that your not going to be happy with in the end.
For the first one, Greg Weisman made it a personal goal to only use characters from the comics. That means, every single character, as long as they have a name or speaking role, is straight from the comics. Plus, most of Spidey's supporting characters are white, but this isn't the 50's or 60's where only whites were important characters. The ethnic changes where done to change the ethnicity of some of these characters WITHOUT altering their personalitis. Liz Allen is still the popular cheerleader who like Pete, only Puerto Rican. Ned Leeds/Lee is still a curious reporter at the Bugle, only Asian and a slightly different last name. The only change that was done to Sally was the color of her hair, but her witchy personality remains. I don't see the big deal just because their names are different.

As for the second one, Pete may be the hero and all, but he still makes mistakes. Like most teenage boys, he's going to be shallow, and like all shallow teenagers, he's going to equate "great personality" with "uglyness". Also, that was taken from Mary Jane's introduction in the early comics. I thought it was well done.

EDIT: Grrr. Greg beat me to it!

Last edited by a moderator:

W.C.Reaf

Jan 9, 2007
Ratings
UK
As others have said, they wanted a Spidey world that isn't 90% Caucasian, also there would be the same complaints if they'd just done new characters. About how it's uncreative and stupid, it also avoids the awkwardness of "have you met my friend, Jonny Token?" to introducing these new characters.

It's not that he doesn't want a girl with a personality, although he's a teenage boy so I don't think it' on his top priorities, but the joke is that whenever someone describes a potential date as "having a wonderful personality" it implies that her looks aren't worth talking about. That was the joke, as everyone knows what MJ looks like thanks to the movies, so we get the added joke of knowing Pete marries that girl and is scared to even see her at first.

Lastly, the fights on the last 2 episodes were very disappointing. The whole battle of the minds comes off as cheesy but I guess it's acceptable. Though I think that they shouldn't dragged it out that long. Then there was the final battle with Venom that was a total cop out when Peter says "I give up you can have me." and then the symbiote is like "Let me see? Yeah I"ll bond with Peter even though he tried to get rid of me before and this is obviously a trap". That fight couldv'e ended on a better note than that.
That's how the very first Venom fight ended in the comics, the symbiote tried to bond with "it's first love" again and failed. While it's obviously a stupid thing to do, to get back together with the person who has just rejected you, but it does happen and ends in heartbreak.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
730 2
Canada
I just got done watching the entire season of the Spectacular Spiderman. While I like where it's going with it's story, it just really left me disspointed.

The good things about this show is the action as it flows really well when we see Spider-Man. Then there is the ongoing story which well made for a kid's cartoon along with the characters interactions.

So overall it's a ok series but, with it's problems I mentioned above is keeping me from enjoying this series. Since it doesn't keep me interested that from enjoying this show any futher I'll give it a 5/10.
I heartily disagree, but you have your own opinion, and I respect that. By the way, welcome to Toon Zone.

Thorn

Ball of Tape
Dec 16, 2004
Ratings
Breadbasket
I didn't like the stupid changes they made to certain characters like Liz Allen, Ned Leeds, Sally Avril, etc. They come off as cliche and uncreative. If the creators wanted to attract a diverse race demographic for thier show, then why didn't they just create new characters instead of changing the original characters into unoriginal sterotypes.
So, if I'm understanding correctly, the very act of dipping the paintbrush into a different shade of fleshtone and applying it to the drawn image of a character (who's personality has little or nothing to do with race) not only irrevocably alters that character, but sends a subliminal message to writers that they must become hacks, and write minorities as shallow ethnic stereotypes.

How is this possible? Is a character's behavior supposed to be viewed through the prism of race, first and formost? Is it that the trauma of seeing a non-white skintone causes whites to universalize a given character's behavior to an entire ethnicity?

Well gee, I guess Liz is a stereotype, now that I, as a white woman, think on it. Everybody knows that Peurto Ricans are so....cheerleadery, what with the pompoms and the needing tutoring and breaking up with jerks and the hots for science nerds. And those Asians, with their enthusiastic reportage on vigilantes, and crushing noobs on high-school football teams! Oh, you know those types, always doing that type of stuff. That stuff only those people do. [/sarcasm]

Anwar

Lord of the Vindaloovians
Mar 18, 2005
Ratings
Moncton
That's how the very first Venom fight ended in the comics, the symbiote tried to bond with "it's first love" again and failed. While it's obviously a stupid thing to do, to get back together with the person who has just rejected you, but it does happen and ends in heartbreak.

Well, actually that was how their SECOND fight ended. The first one Peter just outsmarted Venom by making it use up most of its strength making webbing (it made webbing out of its' own mass so if it used up too much the symbiote would only be a small patch on Brock.). The second time around he used the "you wanted me come and get me" thing.

AlgeaX

Oh, hello?
May 17, 2008
Underwater Lair
www.facebook.com
A prime example of truth in fiction. When you get right down to it, the symbiote is really just Peter's psycho ex-girlfriend; totally incapable of just moving on.

So I'm getting that you are upset that they didn't completely alter the source material. Since your problem seems to be with the comics' stories rather than the show, I'll have to give your review a 1/10. :0)

W.C.Reaf

Jan 9, 2007
Ratings
UK
Well, actually that was how their SECOND fight ended. The first one Peter just outsmarted Venom by making it use up most of its strength making webbing (it made webbing out of its' own mass so if it used up too much the symbiote would only be a small patch on Brock.). The second time around he used the "you wanted me come and get me" thing.
I completely forgot about that, I don't know how I managed to mix the two up. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.
When Is the Nickelodeon Highlights usually up for December? I Was just wondering...