The Super-Unauthorized, Unofficial 'Homages to classic movies in the DCAU' thread!

b.t.

possibly the weirdest dcau film reference/homage of all time:

ever wonder where we got the idea to cast decidedly un-femme ed asner as granny goodness? check out "the mother muffin affair" episode of THE GIRL FROM U.N.C.L.E., featuring boris karloff in full drag as the eponymous THRUSH agent, making goo-goo eyes at napoleon solo and sneering beeyotch-ily at april dancer....it's one of the absolute coolest (if not downright deranged) karloff performances ever....

M

MikeyMango

I meant to list this earlier... In "Avatar", we find a reference to another Universal monster film, this time 1932's "The Mummy". The artifact that Karloff's Imhotep uses to reanimate his lost love is called the Scroll of Thoth. In "Avatar", the name of the female mummy that is brought back to life is Thoth Kapera. Might just be a coincidence, but I doubt it.

John Cage

Mystery Man, 666+ Posts Strong
Hi there

b.t. said:

ever wonder where we got the idea to cast decidedly un-femme ed asner as granny goodness? check out "the mother muffin affair" episode of THE GIRL FROM U.N.C.L.E., featuring boris karloff in full drag as the eponymous THRUSH agent, making goo-goo eyes at napoleon solo and sneering beeyotch-ily at april dancer....it's one of the absolute coolest (if not downright deranged) karloff performances ever....
Wow. That's really cool and creepy. I wonder if that's how other actors were cast. Because of some weird thing someone on the creative team had seen years earlier, I mean. Not because of Boris Karloff in drag. Which would still be interesting, I suppose. Boris Karloff in a, uh, dress.

*cough*

Have a good day then.
John Cage, the Mystery Man

DLM

Greenman
Old thread but something in "Wake the Dead" made me remember it:

I got a "Lord of the Rings" vibe when GL tell HK "Give me the mace". It reminds me of when Sam makes the same offer to Frodo of the ring, though HG didn't get all psycho about it the way Frodo did. I figured its not only an homage but a slight poke in the ribs to all the internet fan's who grouse about the mace being an "all powerfull superweapon". Actually, was the scene Im thinking of actually in the movies or am I just thinking of the books? Anyway, either way Im pretty sure the reference is there in the episode.

Lunchbox

Silly McGooses said:
I can happily say I have never watched that particular 90-minute toy commercial. That's the one old Orson Wells wasted his voice on, right?
Wasted? Wasted?! Pal, he was Unicron. A robot the size of a planet, that ate planets, and, completing this holy trilogy, turned into a planet. I could die happy if I got the chance to voice that.

P.S. Beast Wars represent.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
Lunchbox said:
Wasted? Wasted?! Pal, he was Unicron. A robot the size of a planet, that ate planets, and, completing this holy trilogy, turned into a planet. I could die happy if I got the chance to voice that.
Orson Welles would have died happy if he'd gotten the oportunity to finish the half-dozen films he didn't have the cash to finish, or had been able to begin one of the many projects he despartely needed funding for. Stuff like the Transformers was prostitution for him--a neccesary evil.

maxnugget

Avenger of evil and ignorance
b.t. said:

I've been wondering for a long time where that idea came from...though, like many here, the inspiration is before my time. :p

Lunchbox

Revelator said:
Orson Welles would have died happy if he'd gotten the oportunity to finish the half-dozen films he didn't have the cash to finish, or had been able to begin one of the many projects he despartely needed funding for. Stuff like the Transformers was prostitution for him--a neccesary evil.
Maybe if he had spent less time pissing off yellow journalists, he wouldn't have been in that mess. And he'd still be a giant, planet-eating robot.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Lunchbox said:
Maybe if he had spent less time pissing off yellow journalists, he wouldn't have been in that mess. And he'd still be a giant, planet-eating robot.
Yeah and a film regarded by many as one of, if not the greatest of all-time would never have been made.

Lunchbox

The Penguin said:
Yeah and a film regarded by many as one of, if not the greatest of all-time would never have been made.
I'm simply saying, if he hadn't been so blatant, the world's biggest newspaper mogul might not have had critics blast his masterpiece (which it certainly is). Recall, if you will, that Citizen Kane was a tremendous box office failure.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
Lunchbox said:
I'm simply saying, if he hadn't been so blatant, the world's biggest newspaper mogul might not have had critics blast his masterpiece (which it certainly is). Recall, if you will, that Citizen Kane was a tremendous box office failure.
That it was, though the notion of a critical bomb is a bit of a myth--it got a share of terrific reviews (especially from the large media corporations that were Heart's rivals). And while it was a commercial bomb, several of the original Batman writers and artists saw it, and were hugely influenced by it.
But it wasn't merely Hearst that helped sink Welles--it was the mentality of Hollywood in the first place. That town continued to treat Welles like s**t long after Hearts had died. Even Spielberg wouldn't give him funding.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Man, I wish I got paid for every time someone on this forum said they believed that Warner Brothers Discovery was going to ax, erase or sell off the Looney Tunes franchise. I could retire tomorrow.
Why do so many adults with no kids get so hopping mad about the existence of preschool shows and blocks? "Grr! I hate Cartoonito and Mickey Mouse Fun House! How dare they make preschool shows!" I don't get it.
Did the forum drop the swear rule? I've seen serious high tier swears and adult terms.
Just 10 more days until part 2 of Invincible's second season. Let's go!!!
I love how The Naked Gun films list bit parts by their line of dialogue. I wish more films did that rather than generic "Guy 1", "Woman on street", etc.

Featured Posts