The Super-Unauthorized, Unofficial 'Homages to classic movies in the DCAU' thread!

Silly McGooses

Didn't see any threads like it, so I thought I'd start one. List any references or homages (or ripoffs) of classic movies we've seen in the DCAU. The one that comes to mind for me is the scene im MOTP *spoilers for two movies ahead* when the Phantasm turns around the old mob guy's (the name escapes me) chair to find him dead by laughing gas was very reminiscent of the scene in Psycho where Vera Miles discovers "mother". Personally, I thought the MOTP scene was actually more chilling; the sting of music and twisted smile really freaked me out. Also, MOTP's storyline had echoes of Casablanca in it, or at least I think so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Style

The Green Style Returns
Well, "Secret Homages" was an homage* to War of the Worlds.

*"Homage" is a nice word for "Rip-off."

Silly McGooses

Oh, yeah! How could I forget about that? Well, I think that the writers definately knew that people would see the War of The Worlds element in it; I mean, they took exact lines from the radio play, i.e. "Incredible! Is it some kind of machine?"

Reverend

Stop that or you'll go blind!
Maybe because Independence Day was also a War of the Worlds rip off?

Here's one that some might have missed. Have a look at the Submarine crew at the beginning of Subzero, they look suspiciously similar to the cast of Crimson tide.
Also a rather obvious one. Batman Beyond had several homage's to the acclaimed animated film "Akira". Starting in "Rebirth" with it's high speed motorcycle chase (and indeed the designs of the bikes themselves are quite similar) from a violent gang dressed as clowns to the orbiting laser satellite in RotJ.

Style

The Green Style Returns
stly92 said:
Well, "Secret Homages" was an homage* to War of the Worlds.

*"Homage" is a nice word for "Rip-off."
*Gurp!* Make that "Secret Origins," Not Secret Homages. Still, it's kind of funny, I'll leave in the original mistake.

audiecugi

I'd like to test that theory!
In "This Little Piggy" when Wonder Woman says to Batman something like, "you might actually forget to brood" it sounded to me like an homage to the TV show Angel. Which was odd considering that the first season of Angel had a few homages to Batman.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Howdy,

The "Heart of Steel" 2-parter is half-robot story and half homage to every "robots killing humanity" story ever made. Off the top of my head:

- The license plate at the start of the ep says "RUR 303" (I think). "RUR" is short for "Rossum's Universal Robots," the Czech play by Karel Capek that brought the word "robot' into the language in 1920.

- Along those lines, "Carl Rossum" in the episode is a direct lift from RUR. He was also voiced by William Sanderson, who played J.F. Sebastian (a robot maker) in Blade Runner.

- The name "duplicants" is a variant on the "replicants" in Blade Runner, while the factory producing them was an echo of the "Terminator factory" that showed up in a Terminator 2 trailer. The duplicant endoskeletons looked rather Terminator-ish themselves.

- I always thought the little briefcase robot was like these weird little critters in Runaway, a really bad Tom Selleck movie from the 80's. I suppose it'd take b.t. to say for sure, though.

- HARDAC is an analog to the HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey, from the monolithic design, the monotone voice, and the homocidal tendencies.

I'm sure there were more, but those are the ones I can remember.

-- Ed/Ace

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
Ace, you're really getting me curious now about how it is that you've amassed such a variety of facts in that Bathound Head of yours. Are you a professor? THE Professor?

Mastermind?

Nevermind ;) "This Little Piggy" featured a blink-and-you'll-miss-it tribute to Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch of the East, when Circe was crushed by the piano. I don't think I'll get much "Wow DisneyBoy, you're so smart!" credit for that one, though, since I'm sure everyone spotted it, but it's worth pointing out.

I'm sure there are other, equally as obvious examples out there, but none are popping into my head just now. I bow out.

Style

The Green Style Returns
Ace the Bathound said:
Howdy,

The "Heart of Steel" 2-parter is half-robot story and half homage to every "robots killing humanity" story ever made. Off the top of my head:

- The license plate at the start of the ep says "RUR 303" (I think). "RUR" is short for "Rossum's Universal Robots," the Czech play by Karel Capek that brought the word "robot' into the language in 1920.

- Along those lines, "Carl Rossum" in the episode is a direct lift from RUR. He was also voiced by William Sanderson, who played J.F. Sebastian (a robot maker) in Blade Runner.

- The name "duplicants" is a variant on the "replicants" in Blade Runner, while the factory producing them was an echo of the "Terminator factory" that showed up in a Terminator 2 trailer. The duplicant endoskeletons looked rather Terminator-ish themselves.

- I always thought the little briefcase robot was like these weird little critters in Runaway, a really bad Tom Selleck movie from the 80's. I suppose it'd take b.t. to say for sure, though.

- HARDAC is an analog to the HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey, from the monolithic design, the monotone voice, and the homocidal tendencies.

I'm sure there were more, but those are the ones I can remember.

-- Ed/Ace
Carl Rossum's company is called "Cybertron Industries," Which seems like it could be a reference to the home planet of the Transformers. There are even a few "robots in disguise" running around the factory, what with the Trash cans that "Transform" into large, hulking robots with spindly limbs.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
Speaking of cartoon shows, I get the feeling that between Aresia, Hippolyta and the mourning outfit Diana wore to Supes funeral in "Hereafter", the JLU crew might be paying tribute to none other than She-Ra.

Wouldn't that be cool?

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
Silly McGooses said:
the scene im MOTP when the Phantasm turns around the old mob guy's chair to find him dead by laughing gas was very reminiscent of the scene in Psycho where Vera Miles discovers "mother".

There's also "Mudslide," where we learn that Stella Bates used to own a motel. :D

That ep is chock full of movie references. The Warner Bros. logo shows up on a TV screen; in his protective shell, Clayface looks vaguely like an Oscar statue; he shouts "Stella!" a la Streecar Named Desire at one point, IIRC. A moment when Batman tries struggling out of Clayface grip looks a lot like the chest-bursting moments in Alien.

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
Others, off the top of my head (and reaching back over to my site):

Baby Doll: This may be reaching, but I think of the way Oliver got added to The Brady Bunch when the "they added Spunky" twist gets mentioned in "Baby Doll." Baby Doll herself recalls Shirley Temple in two ways. First, she's clearly a Shirley clone; second, in 1936 a British film critic got in trouble with 20th Century Fox when he publicly charged that Temple was not a child but a midget performer--which I guess, quasi-technically, is what Mary Dahl is. She also is a lot like the Bette Davis character in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?--a former blonde child moppet driven to homicide in later life. And the chase through the funhouse is right out of The Lady from Shanghai.

Beware the Gray Ghost reminds of this old TV serial whose name I can't quite place ... :D

Blind as a Bat: Uh, maybe helicopter gunships are too generic to mention Airwolf and Blue Thunder ... Same thing with the "pod people" that show up in "House and Garden."

Showdown turns Ra's al-Ghul into Captain Nemo.

Tyger Tyger is The Island of Dr. Moreau

Double Talk takes the general idea of a ventriloquist who fears his dummy is alive from one of the episodes in Dead of Night.

In-jokes: In Mean Seasons, the fashion designer is voiced by former fashion model Tippi Hedren. Similarly, the gangster in Batman Beyond's "Betrayal" is a caricature of its voice actor, Jon Polito. His character even puts in a phone call at point to "Leo," which was the name of Polito's nemesis in Miller's Crossing.

Sentries of the Last Cosmos: Well, I don't need to mention what that borrows from ...

I'm sure there's a lot more that I've missed.

randomguy

Came, liked Ike, and left.
The laser satellite sequence in Return of the Joker, where Terry's in the Batmobile, is a pretty clear Akira homage. The same could be said for the scene in Mask of the Phatasm when Bruce takes on a bunch of bikers, particularly when he punches a guy off his bike in mid-air.

Mattdotcom

Maxie Zeus said:
Double Talk takes the general idea of a ventriloquist who fears his dummy is alive from one of the episodes in Dead of Night.
Not to mention Magic, starring Anthony Hopkins.

Singularity

Dullard.
Maxie Zeus said:
There's been two episodes that dealt with that in The Twilight Zone.

b.t.

Maxie Zeus said:
Showdown turns Ra's al-Ghul into Captain Nemo.

Tyger Tyger is The Island of Dr. Moreau

actually, ra's is more like ROBUR THE CONQUEROR in "showdown"...get your verne rip-offs straight, mister!

also, besides the obvious "dr. moreau" references in "tyger, tyger", the mad scientist guy is designed to look like ernest thesiger, the immortal dr. pretorius from "bride of frankenstein"...some of joseph maher's line readings reminded me of thesiger, hence inspiring a visual homage....

fun thread!

EJill34

This isn't really an homage to a movie, but Lex Luthor's character design is loosely based off of the actor Telly Savalas (who looks like Lex anyway).

Or at least that's what A Little Piece of Trivia told me.

Hordesman

slashor
What about the BTAS episode with the movie where the heroine tells the hero she still loves him evwen thoguh he's really rich?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Well dang. Grey DeLisle was originally scheduled to be doing a free gig this coming Saturday here in Phoenix, but she's no longer listed on the bill. I guess she had to back out. I was going to go because I love her music in addition to her VA work, but not anymore. I'm glad I didn't make a reservation.
Man, I wish I got paid for every time someone on this forum said they believed that Warner Brothers Discovery was going to ax, erase or sell off the Looney Tunes franchise. I could retire tomorrow.
Why do so many adults with no kids get so hopping mad about the existence of preschool shows and blocks? "Grr! I hate Cartoonito and Mickey Mouse Fun House! How dare they make preschool shows!" I don't get it.
Did the forum drop the swear rule? I've seen serious high tier swears and adult terms.
Just 10 more days until part 2 of Invincible's second season. Let's go!!!

Featured Posts