The Status of late 90s Animated Adaptions and other Saturday Morning Cartoons.

Latest News

SG-17

May 12, 2018
Ratings
99 6
Pennsylvania
Years ago in addition to CN and Nick I also heavily watched stuff on One Saturday Morning, Fox Kids, and KidsWB. Most (all?) of the One Saturday Morning stuff was Disney owned so we know where they are, even if they aren't currently available. Kid'sWB ended up being absorbed into Turner so a lot of the programming ended up associated with Cartoon Network and a lot of it (primarily the DC stuff) is available in some form today.

The big question is Fox Kids. You had a lot of licensed material, much of it produced by Sony. Extreme Ghostbusters, Men in Black the Series, Godzilla the Series, Jackie Chan Adventures. As far as I know outside of Godzilla The Series none of these programs are available in completion. Is it merely a mess of rights issues?

Beyond that, did many here enjoy these shows when they aired?

Gear3dGryph0n

Aug 20, 2014
Ratings
333 1
Damnation Alley
I ran Google searches on the Sony shows and many of them are spread across different streaming platforms; Jackie Chan is available on Google and iTunes on a pay-per-episode basis, Extreme Ghostbusters is on Hulu and Men in Black is on Crackle. Usually shows that involve celebrities, licensed properties, and/or co-productions are licensed differently than original studio shows, which is why, for example, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, co-productions between Amblin and WB, are on Hulu and not on Boomerang with the other WB stuff. The timing of deals may also explain why Sony's library is scattershot between their own platform in Crackle, Hulu, and digital video stores.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
925 16
Springfield, MO
I thought most of the late 90's Fox Kids material was "Saban" properties that ended up on "Jetix". But now that "Jetix" is extinct...I don't know who holds the rights.

Though "Jackie Chan Adventures" was Kids WB, not Fox Kids...

SG-17

May 12, 2018
Ratings
99 6
Pennsylvania
I thought most of the late 90's Fox Kids material was "Saban" properties that ended up on "Jetix". But now that "Jetix" is extinct...I don't know who holds the rights.

Though "Jackie Chan Adventures" was Kids WB, not Fox Kids...
Right, my mistake. But it was produced by the same Sony animation studio as MIB, Godzilla, and Extreme Ghostbusters.