The "Spongebob Effect"

Maddiexx

The "SpongeBob effect" refers to the fact that, as a result of Spongebob's massive success, if an animated show on Nickelodeon isn't immediately popular, it gets cancelled. The "Spongebob effect" can definitely be seen nowadays, with the bulk of the network's programming (not counting Nick. Jr.) being live-action shows. Do you think the network will ever go back to creating a variety of nicktoons like they did in the 90's and 2000's, or has the "Spongebob effect" completely ruined this possibility for the foreseeable future?

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Of course the only real honest proof we have of that is the fact It's Pony is still going since yeah technically there are currently only 4 Nicktoons. Spongebob, Loud House (the only show from the 2010's that really passed The Spongebob effect) and The Casagrandes, The Loud House spinoff. I guess it's possible there is at least more emphasis on trying to protect and appreciate Nicktoon history in general considering Nick just launched that "Tooned In" Game show all about the Nicktoons but until we have more then like a few Nicktoons actually thriving on the network that aren't just instant flash in the pan successes I still say the Spongebob effect still hasn't fully gone away.

JTOONSAnimation

It'll take a while to see how this continues. It's Pony isn't regularly airing on Nickelodeon and The Casagrandes is only airing because of its connection to The Loud House.

Usually, Nicktoons get moved over to the Nicktoons channel during their second season, so we'll see if It's Pony can make it.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
How Glitch Techs, Harvey Beaks & Welcome to The Wayne got canned because of this example is unforgivable, IMHO, as those were all far superior shows to the Sponge and/or to the likes of TLH/Casagrandes for me. I feel the same way about It's Pony, even if there is a 2nd season for that on the way. More reruns of that, please and thank you, would be oh so nice to see happen on the main channel so one doesn't have to turn to streaming for it, instead.
In fact, a lot of those canned examples should have been saved by streaming, especially Glitch Techs. But the world just isn't all that nice to us with this medium, now is it?

SG-17

Of course the only real honest proof we have of that is the fact It's Pony is still going since yeah technically there are currently only 4 Nicktoons. Spongebob, Loud House (the only show from the 2010's that really passed The Spongebob effect) and The Casagrandes, The Loud House spinoff. I guess it's possible there is at least more emphasis on trying to protect and appreciate Nicktoon history in general considering Nick just launched that "Tooned In" Game show all about the Nicktoons but until we have more then like a few Nicktoons actually thriving on the network that aren't just instant flash in the pan successes I still say the Spongebob effect still hasn't fully gone away.
TMNT is fully owned and produced by Nick now so it counts as a Nicktoon. In fact there is more of an argument to make that It's Pony isn't a Nicktoon since it isn't produced in-house, but thats purely academic as Nick funded the series and I believe owns the IP.

What is crazy to me is that in 2001 we had 11 Nicktoons airing new episodes and another 5 in reruns. I'm not even sure that was the height.

Thats compared to 5 Nicktoons now and none in reruns.

powerjake

Banned
Nickelodeon turned the cartoon into Zombie SpongeBob SquarePants and they just want it to go on forever making the series have no more life in it.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
TMNT is fully owned and produced by Nick now so it counts as a Nicktoon. In fact there is more of an argument to make that It's Pony isn't a Nicktoon since it isn't produced in-house, but thats purely academic as Nick funded the series and I believe owns the IP.

Even if it's not produced in house there's a difference between an official Nicktoon and an animated series that aired on Nickelodeon. Alllvin and the Chipmunks for instance is an acquisition that just aired on the network and isn't part of the Nicktoons canon, but It's Pony is an official Nicktoon. And yeah 2012 TMNT and Rise of the TMNT are full on Nicktoons but... I don't really count Rise as a current Nicktoon as yeah seems like Nick ended that show forcing the team to write a finale midway through their original proposed second season. The only thing that makes them technical still "ongoing" is that there's going to be a movie coming out from the show but... that's a Netflix original so not sure how much it counts as still premiering on Nick at all thus just four shows with new episodes coming out right now for Nick...

What is crazy to me is that in 2001 we had 11 Nicktoons airing new episodes and another 5 in reruns. I'm not even sure that was the height.

Thats compared to 5 Nicktoons now and none in reruns.

Three are in reruns as main line Nick still airs Spongebob, Loud House and Casagrandes reruns (arguably for the most part on Weekdays since Nick Jr, the occasional special event like the Are You Afraid of the Dark revival and Danger Force here and there those are the only things played on Nickelodeon until Nick at Nite comes at night) but yeah that is ridiculously abysmal. Disney and Cartoon Network also have this problem with shows because apparently networks think that if people want to see shows not on streaming they don't want variety thus will only have a few of the most popular series rerun constantly but Nick is the worst at this and really it's sad how much better just in terms of variety things were 20 years ago.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
What makes me worry about It's Pony is that international Nick channels are now started to premiere new episodes that have yet to air in the U.S. I know its not that unusual, but Nick is taking its time to air them in the U.S.

SG-17

Even if it's not produced in house there's a difference between an official Nicktoon and an animated series that aired on Nickelodeon. Alllvin and the Chipmunks for instance is an acquisition that just aired on the network and isn't part of the Nicktoons canon, but It's Pony is an official Nicktoon. And yeah 2012 TMNT and Rise of the TMNT are full on Nicktoons but... I don't really count Rise as a current Nicktoon as yeah seems like Nick ended that show forcing the team to write a finale midway through their original proposed second season. The only thing that makes them technical still "ongoing" is that there's going to be a movie coming out from the show but... that's a Netflix original so not sure how much it counts as still premiering on Nick at all thus just four shows with new episodes coming out right now for Nick...

Three are in reruns as main line Nick still airs Spongebob, Loud House and Casagrandes reruns (arguably for the most part on Weekdays since Nick Jr, the occasional special event like the Are You Afraid of the Dark revival and Danger Force here and there those are the only things played on Nickelodeon until Nick at Nite comes at night) but yeah that is ridiculously abysmal. Disney and Cartoon Network also have this problem with shows because apparently networks think that if people want to see shows not on streaming they don't want variety thus will only have a few of the most popular series rerun constantly but Nick is the worst at this and really it's sad how much better just in terms of variety things were 20 years ago.
A show being "in reruns" means no new episodes are being produced but its still being aired. So even though Nick does show reruns of SpongeBob/Loud House/Casagrandes they aren't' "in reruns" since new episodes are still being made.

But yeah, with Nick@Nite encroaching on Nick's timeslot and constant "binge" scheduling there isn't room on the main channel for anything else.

kanc

A show being "in reruns" means no new episodes are being produced but its still being aired. So even though Nick does show reruns of SpongeBob/Loud House/Casagrandes they aren't' "in reruns" since new episodes are still being made.

But yeah, with Nick@Nite encroaching on Nick's timeslot and constant "binge" scheduling there isn't room on the main channel for anything else.
The only Nick show, in fact on NickJr block airing reruns is Team Umizoomi. The show was cancelled back in 2015. It had on and off airings in NickJr block for some time.

For Nick@Nite, only 2 shows are currently airing new episodes in CBS: Young Sheldon and Mom.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts