The Spectacular Spider-Man "Shear Strength" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment On This Episode!

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The first story-arc of the second season comes to a close in tonight's all-new episode of The Spectacular Spider-Man!
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Episode #17 "Shear Strength"
Original Airdate - July 6th, 2009

It's New Year's Eve, and all is not right with world. The Master Planner and his henchmen are literally planning to take over the world! A highly motivated Spider-Man takes the fight to the Planner's secret lair. But once he gets there, can he survive?

Comments?

Related Thread:
-The Amazing Spider-Man #31-33 "If This Be My Destiny...!" Talkback (Spoilers)

Check out more details on this episode here!

honorableninja

a great episode bringing one of spider-man's greatest comic books stories to life and putting a new spin on it putting the stacy's into the mix. comic or cartoon the scene of spider man using all his power to free himself from that derbry is still epic! does anyone beside me think the gwen-liz-peter trinagle is getting a little stale sure Liz is cute but she still seem shallow with no depth to her charcater unlike gwen. i had competely forgtteen the Doc ock was the master planner but after seem him so meek in the last episode you can't blame me. another great episode 10 out of 10.

thedanmachine

gomu gomu no custom title
Awesome episode and a really good way to finish off the Master Planner Arc (which I found, as a whole, to be the weakest arc in the show.)
The only part of the episode I didnt like was Gwen's abduction scene. For some reason when ever I see it I find it impossible that absolutely no one but Pete noticed her getting shocked and carried away.

But minor gripe aside, great ep.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
The Master Planner, revealed to be Dr. Octopus, tests his plant by attempting to murder Norman Osborn. Then, he continues with his plan by kidnapping Gwen Stacy. Pete, who is pretty close to choose her, becomes determined to rescue her, and tracks the Planner back to his lair. Octopus manipulates Captain George Stacy into going to a Homeland Security building and obtaining security codes, so he can manipulate all computers worldwide, effectively taking over the world. After doing battle with Electro and Ock, Spidey foils the plan, and rescues Gwen. After rubble falls on him, his determination is put to the test, and uses his newfound superstength to free himself and escape the lair. While celebrating New Year's with Aunt May, Pete is visited by Liz Allan, who kisses him.

After a somewhat dissapointing last week, this episode puts the show back in track. A solid ending to this arc, made better by the iconic imagery of Spider-Man freeing himself from the falling rubble. The use of the Master Planner name is also a nice throwback. And like previously mentioned, the use of the Stacys was great for character development. However, the scene with Spidey freeing himself did not feel as iconic to me. A minor complaint.

Also liked the Morris Bench cameo, Gwen's continually-growing hair, and Mary Jane's dirty line. Though Pete is a fool for choosing Liz. He loves Gwen, but he chose to listen to his hormones, rather than his heart. Though this kind of writing makes him more like an authentic teenager, confused and not knowing better.

All in all, a great episode. One of the show's best.

5/5

NEXT WEEK: Pete starts the second half of the school year with a blast! He has a new girlfriend, reunites with old friends, and is invited to Flash's birthday party. Unfortunately, Sandman returns, with upgraded powers, to work for Hammerhead. And...is that man that Spidey sees Eddie Brock?

jph139

Immortal
Great episode; I liked seeing Spidey really angry, since we usually have him in his wisecracking mode. And that scene under the debris, water running down his face - classic. Absolutely classic.

saherrin

Strength

does anyone beside me think the gwen-liz-peter trinagle is getting a little stale sure Liz is cute but she still seem shallow with no depth to her charcater unlike gwen.
I actually like it. I agree about the lack of depth but somehow I think this is Peter's chance to rescue someone as Peter Parker vs. Spidey. It's a case of watching Liz being subjected to Flash Thompson's alpha male ways and someone popular who showed some interest in him but he really didn't get into the kiss like someone who really wanted it. I think Peter does have his sights on Gwen, though. I, too, loved Spidey gutchecking and freeing himself from the debris for Gwen's sake.

This was a great episode and a nice way to end the master planner arc (which did seem a bit rushed.) I also like how Vulture and Electro became the centerpiece villains instead of fodder. Spiderman's use of his banter to anger Electro into dooming himself was nicely scripted.

THe animation was tight and was well drawn. The writing on this episode, as noted above, continues to shine. Capt. Stacy's awkward attempts at false small talk as he "broke into" the Homeland Sec. office was well done. The confusion in the police dispatch was a nice bit of brief dialogue and shows the writers' attention to small details.

My only knock was the Master Planner reveal as Doc Oc was a mild surprise, at best. Peter MicNichol (sp?) did a great job, though, giving Doc even more menace and psychosis as the episode continued and did a great job with Oc's resignation that all was lost.

I also had this thought during Stacy's "break in." How interesting would it have been if Stacy was caught during his attempt? I

I also liked Bench's cameo. One of the consistently good things about this show is its inclusion of characters spanning the entire Spider-Man timeline.

As always, I can't wait for next week.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
I think the previous episode was a little better but as it is this episode definitely was entertaining and intense. This was one of the hardest things Peter's ever had to do as Spider-Man and he managed to accomplish his task. I think his sights are indeed set on Gwen but for right now, Liz is literally throwing herself at Peter and it is HARD for any guy to say no to that.

R-Taco

Just A Little Bit Crazy
MacNicol rocked socks as Ock in this episode.

I forgot, where'd Rhino and Sandman get to? Didn't everybody 'cept Mysterio get rescued by the Tinkerer at the end of the last episode?

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
Well, the Master Planner arc is over, which I'll agree is probably the weakest arc of the show so far. In the end it kind of feels like filler with Doctor Octopus' plans being foiled and him escaping in some escape pod, with no real repercussions of any of these actions being felt by any of the characters. I think it would have been better if Octopus was killed, or perished in the lab explosion. Perhaps give Spider-Man an ultimatum of saving Gwen or Doctor Octopus for dramatic effect (though I disliked how Gwen was kidnapped yet again... she seems to just be around to be a damsel distress in this show) so this arc in general felt kind of uneventful in general. Captain Stacy was pretty cool, as was his infiltration, but in the end, it was for naught.

Nygma

I think it would have been better if Octopus was killed, or perished in the lab explosion.

But then you can't use his character again, and plus he still has plenty of opportunities for other stories. So why kill him off, and waste any potential?

(though I disliked how Gwen was kidnapped yet again... she seems to just be around to be a damsel distress in this show)

Its only the second time she's been captured. And Gwen serves more purpose as a character than just being a damsel in distress like you seem to be implying.

CJ67

Well, the Master Planner arc is over, which I'll agree is probably the weakest arc of the show so far. In the end it kind of feels like filler with Doctor Octopus' plans being foiled and him escaping in some escape pod, with no real repercussions of any of these actions being felt by any of the characters. I think it would have been better if Octopus was killed, or perished in the lab explosion. Perhaps give Spider-Man an ultimatum of saving Gwen or Doctor Octopus for dramatic effect (though I disliked how Gwen was kidnapped yet again... she seems to just be around to be a damsel distress in this show) so this arc in general felt kind of uneventful in general. Captain Stacy was pretty cool, as was his infiltration, but in the end, it was for naught.

Ah yes, another post bagging on the show that you never bag on. Interesting, kill off Doc a very integral villian to spidey? You say no repercussions? Well, you don't think Ock getting away will have repercussions to spidey since he now has a very angry Doc Ock who will want revenge? I would say that is a repercussion in the making.

Gwen is now just a damsel in distress? Wow, are you really sure you even watch this show? I really think you prove my point in saying that you come here to bash this show simply because it is 100'xs more popular than your robotboy09 show. Gwen has been there for Peter and been his voice of reason, his love interest, and his best friend. She will be an integral part of shaping Spidey in the future as well. You obviously don't read much Spidey, which explains a lot of your post.

I loved your qualifier at the end to try and act like you don't only say negative things, but you have now proven my point. You never have anything positive to say about this show. Why do you even bother watching it if it sucks so much?

Mod Note: Let's keep this thread and discussion civil, please.

Mistah K88

Doc Ock is officially the BADDEST villain on this show...well...aleast until the Green Goblin shows up again. The trying to kill Norman thing with Vulture and Ock was great as well...I mean they both hate the man. Plus the way they were talking to each other so casually seemed like they were just buddies working on a science project. I have to give credit to Octavius, this was actually brilliant plan. Best on screen interpretation of Ock ever. The arms being rigged by Tinkerer to retrieve him was genius as well (does that mean Tinkerer knew who Master Planner was?) and here I was fearing they would do the "atificially intelligent arms made me evil" thing that was done in the second Spider-Man movie.

Ock dying wouldn't really have solved anything...I mean the character won't appear again sure, but then they'll just whip out a replacement Doc Ock (Carolyn Trainer anyone?), and we all know that with the exception of Hobgoblin, replacement villains suck. Plus, the whole Master Planner thing has been building up in the world of organized crime (it was mentioned in the previous episode that this Mater Planner is rising and hiring construction workers and the like). Also, him dying (especially by his own hand [the self destruct could only be triggered by Ock]) wouldn't really have made people feel anything because Pete doesn't know Ock personally like he does with Venom or Green Goblin. So the "repercussions" would exist more with Ock going the way that he did rather than just perishing.

As for Gwen, this has been the second time she's been captured in a month's time (November-December)...however they were for completely different reasons (Venom = to get to Spider-Man personally. Ock = to use daddy to conquer the world). I would have preferred her not getting kidnapped again, but atleast Octavius didn't involve Spider-Man in his plan, he just happened to grab someone Spider-Man knew.

cradleman

This is my personal favorite of the entire series. I loved how they captured so well the iconic moment with spidey lifting the wreckage, but at the same time made it feel new and not forced in there. I loved Ock's plot to rule the world, as it is quite unique, and the showdown between Ock and Spidey was classic. all in all, the best so far(and that's saying something!)

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
Great episode. Dr. Octopus goes up another notch in awesomeness, and Spider-Man is given one of his toughest challenges yet (great homage to the classic story).

I think George Stacy probably got the best outting this time. Yeah, the Master Planner thing played out predictably like in the comics, but if you know the comics, it gives weight to the Ock/Stacy conflict.

Peter clearly wants to be with Gwen, but I don't blame Liz for going after him. I think she's actually grown as a character, realizing the status symbol of being with Flash is ultimately unfulfilling.

Nygma

but if you know the comics, it gives weight to the Ock/Stacy conflict.

That's if they go THAT route, beat for beat.

Anyways, this was a great episode. And one of the best episodes in the entire series.
I thought it was great that not only was Spidey trying to stop Doc Ock, but was also involved in a situation that was on a global scale.

I only have 2 minor gripes.
-The "iconic" scene of Peter lifting the huge chunk of metal didn't feel very iconic. I liked that Gwen was what motivated him. But I would've liked to have seen him try once or twice to lift the huge metal chunk then fail, then he starts doubting himself. Then after he's motivated by Gwen, he starts lifting the metal, but has to dig down deep to lift it.
The way it played out here, he just saw Gwen then started to lift the metal debris up easily like he was Popeye after eating his spinach. It was still a good scene that still payed homage to one of Spider-Man's finest moments. But it could've been a little better here.
-For an episode as good as this, I wish they could've got Dong Woo or Hanho Heung Up to animate this episode. The animation by MOI in this episode came across as serviceable at best, and stiff at worst. This episode along with Blueprints & Growing Pains are the weakest animated episodes in the entire series to date IMO. Also did anyone else notice how off model Liz's head was in that final scene?

Anyways, those gripes aside, this is one of the shows best episodes, and one of my favorites of the entire series.

Aldrius

Arrogant Instigator
This is one of my favourite arc enders. I loved Peter McNichol's performance, love that Vulture got some stuff to do, love that Captain Stacy got to prove he was bad-ass. The action was awesome, as was the animation, and even the anti-climactic reveal of who the Master Planner was, was still cool.

Gwen being kidnapped again didn't really bother me. Being a damsel in distress has hardly been her definining quality, and immediately after Spider-man rescued her, she rescued him.

The romantic subplot doesn't really interest me that much. It's kinda just going in circles, but I kind of like Peter with Liz for whatever reason.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I think this individual episode is better than the arc as a whole. It's a really great episode for me. Oddly enough , Spidey's classic struggle with the machinery scene lacks a little oomph, in my very humble opinion. Visually it looks great and is a great homage but Pete just gives up way too easily and then seems to flip it off without much effort. Anyways I'm still really glad that they did it, they really didn't even have to attempt it but it just feels like the crew really loves the original source material. I'm guessing it was just done so quickly due to time constraints. Last year, I just couldn't picture MacNichol as being a great Doc Ock especially after seeing Otto as being so feeble but he really has full control over the character at this point.

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
But then you can't use his character again, and plus he still has plenty of opportunities for other stories. So why kill him off, and waste any potential?
Killing villains off wouldn't be a bad thing, or at least giving them some resolution. It's better than having them regulated to villain of the weeks, which is what this plotline felt like. It just seems after you try world domination, anything else would just be a step backwards, so let the good Doctor go out on a grandiose scale rather than being milked dry like Dr. Wily or something. An alternative would be Gwen finding out Peter's identity through the events of this arc. That would alleviate a lot of the drama between Peter and Gwen, and open up new storylines. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised she hasn't figured it out yet, since she's interacted closely with Spider-Man quite a bit now, and combined with her supposed intelligence and her and Peter being close friends, it seems inevitable.

Its only the second time she's been captured. And Gwen serves more purpose as a character than just being a damsel in distress like you seem to be implying.
Her character just seems to be primary a love interest or a damsel in distress from what I have witnessed. It'd just be nice to see her character be defined as things beyond being captured or being someone's love interest (which is all girls get to be usually). I'm a stickler when it comes to female characters being written that way.

Mistah K88 said:
Ock dying wouldn't really have solved anything...I mean the character won't appear again sure, but then they'll just whip out a replacement Doc Ock (Carolyn Trainer anyone?), and we all know that with the exception of Hobgoblin, replacement villains suck.
Well, I suggested that on the assumption that they wouldn't cop-out and try to replace him. That's why I watch shows rather than read the comics, so there's less of a chance for writing tactics like that, which the show has done a good job of avoiding some of them so far.

cradleman

Marn, you're going to have to realize some things.

A. they won't kill off anyone on this show, they CAN'T! It's a kids show. best you will get is them making it look like someone is dead.

B. Doc Ock is one of the most crucial villains to the Spider-Man mythos. He won't ever be gotten rid of because there are so many story lines to explore with him.

C. Weisman also has big future plans for Ock, specifically in 4 episodes, and then I'm sure in Future seasons, and killing him wouldn't make any sense for those plans.

As for Gwen being a damsel in distress, HAVE YOU WATCHED THE SHOW!? She is EASILY one of the most developed characters here. She gets tons of screentime, she stimulates Peter both Academically and romantically, She cares for her friends and goes through great lengths to see them get better, she is just plain amazing in this show. I have no idea what your complaint with her is. just weird.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts