The Spectacular Spider-Man "Reinforcement" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment On This Episode!

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Spidey's back for more on Disney XD as he tangles with the new Sinister Six in an all-new episode of The Spectacular Spider-Man!

The Spectacular Spider-Man
Episode #16 "Reinforcement"
Original Airdate - June 29th, 2009

As Christmas approaches, the Sinister Six reconstitutes with Sandman, Rhino, Vulture, Electro and new members Mysterio and Kraven. All they want for Christmas is Spider-Man -- dead. Meanwhile, Peter Parker finds his wandering eye prevents him from being with Gwen Stacy. He'll have to learn to focus if he wants to get the girl... and if he wants to stay alive.

Comments?

Check out more details on this episode here!

Last edited by a moderator:

saherrin

Hey now….I’m not sure about this episode. Judging by the survey results, I think people are in the same boat as I am. There were some strong, solid moments in the episode. I loved the fight sequence music in the mall. That was a nice touch and kudos to the animators for the nice sync up. Peter trying to talk while recovering from a burned tongue was funny. I also loved the line about Santa’s naughty list. Rhino’s “I hate you very much” line was hilarious. BTW, did Dr. Kafka say the name “Cletus?” Hmmm…..The strongest part of the story was Peter trying to figure about the Liz/Gwen conundrum (with Mary Jane trying to assist.) I liked the small touch of Mary Jane being legitimately frightened when the tree nearly landed on her. Flash’s emulation of Spider Man carried over from last season (BTW, Flash is quite an athlete managing to keep upright while on his crutches and on ice.) The ending was a nice and wrapped up a table set-up for the “Master Planner” story arch. Without reading the spoilers, I am curious to see the Master Planner. The downside was the marginalization of some of the villains. I’m glad they’re keeping Sandman and Rhino strong (IMO) but they really knocked Kraven down a notch or two from last week and Mysterio was just a pain in this episode (gloatication aside.) Electro and Vulture were the equivalent of curtain jerkers (an old wrestling term for two wrestlers who start a wrestling card.) Electro could be so much more stronger (his stand alone episode in Season One is proof.) I did find it interesting to hear Christmas music during the closing credits knowing that in five days we celebrate Independence Day. I guess the big reveal comes next week and I’m looking forward to it.

R-Taco

Just A Little Bit Crazy
Did anyone else feel that the animation in this episode was a bit...strange? It was fluid, but something just seemed very different.

Also, neat pre-Carnage cameo.

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
Not really digging the tween romance subplot, it comes off as really shallow. The fight had some nice animation, but some poor choreography, especially Electro and Vulture who were just punching bag villains in this fight (though that tends to be a common problem with all 'group VS one guy' fights in action shows, and very few shows seem to know how to do it right)

jph139

Immortal
Sinister Six DEFINITELY felt wimpier this time around. I mean, it makes sense - it's normal Spidey instead of Super Symbiote Spidey - but it made for a much weaker fight.

Still good, though. Kraven and Mysterio were GREAT additions, and seeing them double-team the Web-Head... good stuff.

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Awesome episode :anime:
I like the fights and Spiderman got his tonuge burn XD

Aldrius

Arrogant Instigator
Did anyone else feel that the animation in this episode was a bit...strange? It was fluid, but something just seemed very different.

Yeah, it was... like... rubbery and almost... too exaggerated.

Anyone else notice that something they made fun of in season 1 "Sorry, Spidey was I supposed to wait my turn?" they actually DID in season 2 with the Sinister Six taking turns...? Bleh. That was my big problem with this episode.

This is probably my least favourite episode of the series. I thought it would have been a lot cooler if they'd actually split up to do specific tasks, with the reasoning that they'd be more likely to accomplish those tasks WHILE Spider-man is distracted. (i.e. Vulture could attack Norman again, Rhino and Sandman could rob a bank, Mysterio could steal more tech, etc.) But oh well, it's still got some nice action and choreography, and of course... humour!

And, just to be positive, next week's is particularly awesome.

Pepperidge

This is definitely one of the weakest episodes in season two. Not so much because of the animation (which didn't bother me), but because it amounts to a filler episode when it didn't have to. The scenes we see at the beginning of Spider-Man interrogating hoodlums and running into characters like Blackie Gaxton... that should've been the whole episode! A major problem with the Master Planner arc in general is that it places minimal focus on just how far-reaching the new crime lord's scheme has really become within a short period of time, and instead tries to make the plot seem more grandiose by throwing as many super villains as possible into the picture. That problem becomes all too clear in this one episode, especially since the story ultimately requires only two out of the six villains, which becomes obvious in the next episode.

But that's alright, because next week's episode makes up for it all, and I feel that it is the best episode in the series. Those who haven't watched season two yet are definitely in for a treat.

Mistah K88

With the new Sinister Six, I'm sure that the two by two thing was to tire Spidey out so the final duo could finish him. Much like how Ock waited for Spider-Man to waste his energy fighting the other 5 and then come in to finish it in the first go around. You do still gotta gicve them credit for not using the "villains can't work together becuase they'll betray each other" cliche twice in a row...

This episode wasn't the best of episodes, but it starts to establish the Master Planner's influence in the crime world withe his freaks and weirdos...especially since he wants to inaugurate the age of the supervillian.

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
How's it coming across as shallow?
Just Peter's whole attitude towards it; and the fact it's typical high school romance (which is always shallow). Though I could forgive it if they'd actually focus on it rather than leave it as a dangling subplot for the whole season. It would just be nice for them to finish it within the first few episodes of the season so we can get some results from it rather than drag it out across the whole series. It just comes across like the show's stalling so they can pair Peter and Gwen up in the final episode of the show.

Nygma

and the fact it's typical high school romance (which is always shallow).

Well thats a pretty shallow excuse imo.

Though I could forgive it if they'd actually focus on it rather than leave it as a dangling subplot for the whole season. It would just be nice for them to finish it within the first few episodes of the season so we can get some results from it rather than drag it out across the whole series. It just comes across like the show's stalling so they can pair Peter and Gwen up in the final episode of the show.

So your expecting everything to get handed to you right away?

CJ67

Just Peter's whole attitude towards it; and the fact it's typical high school romance (which is always shallow). Though I could forgive it if they'd actually focus on it rather than leave it as a dangling subplot for the whole season. It would just be nice for them to finish it within the first few episodes of the season so we can get some results from it rather than drag it out across the whole series. It just comes across like the show's stalling so they can pair Peter and Gwen up in the final episode of the show.

Well, maybe you should watch the whole season, since you aren't informed about what does, or doesn't happen. You are making comments about a whole season you haven't seen.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
It just comes across like the show's stalling so they can pair Peter and Gwen up in the final episode of the show.

It's one thing to criticize story elements that you have facts on, but how can you be sure that Weisman intends to save their relationship for the final episode?

Going with his previous works:
1. Gargoyles: While Elisa and Goliath did get together at the end of the original series, he did intend to take their relationship above the will they/won't they song and dance. And as evidence with his work on the comics, he's delivered on that so far.

2. W.I.T.C.H.: Matt and Will got together prior to the episodes done under Weisman's time on the show, but he certainly allowed for some substancial relationship development:

- Cornelia/Caleb: While they were a couple before season 2, their relationship was taking second priority due to Caleb's duties, thus suspending the relationship. Which as we saw, was resolved in the middle of the season.

- Taranee/Nigel: It didn't take too long for them to get together as we can see.

Aldrius

Arrogant Instigator
With the new Sinister Six, I'm sure that the two by two thing was to tire Spidey out so the final duo could finish him.

Wouldn't six at a time tire him out more than taking them on two by two...?

It was mostly done for staging purposes, I think.

This is definitely one of the weakest episodes in season two. Not so much because of the animation (which didn't bother me), but because it amounts to a filler episode when it didn't have to. The scenes we see at the beginning of Spider-Man interrogating hoodlums and running into characters like Blackie Gaxton... that should've been the whole episode! A major problem with the Master Planner arc in general is that it places minimal focus on just how far-reaching the new crime lord's scheme has really become within a short period of time, and instead tries to make the plot seem more grandiose by throwing as many super villains as possible into the picture. That problem becomes all too clear in this one episode, especially since the story ultimately requires only two out of the six villains, which becomes obvious in the next episode.
Hm, that makes a lot of sense to me.
Especially with the gang war plotline later this season. Show the intricacies of New York's criminal underworld in this episode then do that later.
But it is supposed to be Christmas-themed (Christmas in June... lovely), so I suppose a little filler can be forgiven.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
The Master Planner reunites the Sinister Six, with a seemingly-reformed Dr. Octavius declining his offer. Seeing the failure of the Six's previous battle againt Spider-Man, he adds Kraven and Mysterio to the roster, leaving Shocker and Octopus out, while planning to tire Spidey in three teams of two. Meanwhile, Spidey is hunting for information of the Master Planner from Blackie Gaxton and Patch, while Pete also tries to decide between Liz and Gwen. The Six attack, and Spidey takes them out, one at a time. After the lengthy battle, Pete tries to approach Gwen, but is once again distracted when all the villains but Mysterio were extracted from the crime scenes. Pete and Aunt May celebrate Christmas together, while Otto Octavius is kidnapped from Ravencroft by....his tentacles?

Like other have said, this is definitely one of the weakest episodes in the series. The animation looked weaker than usual, especially when Spidey fights Electro in the tire place. The CGI Christmas Tree was also very ugly, and after the awesome first fight with the Sinister Six, this battle was a big letdown.

However, the dialogue and comedy continue to be sharp, and I enjoyed the cameos from Blackie, Patch (not going to spoil that one!;)), and Cletus Kassidy. As long as Carnage stays away from the series, I'm fine by the Cletus cameo.

4.5/5

NEXT WEEK: It's New Year's Eve, and Pete plans to spend it with Gwen Stacy. But the Master Planner also plans to celebrate by unleashing his diabolical plan to take over the entire world, and forces a change in plans. Now Spider-Man must fight the Planner in one of the most difficult battles of his life.

W.C.Reaf

Wouldn't six at a time tire him out more than taking them on two by two...?

It was mostly done for staging purposes, I think.

Well they tried the all at once possibility last time and it didn't work out for them. Thankfully they don't know it was the Symbiote driving or else they'd try it again.

So they tried something else in the hopes to wear him out over time. It didn't work so next time they might do something different. Maybe plan it out more than just a frontal attack. ;)

Nygma

Like other have said, this is definitely one of the weakest episodes in the series. The animation looked weaker than usual, especially when Spidey fights Electro in the tire place. The CGI Christmas Tree was also very ugly

Really? I thought the animation in this episode was really good. The Electro sequence is one of the most fluid animation sequences the show has had since its premiere episode (Survival of The Fittest). I didn't have a problem with the CGI Christmas Tree, though they've done better CGI than that.

On to the episode, this episode was kind of weak on the Spectacular Spider-Man scale. But still worth a watch.

Peter’s life out of costume continues to be just as fascinating as it is in costume. Peter really doesn’t know what to do with himself in the situation with Gwen and Liz. And I could totally understand Gwen giving Peter the cold shoulder (no pun intended). And Gwen was adorable when she went to hug Pete and accidently spilled hot chocolate on him. It was also nice to see MJ getting some more screen time since it's been a little bit on the short end for her so far this season. I did like the Christmas tone that this episode had, that wasn’t overbearing.

Animation wise this episode was great, some people were complaining about the cartoonish facial expressions on the likes of Vulture and Electro, calling them ugly; but I thought the expressions were subtle enough and didn’t feel out of place in the slightest. The CGI wasn’t too bad on the falling Christmas tree at The Rockafeller Center either. The best piece of animation in this episode was lightning quick exchanges between Electro and Spider-Man at the tire yard. The fight scenes were as impressive as ever (Electro’s being my favorite), but I had a couple issues with the plotting and staging in this episode that I’ll get to in a minute.
Spidey’s quips continue to always get a chuckle out of me; whether it was his burnt tongue, Spidey clause, "yikes, lock your chimneys folks", or him asking the work Santa if the 2 villains were on his naughty list. My favorite line of his was "It better not be another robot." just the subtle paranoia in Pete's voice made that line funny to me.

I could've bought into the two at a time method if they showed something like Kraven only agreeing to go along with the six, if he got to be at the end and be the one who got to put an end to Spidey, but unfortunately this was a step backwards in terms of what the six did last time, and this didn't have that sense of dread that Group Therapy had.

Otherwise its decent enough, especially liked the Cletus Cassidy cameo.

****1/2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts