The Spectacular Spider-Man "Persona" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this episode

• Total voters

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Say goodbye to your friendly neighbourhood superhero...

talkback.jpg

Episode #9: Persona
Original Airdate - May 17th, 2008

Spider-Man learns the hard way not to judge a book by its cover when another Spider-Man starts making headlines … as a crook! It's the Chameleon, master of disguise, looting the city and laying the blame at Spidey's feet. The Web-Slinger is forced to team up with another crook, the lovely Black Cat, to stop his foe's faux-Spidey crime spree and clear his name. Along the way, Spider-Man inadvertently comes in contact with an alien symbiote that dramatically alters our hero's color scheme … and begins to mess with his mind.

Comments?

batsy2

this episode was fantastic the black suit is incredible the black cat is sexy and the chameloen is clever
i love the appearences of Phineas Mason aka The Tinkerer and Quinton Beck aka Mysterio in this episode

Reg

Writing About This and That
Good episode. Tricia Helfier made Cat sound super sexy. She even gave Spidey some lip service at the end.

And Eddie thinking Spidey stole the suit and seeing Peter's pics. Now he's made at both. Killing two birds with one stone. Nice.

MJ finally made the opening credits. About time.

Ah and old-school Chameleon. Loved it.

Kolbar

@Cinecrisis on Twitter
What else can I say except Wow. That was amazing. They handled the alien suit perfectly and managed to introduce at least five new characters (not sure if Captain Stacy had appeared yet). Black Cat was purr-fect :D especially with that voice as well as a great style for the Chameleon. I love how Chameleon's henchmen were pre-supervillain versions of Mysterio and Tinkerer. Hopefully, when Beck gets out of prison, he'll transform into Mysterio.

You really have to give these guys credit. This show started out really good and has consistently gotten better with every episode. Little by little, this is becoming my favorite Spidey series over "Spider-Man TAS" and if it gets any better, it might even rival my affection for "Amazing Friends."

I was mad at Pete for trying to get the pictures...it seems he doesnt have loyalty or boundries when it comes to the conners.
Loved Black Cat hopefully she will appear this season again.
Next Episode: the sinister six! wonder when it will air.:sad:

batsy2

Good episode. Tricia Helfier made Cat sound super sexy. She even gave Spidey some lip service at the end.

And Eddie thinking Spidey stole the suit and seeing Peter's pics. Now he's made at both. Killing two birds with one stone. Nice.

MJ finally made the opening credits. About time.

Ah and old-school Chameleon. Loved it.

the black is way sexy and i love tric from battlestar was able to pull it off what did you think of the appeareces of quinton beck and mason who in season 2 will be Mysterio and The Tinkerer

I was mad at Pete for trying to get the pictures...it seems he doesnt have loyalty or boundries when it comes to the conners.
Loved Black Cat hopefully she will appear this season again.
Next Episode: the sinister six! wonder when it will air.:sad:
the episode group therapy is going to air on May 31st

Sonic_Eclipse

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
Awesome episode, Brock now officially hates Peter but IMO it's still not enough reason to really exactly hate him, will see what else happens. I knew Martha wasn't going to allow Pete to see the symbiote. And yet Pete still put his name on the photos, I guess he didn't learn.

I've never liked Chameleon, always thought he was lame and still is.

The Black Cat was awesome, and this time she gets the upside down kiss. I liked her voice, but Jenifer Hale is still the best.

The black suit looks great in motion, the next 3 episodes are going to kick ass.

jph139

Immortal
Wow. Fantastic. The action felt a tad... slower paced than usual, but since he's just fighting the Chameleon, it's obviously not going to be as exciting as Sandman or Doc Ock. Good scene tagging along on the boat, but it dragged on a bit too long IMO.

I do love the way they portrayed the suit's influence. It was really subtle, going from the "Well, I guess I should keep it..." to "I have to lie to the police or they'll take it away!" And it certainly FELT like he hit a lot harder during that fight on the cruise... ouch.

Not just that, but THREE characters I'm sure we'll be seeing again soon. Black Cat seems like an off and on friend, foe, and love interest. They handled her PERFECTLY. She was sultry, acrobatic, and cunning - that kiss at the end to distract Spidey from the fact she stole that necklace. Then there's Mysterio and the Tinkerer in their pre-supervillain forms, who could end up as a pretty cool duo. Mysterio is the field agent, fighting Spider-Man, while Tinkerer stays in the background and builds his stuff.

I'm definitely waiting to see what the next episode brings, though. And I wonder how long he'll keep the suit...

Rud

Nine Arts Dragon
Quinten Becks role in this episode caught me completely by surprise, and thats a good thing.

The Tinkerer looks too young in my opinion.

Anwar

Lord of the Vindaloovians
Well, to be honest I did like the black suit transformation scene better in TAS and SM3, but I guess they were going for a much more subtle transformation.

It's clear the symbiote bonded to Peter's costume and not directly to his body, not yet. Otherwise he's have felt it grafting to his nervous system and his brain and been in pain, like Brock when it bonded to him.

I wonder why it didn't set off his spider-sense when it glooped to his foot or was slowly covering him.

thedanmachine

gomu gomu no custom title
I honestly found this episode to be extremely dissapointing.
I felt like it was trying to balance too many things in one episode. I dont think Chameleon or his thugs, Mason and Beck got enough time at all. the feet-boarding thing with spidey attached to the chameleon's boat seemed to last forever. And the way Chameleon was beaten was so lame.
Black Cat was okay and so was everything with the symbiote.
I also thought Conners would play a bigger role but I guess not.

creativerealms

Sweet they will slightly alter the intro when the main characters change even mid season? Thats a nice added bonus, Harry being out and Mary Jane Being in the opening.

theRedDeath

In this episode we got:
-Black Cat
-Flirty banter w/Black Cat, including a few adult innuendos
-Brock being really cheezed off at Peter
-Peter mentioning that he and Brock's parents died in a plane crash. (Ultimate origin)
-Chameleon
-Mysterio
-The Tinkerer
-Black suit Spidey
-Captain Stacy sticking up for Spidey
-Upside down kiss with the cat.

So technically speaking, they kinda just established a total of five villains in this one episode, on top of everything else. Wow. This show really shoots for a whole other level.

What was the deal with Aunt May cooking though? That seemed like that might mean something later. Maybe she's planning a surprise party for Peter or something. She's a tricky one that.

----

Anwar

I liked how they didn't catch Chameleon, no Master Spy would get caught so easily.

creativerealms

Very fun episode, it seemed a bit slower paced then normal but thats not bad thing.

What was up with Aunt May's Marathion Cooking though? I don't understand the point behind that.

This was a set up episode for the last three episodes of the season and for season two. Sets up a darker Spiderman for next episode, sets up Venom, it sets up new villain's Mysterio and Tinkerer for season two and even more black cat and a return for Chameleon.

Oh this was not Captain Stacy's first appearance but his second. He appeared shortly in the Rhino episode but was left unnamed.

tb4000

So that quick walk-by of the cop that looked like Norman was the Chameleon then. I was confused for a minute there.

Donomark

A cool thing about this is when Peter and Black Cat got serious in the comics, he was wearing the symbiote at the time. I also liked the fact that even though MJ was moved to the opening credits, she was nowhere in this episode.

So Peter has another girl after him? This year might be the big change he's been hoping for since first episode after all.

Liz Allen
Gwen Stacy
Mary Jane Watson
Black Cat

There's only one way to describe this: PIMPIN'

Anwar

I'm still waiting for him to put the beat on Flash and do something nasty to Sally.

I'm guessing the symbiote won't give Brock Peter's memories, that way he won't realize everything bad Peter did was really all good stuff.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts