"The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Curious to see what is coming up for The Spectacular Spider-Man? Check out this thread, the 9th installment of the most up-to-date The Spectacular Spider-Man discussion online, for all the latest news and updates on the newest animated incarnation of everyone's favorite Web-Slinger!

The Spectacular Spider-Man - Currently airing on Disney XD!

For the latest news, check out Marvel Animation Age and the newest posts in this thread!

Check out the The Spectacular Spider-Man International Airings Talkback (Spoilers) for other information and comments. Also, talkbacks for individual The Spectacular Spider-Man episode are available here.

Related Threads:
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 2
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 3
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 4
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 5
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 6
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 7
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 8

Note: Please keep this thread, and the discussion found within, on-topic. Any disrespectful or uncivil behavior will result in immediate disciplinary action. Thank you.

Pepperidge

Jan 30, 2003
British Columbia
www.zannen.ca
It may not be the most optimistic note to start the thread off with, but I sent a notice out to the "Keep 'The Spectacular Spider-Man' Alive!" Facebook group last night which basically summarizes the current situation for the series. James suggested I post it here to get everyone up to speed:

I'm sure that a number of you have heard various mumblings about Spectacular Spider-Man's future in the past day or so. If you haven't, allow me to get you caught up and clarify the situation.

On Thursday, Newsarama posted a confusingly worded article in which Eric Rollman and Chris Yost of Marvel Animation were implied to have stated that TSSM' was "done and over". You can read the article here: http://www.newsarama.com/tv/091029-animated-shorts-marvel-animation.html

Don't let this ruin your entire day quite yet. This statement was NOT a direct quote, and it appears that Newsarama had simply jumped to conclusions.

Only a few hours had passed before Marvel Animation Age was able to grab a quick word with Eric Rollman in which he clarified that "no decisions have been made either way" regarding the fate of the series, adding that he appreciates the showing of support for The Spectacular Spider-Man. (Read the follow up here: http://forums.toonzone.net/showpost.php?p=3422283&postcount=432s)

So on one hand, the situation is still the same as it was before: there is still a very high possibility that TSSM will be renewed. However, this has highlighted that internal situations may stand in the way of the series' continuation. Because of this, it is more important than ever that we all step in and show our support for the series!

Here is what you can do:

1) If you live in the US, watch the new episodes as they air on Disney XD, and encourage others to do so! Especially if they have a Nielsen box! (It's their fault for letting you know that they have one! ;D)

"Subtext" will be airing on November 4 at 9pm ET. Ratings are the ABSOLUTE most important factor here, so get everyone you can to watch!

2) Write directly to Disney XD and let them know that they have to continue the series with (at the very least) Greg Weisman, Victor Cook, and Sean Galloway! Just be sure to write the following on the envelope:

Disney XD
MORE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN PLEASE!
3800 West Alameda Avenue
Burbank, CA 91505

Additionally, sending letters to Marvel Animation can help a great deal as well, especially for international fans. Try sending letters to both of these addresses, again insisting that Greg, Vic and Sean all be brought back:

Marvel Entertainment, Inc. / Marvel Animation
MORE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN PLEASE!
417 5th. Avenue
New York, NY 10016

Marvel Studios
MORE SPECTACULAR-SPIDER MAN PLEASE!
1600 Rosecrans Avenue
Building 7 - Suite 110
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266

Remember to write the "MORE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN PLEASE!" note on the envelope. The experts will tell you that this helps a lot in getting the message through!

3) Buy any merchandise you can with "The Spectacular Spider-Man" branding on it! Toys, notepads, DVDs... anything and everything! Remember: even if you aren't big on action figures, you can always buy some and then donate them to your favourite charity around Christmas!

Might I recommend this cheap and efficient Spectacular Spider-Man calendar that is available on Marvel's website?

http://shop.marvel.com/cat/The-Spectacular-Spider-Man-Animated-Series-2009-Wall-Calendar.html
The Facebook group has grown quite a bit over the past few weeks. Please join today if you can!

Last edited by a moderator:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Reposted from The The Spectacular Spider-Man News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers):
Marvel Animation Age caught up with The Spectacular Spider-Man supervising producer/story editor Greg Weisman concerning the "done and over with" comment apparently made in regards to the current production status of the The Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. The comment, made by Marvel Animation President Eric Rollman and Chris Yost and featured in a recent Marvel Animation-focused interview at Newsarama, resulted in a massive fan outcry for the series. Weisman had the following to say, as seen below.

"I don't know what to say," says Weisman. "Last I heard Disney XD was waiting to see how the series did in the November sweeps."

"If Eric [Rollman] and Chris [Yost] know for certain it's dead, it's news to me," he continues. "But they are insiders at Marvel, and I'm an insider at... well... nowhere, really."

He concludes, "I still hold out some hope that we'll make more The Spectacular Spider-Man episodes, but of course that decision is way out of my hands..."

When asked to elaborate on the "done and over with" comment, Marvel Animation President Eric Rollman told Marvel Animation Age that "no decisions have been made either way" regarding the fate of the series, adding that he appreciates the showing of support for The Spectacular Spider-Man. As of now, there appears to be no official confirmation on the status of The Spectacular Spider-Man, but stay tuned for further updates.
Comments?

Note: Please keep this thread, and the discussion found within, on-topic. Any disrespectful or uncivil behavior will result in immediate disciplinary action.

Oct 13, 2008
USA
Hard to imagine why Eric and Chris would make that statement if they didn't know it to be 100% true. If it isn't true, then it was a tremendously irresponsible statement, and kind of shows how these people seem to have a total lack of respect for TSSM. I hope they take notice that most of the comments on their lengthy article were about TSSM, and that the other shows were hardly even mentioned by readers. Also, Chris should be asked about the statement, not just Eric.

Capt. Speedbump

Captain Highwind

Feb 1, 2006
N/A
1) If you live in the US, watch the new episodes as they air on Disney XD, and encourage others to do so! Especially if they have a Nielsen box! (It's their fault for letting you know that they have one! ;D)
I wish Hulu would get in on this too, for those of us who don't have cable. It wouldn't hurt for them to do the same for Wolverine and the X-Men, since I'm very behind on that.

Anarky

Team Conan
Feb 2, 2002
Seattle
It's a shame TSSM went to Disney XD in the first place. That move instantly shrank the audience to a marginal few.

I don't have cable, in fact MILLIONS of households go without. Secondly, an even fewer select households subscribe to the deluxe package that includes Disney XD.

I knew TSSM was dead on impact.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Sep 13, 2002
Washington
www.tv.com
It's a shame TSSM went to Disney XD in the first place. That move instantly shrank the audience to a marginal few.

I don't have cable, in fact MILLIONS of households go without. Secondly, an even fewer select households subscribe to the deluxe package that includes Disney XD.

As I hear, the show has been doing pretty well despite the channel placement.

SpideyFan914

Greatest Poster Ever!
Mar 9, 2009
Long Island, New York

Only problem with this statement is that every show on DXD suffers the same "dilemma", and since those are the main competition, everyone's handicapped equally. It's like if you take two numbers, 9 and 10, then you subtract two from each of them, giving you 7 and 8, the latter number is still greater, because the former is minimized in the same way.

creativerealms

Jul 14, 2004
It could be on everyone's TV in the world and it wouldn't matter if they've done a bad job of promoting it.
While it was not the best promotional job ever it was not a bad job by any means. I can name like fifty big name shows with worse promotion then Spectacular Spider0man and 3/4ths of them were on Cartoon Network.

KCJ506

Feb 25, 2005
I feel sorry for Weisman. It seems like everytime he works for Disney it always gets canceled.

- Disney took Gargoyles in a different direction that he didn't want, so he left.

- Writes a comic about Gargoyles. Disney raises the price to SLG to publish. Canceled.

- Works on making a tv show for Atlantis. Canceled.

- Works on WITCHS. Canceled on that same year.

- SSM huge success for the CW goes to Disney. Possibly canceled by the people at Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The Teen Titans Go vs. Teen Titans trailer didn’t show Bumblebee, making me think either her stay on the Titans is temporary or i’m overthinking everything.
I wonder what Eddie Fitzgerald's up to...
Finally going to get to watch Shazam today! Can't wait :).

I found this interesting tweet thread from Jenny Calabro that definitely speaks volumes.