"The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread, Part 10 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmster

TSSM is essentially back on it's original home on The CW.

I'll keep my eye out on the airings to see if there will be any edits by BS&P.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
This will not get a 3rd season of the show made but this is very good news. Spectacular deserved one last shot and oddly enough it's going to be in more homes than USM. I doubt Marvel is thrilled about this at all. The only conciliation to Marvel is that Vortexx has been struggling to get off the ground since its launch.

Sony can apparently market the first two seasons and sell them but can't make any further seasons without purchasing the rights to make more from Marvel.

The Talon

I'm just glad i'll able to see one of the best superhero cartoons out there on my HDTV now. Vortexx will air the episodes in order, right?

aegisrawks

This will not get a 3rd season of the show made but this is very good news. Spectacular deserved one last shot and oddly enough it's going to be in more homes than USM. I doubt Marvel is thrilled about this at all. The only conciliation to Marvel is that Vortexx has been struggling to get off the ground since its launch.

Sony can apparently market the first two seasons and sell them but can't make any further seasons without purchasing the rights to make more from Marvel.

Actually its doing quite well. JLU in particular almost reached 1.5 million total viewers AND 1.2 in the desired 6-11 demographic. Should Spectacular join and with the right promotion could give Ultimate Spiderman a run for its money in ratings!

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
Actually its doing quite well. JLU in particular almost reached 1.5 million total viewers AND 1.2 in the desired 6-11 demographic. Should Spectacular join and with the right promotion could give Ultimate Spiderman a run for its money in ratings!

Oh, that's interesting. That's good for Vortexx. I was wondering why JLU was sticking around.

Well then. Marvel's not gonna be happy about this period. There's no way in hell they want SSM on the air, not when they're trying to promote USM. There's a reason why SSM has pretty much vanished from existence.

EDIT: This is a pretty big boon to Vortexx, however. Spider-Man is a HUGE name. I expect SSM to do very, very well, especially if JLU's ratings stay up and they give it a nice timeslot (like by Digimon Fusion).

aegisrawks

I hope this wont mean Disney will pull Spectacular Spidey off the air like they did with Iron Man:Armored Adventures,though. It was doing good on ratings and then poof!

The Talon

Wait, do the people at Vortexx have to ask for the rights to air shows like SSM or do they just air whatever they think will fit?

gmster

Wait, do the people at Vortexx have to ask for the rights to air shows like SSM or do they just air whatever they think will fit?

It's like any other business deal. They pay to acquire broadcast rights.

As long as Vortexx can get a contract that essentially forces them to air 26 episodes of SSM, there's no way Disney can pull SSM off Vortexx without breaking the contract. Which, you know, is just something you can't do.

The Talon

Oh ok. I just thought it'd be weird for Disney to pull a show off the air that they agreed to have broadcast in the first place.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
Oh ok. I just thought it'd be weird for Disney to pull a show off the air that they agreed to have broadcast in the first place.

It's not Disney who sold the show. It was Sony who sold it. It'd be up to Disney and Marvel to make additional seasons however.

suss2it

It's not Disney who sold the show. It was Sony who sold it. It'd be up to Disney and Marvel to make additional seasons however.
Sony sold the TV rights of Spidey back to Marve/Disney but kept the rights to Spectacular Spider-Man so technically nobody can make new episodes.

Dsneybuf

I realized the other day: do you think any children will feel turned off by the absence of characters from other Marvel comics? I put off playing the seventh and eighth DVDs because after The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, it felt a little awkward to me that volume five didn't at least reference any other comics (unless I missed something).

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
I realized the other day: do you think any children will feel turned off by the absence of characters from other Marvel comics? I put off playing the seventh and eighth DVDs because after The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, it felt a little awkward to me that volume five didn't at least reference any other comics (unless I missed something).

It didn't turn kids off in 2008, it was the highest-rated show on Kids WB! However, the environment in 2008 was different than now. Iron Man hadn't even been released in theaters yet.

But I'm inclined to believe that kids won't be turned off by it even now. The show has aged beautifully and it has some really awesome action sequences and dialogue and characterization on all fronts. Kids like that kind of stuff.

Dsneybuf

I now figure that at the very least, people who enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man in spite of no Avengers could accept their absence here. Maybe to them, the fact that this show has Gwen Stacy will provide yet another incentive to watch.

I_Spyral

Moonrider
I miss this show a lot. The decision to not carry it over to Disney just solidifies Spider-Man as this character I want to like, but can't because of the way the company treats him.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
I miss this show a lot. The decision to not carry it over to Disney just solidifies Spider-Man as this character I want to like, but can't because of the way the company treats him.

Marvel wanted to create their own Spider-Man show instead of paying Sony a fee to make more episodes of Spectacular. If Sony wants to make more episodes of Spectacular, they'd have to pay Marvel a fee to get the rights back. It's a messy legal situation created by the fact that Sony sold all TV rights to Spider-Man in order to prevent the movie rights slipping from their hands (I don't know why the movie rights were in danger of being taken away, btw). It's been kicked around by fans that they should encourage Sony or make a Kickstarter to summon the money necessary to pay the fee so Sony can make more episodes but I have no idea how that can be pulled off. Perhaps if SSM exceeds expectations by a great deal Saban will pay the fee for Sony.

Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man series in a lot of ways is the exact opposite of Spectacular Spider-Man. This is not by accident I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts