"The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread, Part 10 (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,885 13
Framingham, MA
Is that the one with GregXB as the host? (Not Weisman but one of his hardcore fans whose last name starts with a "B".) Not a fan.

Mainly because I've seen him and one of his buddies be condescending towards fans of Ultimate on several occasions; including them agreeing in the idea that those fans' taste are trash and anyone who prefers Ultimate over Spectacular is objectively wrong. Dead. Serious.
That guy is a hoser and has personally bullied me to suicidal thoughts more than once. I have a hard time taking Weisman seriously as the gatekeeper for the alienated Gargoyles within all of us when his spokesman is Margot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,809 47
Sherman Oaks CA
There will be a 10 year anniversary panel at Sacramento Comic Con on October 21. Presumably, Victor Cook will have his hands full with both this panel and the Stretch Armstrong panel.

10 years? Wow. Feels like only a few years ago it was living on the edge and fighting crime spinning webs on KidsWB...

Nov 18, 2007
Ratings
10 and a half years now
I was never really bowled over with what we were given with Firefly or this show. But part of the reason I have such fond memories for both is the untapped potential. That's probably why the series is as fondly remembered as it is.
The series is great as it is. Episode three ends with a stellar minute highlighting one of the defining aspects of the character, and it is done wonderfully.
The show tripped a few times in its run, but it is one of the finest in continuity shows made, and a really fine comic book cartoon.

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
Ratings
I would even go as far as to say that this show is easily the best adaptation of Spider-Man to date and no other has reached the same bar. And I'm saying this as someone who loves the first two Raimi movies, Homecoming and the recent ps4 game, and has a soft spot for the 80 - 90's cartoons and the MTV's animated series.

Other adaptations have their highlights, but SSM captured the style and themes of the original Stan Lee/Steve Ditko/John Romita sr. - era, with some influences from later stories, Ultimate universe and Raimi movies.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,809 47
Sherman Oaks CA
I would even go as far as to say that this show is easily the best adaptation of Spider-Man to date and no other has reached the same bar. And I'm saying this as someone who loves the first two Raimi movies, Homecoming and the recent ps4 game, and has a soft spot for the 80 - 90's cartoons and the MTV's animated series.

Other adaptations have their highlights, but SSM captured the style and themes of the original Stan Lee/Steve Ditko/John Romita sr. - era, with some influences from later stories, Ultimate universe and Raimi movies.
I'm glad you mentioned the PS4 game because I feel like that game was honestly probably the best adaption of Spider-Man we've gotten since Spectacular :).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,885 13
Framingham, MA
Especially since the post you quoted was clearly talking about SSM not Firefly.
My mistake and my apologies.

UPDATE:

Deleted my above post because I mistook what the post I replied to was referring to. I stand by the opinions I expressed, but they turned out to be for a different topic than I was responding to.

Last edited:

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
741 2
Canada
Man, it warms my heart to see this thread bumped! This show is a big reason why I got back into animation, and having the chance to discuss it is a big reason why I joined this forum in the first place. I don't know if this is my favourite animated series of all time, but it's in the top 3. The writing, the plot arcs, the animation, the music and the voice acting are all top notch. I still don't like the Kraven episode (Which is something that everyone disagreed with me on back in 2009), but the other 25 episodes are absolute television gold. For me, this is far and away the best Marvel animated series of all time, and I consider it to be comparable to BTAS in terms of quality superhero animation. If this show had been allowed to finish its run, it may have even surpassed it, or at least equal it.

I'll never forget the long time period where this thread was in a holding pattern waiting for news of a season 3. We spent months discussing our hopes for a renewal even when there was no actual news. I think it's a testament to the shows greatness that we spent months talking about it despite there being no news and no new episodes to air. I still remember the day that I logged into here and saw the pre-release thread for Ultimate Spider-Man, which was a clear sign that TSSM had fallen victim to the Semper curse, a curse which USM would later break. That announcement lead to the biggest freakout I've seen on this site since Toonami was cancelled. I don't think I've seen one like that since.

Thanks to whoever bumped this, I've been wanting a chance to reminisce about this show. If you haven't seen it, I urge you to go buy the DVD or watch it on Crackle (Which has sadly just shut down here in Canada). You won't regret it.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,618 11
Its always weirded me out that the cartoon with the best Spiderman fight Choegraphy was a Saturday morning one at the time when Saturday morning cartoons were dying

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,516 4
177A Bleecker Street
I can't say that I ever miss the show. I accepted it being gone a long time ago. When I see something like that poster (even though the art is old), I really think about what we missed out on though. I just have to imagine how awesome a complete five season series and some college spin-off DTVs could have been.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk