"The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread, Part 10 (Spoilers)

Latest News

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Ratings
1,231 3
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Check out this thread, the 10th installment of the most up-to-date The Spectacular Spider-Man discussion online, for all the latest news and updates on the newest animated incarnation of everyone's favorite Web-Slinger!

The Spectacular Spider-Man

For the latest news, check out Marvel Animation Age and the newest posts in this thread!

Check out the The Spectacular Spider-Man International Airings Talkback (Spoilers) for other information and comments. Also, talkbacks for individual The Spectacular Spider-Man episode are available here.

Related Threads:
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 2
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 3
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 4
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 5
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 6
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 7
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 8
-The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 9

Note: Please keep this thread, and the discussion found within, on-topic. Any disrespectful or uncivil behavior will result in immediate disciplinary action. Thank you.

CyberCubed

Sep 25, 2004
Ratings
45 1
NY
I'm not sure what else there is to say at this point, but I'm guessing the show really is canceled. Its a shame, as it at least deserved 52 episodes before it went, but I guess there's nothing that can be done.

They'll probably make another new Spiderman cartoon when the new live-action movie comes out, but I doubt it'll be as good as this one. Then again, who knows.

Jun 12, 2009
Colorado, USA
I'm not sure what else there is to say at this point, but I'm guessing the show really is canceled. Its a shame, as it at least deserved 52 episodes before it went, but I guess there's nothing that can be done.

They'll probably make another new Spiderman cartoon when the new live-action movie comes out, but I doubt it'll be as good as this one. Then again, who knows.
I wouldn't be surprised if the show did get canceled, but it's best to wait until an official source confirms it before making the call.
I know! I wish the show could at least make it to 52 episodes! The last time I saw this show was when it aired on 4Kids, and that was a LONG time ago. HeHeHe... ;)
But I'm going to think on the bright side and hope that we get a third season!!

CyberCubed

Sep 25, 2004
Ratings
45 1
NY
I doubt anyone will say it will not be renewed, we'll just get no news for all of eternity.
Which is basically the nice way of saying, "the show has ended production," which it has.

In all seriousness, with the new live-action movie coming in 2012 they're probably going to start over with a whole new cartoon. Its already been too long since Spiderman ended production originally, and it'd take them another year to start up new scripts/animation (remember, nothing has been worked on, new eps take about a year to produce from start to finish), which by that point it would make more sense to start over from square one.

To me the writing is on the wall at this point, if they really wanted to continue the show we would have known by now and the staff would have been hired back together. This hasn't happened.

W.C.Reaf

Jan 9, 2007
Ratings
UK
In all seriousness, with the new live-action movie coming in 2012 they're probably going to start over with a whole new cartoon.
However if they wanted to make a new cartoon to fully cash in on the movie (which they don't have to, mind you) it would have to be set in high school, at the beginning of Spidey's career where he's facing all his old villains for the first time.

What they'd basically want is SSM with a new coat of paint and new people behind the curtain. Surely wouldn't it make more sense to just continue production of the (not so) old show rather than start development of a new one from scratch if they were going to be that similar?

Feb 10, 2010
USA
I'm waiting for an official announcement before I send this show off to the television graveyard. The thing that bugs me is though, why doesn't Disney XD fight to keep this show on? It is doing well in the ratings, people watch (all my friends do and they love it!) the show, and it would fill a nice gap until the new movie/re-boot comes out.

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
Aug 23, 2004
Ratings
United States
What they'd basically want is SSM with a new coat of paint and new people behind the curtain. Surely wouldn't it make more sense to just continue production of the (not so) old show rather than start development of a new one from scratch if they were going to be that similar?
I'm sure the idea of Marvel's own people behind it (maybe Joe Quesada himself like on Superhero Squad) is more appealing than having Sony's crew behind it. It's the only reason I can think of why they (Marvel) promote their other current shows a bunch and not SSM. I also thought I read somewhere the longer a show goes on, the more it costs to renew it, so if they want the show to extend beyond the reboot movie (between set between the first and second one), then that would mean a lot more upkeep for a show starting at season 3... but that's just what I've read on a thread once, so take it with a grain of salt.

W.C.Reaf

Jan 9, 2007
Ratings
UK
It's the only reason I can think of why they (Marvel) promote their other current shows a bunch and not SSM.
Well currently SSM is only in repeats so there's no point in promoting it as much as they did the other shows. I also thought the reason Marvel didn't promote it when it was running was that it was a Sony show so the marketing ball would be in their court, not Marvel's.

Shredhead

Suck gas evildoers!
Feb 21, 2009
Texas
My guess is the reason why SSM is possiblie dead is because of JoeQ and his pet project Super Hero Sqaud. I got a feeling Spider-Man not being on that show is what got marvel to want to get the animation rights back. I remember JoeQ said thats one of the things he wanted changed about SHS. So to put it simple the show had an uphill battle that it was never going to be able to survive. The show got yanked because it wasn't part of 4Kids agenda and I got a feeling its happening again but this time its not going to bounce back. Fact is its going to be easier making a new show then it would bringing this one back. I hope I'm wrong about this but I got a feeling I'm not.

W.C.Reaf

Jan 9, 2007
Ratings
UK
Fact is its going to be easier making a new show then it would bringing this one back.
Explain this please?

With a new show they have to get a show runner and fill various writer and art department positions, decide on an art style, what main characters they want, secondary characters involved, what those characters are actually like (their personalities, what their relationship with Peter is, how they fit in the grand scheme of things, etc), cast them all which means holding auditions, then there's sorting out the music and sound effects (what does web slinging sound like? What does it sound like what he shoots web? etc), and various other tasks the new crew will have to figure out with starting a new show.

With the old one they have the art style, the music, sound effects, the characters, the VAs (it's been confirmed that pretty much all of them would want to come back), and the only real task is getting the old crew back since some of them have new jobs that they might not want to leave or can't because of contract. But so long as Greg Weisman and Vic Cook come back the new crew members would have a guiding point for the show.

I really don't see how starting a new show is easier than just bringing back the old one in this case.

Oct 13, 2008
Ratings
USA
Well currently SSM is only in repeats so there's no point in promoting it as much as they did the other shows. I also thought the reason Marvel didn't promote it when it was running was that it was a Sony show so the marketing ball would be in their court, not Marvel's.
I think I might have said this before, so if I'm repeating, forgive me.

I have a really hard time believing that Sony had such an overpowering choke-hold over this show, featuring Marvel's flagship character, that Marvel really believed they had no reason to promote it over a level where its existence is barely acknowledged. Would Marvel really give Sony that much power over Spider-Man without getting something back in return? I think there has to be more behind the lack of promotion than just this, but it's starting to look like we may never know.

Capt. Speedbump

Nygma

Jan 1, 2007
USA
Which is basically the nice way of saying, "the show has ended production," which it has.

In all seriousness, with the new live-action movie coming in 2012 they're probably going to start over with a whole new cartoon. Its already been too long since Spiderman ended production originally, and it'd take them another year to start up new scripts/animation (remember, nothing has been worked on, new eps take about a year to produce from start to finish), which by that point it would make more sense to start over from square one.

To me the writing is on the wall at this point, if they really wanted to continue the show we would have known by now and the staff would have been hired back together. This hasn't happened.
You did read the news about what Eric Rollman said at the Planet Hulk showing about getting rights issues with the show sorted out with Sony before typing this didn't you?

wcreaf is right in that starting a new show in the same setting would be redundant.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
703 2
Canada
A reboot would be great news!I am all for that if the same team that do wolverine and the x-men make a new spiderman series,wouldn't that give you hope?It will go with the reboot of the spiderman movies and a fresh new start to spiderman.
Umm.... no. We want season 3 of this show, plan and simple. Maybe they'll let it twist in the wind until the movie, and then renew it. But seeing as Disney would make the show, then they hand money to Sony for promoting the movie.

Oct 13, 2008
Ratings
USA
Just a comment in general:

Sony is rebooting the Spider-Man movies.

The new movie is alleged to have Peter Parker as a high school student.

The new movie is scheduled for summer, 2012.

How is any of this related to The Spectacular Spider-Man Animated Series!?!?! Especially since Sony is supposedly giving the rights back to Marvel??

That is all for now. Carry on.

Capt. Speedbump

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Poor Craig. How old is he anyway?!
9.4 x 1.8
= (94 x 0.1) x (18 x 0.1)
= 94 x 18 x 0.1 x 0.1

94 x 10 = 940
94 x 8 = (90 x 8) + (4 x 8) = 720 + 32 = 752
94 x 18 = 940 + 752 = 1692

9.4 x 1.8
= 1692 x 0.1 x 0.1
= 169.2 x 0.1
= 16.92
Stephanie Sheh voicing Izzy Park the same way she does Sailor Moon has me considering the chance of Nazneen Contractor dubbing some "Sailor Moon" episodes I currently dont plan to buy.
Watched the newest Halloween yesterday
I can’t express my unpopular opinions without someone yelling or disagreeing at me why I’m a monster for thinking that way (liking adult animation, SpongeBob’s new episodes are inferior, etc.)
If you have Starz Encore Family (Not Kids & Family, but Family...) 1 hour as of this post, they'll be playing "Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas" and "Sonic Christmas Blast". (3:19pm-4:06pm EST) Both will play again at some point.