The Smurfs, a Hanna-Barbera show, on Nickelodeon in 2022?

Cartoons90

I've been out of the loop for a bit as far as active shows on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, but from what I can see it looks like a new Smurfs show is airing on Nickelodeon. Given that Hanna-Barbera owns The Smurfs, which is all under the Turner/Cartoon Network/WarnerMedia umbrella, why didn't Cartoon Network pick this show up? I can't remember Nickeloden airing a Hanna-Barbera show since it aired Yogi Bear reruns in the '90s. This is very fascinating to me. Thank you for any info!

Edit - I apologize if this needs to be moved to the Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network forum. My mistake!

Last edited:

kanc

2021, actually, and we already have a thread for it plus that thread already in Nicktoons section.

It already premiered in Nick USA in Sept 2021

Cartoons90

Hanna-Barbera never owned the Smurfs; their original creator, Peyo, allowed HB to make animated cartoons of them.
Ah, gotcha! I did not realize that, but that may very well take care of the mystery of how this came to be. Thank you for this info. Fascinating!

Cartoons90

2021, actually, and we already have a thread for it plus that thread already in Nicktoons section.

It already premiered in Nick USA in Sept 2021

Ah, I see now. Thank you for this info. I need to see this show!

Pooky

Staff member
I'm not quite sure what the agreement was for the Hanna-Barbera series, but it seems neither they (or their then owners Taft Broadcasting) had full rights to The Smurfs even at the series' peak; another company (Atlantic Releasing) dubbed and released the 70s Belgium Film The Smurfs and the Magic Flute in the US in 1983.

Cartoons90

I'm not quite sure what the agreement was for the Hanna-Barbera series, but it seems neither they (or their then owners Taft Broadcasting) had full rights to The Smurfs even at the series' peak; another company (Atlantic Releasing) dubbed and released the 70s Belgium Film The Smurfs and the Magic Flute in the US in 1983.
Never realized that. So H-B made Smurfs cartoons in the same way they made Batman cartoons, really...they were commissioned to make them, but never owned the franchise. I didn't realize that until today.

Pooky

Staff member
Pretty much. There was some Smurfs merchandise in the US in the late 70s, and to my understanding the President of NBC saw their potential after his daughter bought one of the dolls. Hanna-Barbera would have got involved because they were the biggest company producing Saturday morning animation at the time.

Pooky

Staff member
For anyone interested in sampling pre-Hanna Barbera Smurfs, the late 70s UK dub of Smurfs and the Magic Flute is on the official YouTube channel, although fair warning the Smurfs themselves don't appear until about half way in!

parkersfan89

I've been out of the loop for a bit as far as active shows on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, but from what I can see it looks like a new Smurfs show is airing on Nickelodeon. Given that Hanna-Barbera owns The Smurfs, which is all under the Turner/Cartoon Network/WarnerMedia umbrella, why didn't Cartoon Network pick this show up? I can't remember Nickeloden airing a Hanna-Barbera show since it aired Yogi Bear reruns in the '90s. This is very fascinating to me. Thank you for any info!

Edit - I apologize if this needs to be moved to the Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network forum. My mistake!
Nick also played Looney Tunes & Yogi bear back in the day from what I heard before.

parkersfan89

Also, Garfield is apparently Nickelodeon property now.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts