The Simpsons: Cartoon Network or Adult Swim?

Latest News

sasq

Oct 5, 2015
Ratings
288 7
Italy
I don't live in the United States of America, but I would like to ask a question.

Like we all know, Fox put The Simpsons' cable rights for sale years ago with Turner (Adult Swim) and Viacom (Comedy Central) being interested, and FX Networks (Fox) won them for their FXX channel.

But what if Turner won that sale or bought the rights years before? and there is a problem.

While 'The Simpsons' has many moments of adult humor (especially the later seasons), the series is far more tame than shows like Family Guy (especially the early seasons, which also had many episodes rated TV-PG and some even rated TV-G, same thing in the UK).

Given CN has been airing more TV-PG shows since the debut of Adventure Time and Regular Show, where do you think should have The Simpsons aired if they got the rights?

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
There is no chance that Cartoon Network proper would air the Simpsons. It would be a bit too adult for the kids watching Cartoon Network. I agree that it would work as a nice lead in for Adult Swim, but I don't know if that is too likely to happen either.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
Ratings
951 1
East Northport
Yeah CN may allow very limited PG fare but that's still more "aimed at kids" PG fare not "aimed at general adult audience" PG like the Simpsons which yeah if put on the channel would be put on Adult Swim. As I've said several times though I don't want AS to ever air The Simpsons since I have a feeling they will just use that as excuse to take even more of CN's runtime for themselves due to how popular the Simpsons would be as a get.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
136 13
Ohio
I originally thought Viacom should have gotten the cable rights because Comedy Central had Futurama at the time. Of course with so many episodes of The Simpsons they could have been divvied up between Viacom's networks (Nick at Nite, TV Land, MTV, MTV2, Comedy Central, Spike [new PMN]) for easier airing. Come 2018 and CC/Viacom no longer has Futurama.

Golden Geek

Gera Gera Po
Dec 31, 2013
Ratings
544 11
United States
Cartoon Network could've shown The Simpsons - but they'd often be digging the scissors out to cut unsuitable innuendo or language, like how stations in the UK used to do while running the show in kid-friendly slots. Fans definitely would've complained. Adult Swim would be a better choice.

LinusFan303

Welcome, Great Pumpkin
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
904 5
Colorado
First, I will say I am glad FXX has the rights they do a good job with the show (minus the whole 16:9 by stretching thing) I like the two theme nights and access to the episodes on FX Now. Adult Swim would have picked up the show over CN as maybe a buffer show like how KOTH is used. I do think Turner would have maybe picked it up for both TBS and Adult Swim, but the chance of it airing on CN would be thin. Even though many kids have watched the series , I know I did when I was a kid and watched as a family on Sundays, Cartoon Network wouldn't have been an option at all for the Simpsons.