The Scooby Doo Show the start of Scooby Doo's decline

Animehero

I notice this version of Scooby Doo is very underrated and the animation is not as good as the one on the original Scooby Doo seasons 1 & 2.

This series appears to have the same plotlines that would later be used in the 1979 Scrappy Doo episodes.

I also notice Scooby & Shaggy doing more hijinks then usual in this series, Fred Daphne and Velma would be solving the mysteries the most in different locations and sometimes in this series Scooby & Shaggy would not know what took place in the mysteries.

Scooby Dum was also added to this series. Is one of the first signs that Scooby doo was on the decline.

So the you think the show started to go downhill or do you believe it broke the unity of the Gang up. You Decide ?

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I personally grew up with the 1976 episodes (because What's New Scooby-Doo aired too early here) and loved them. I watched them every Wednesday and eventually bought them on DVD.

I didn't know people didn't like Scooby Dum. He only appeared in 4 episodes in 1976-1977. He wasn't that bad for a minor character...

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Well, people have nicer things to say about Scooby Dum compared to Scrappy Doo given that, unlike the latter, he only appeared in a few episodes, and had a more low key personality, unlike Scrappy being more high strung and constantly put to the forefront.

hobbyfan

Scooby-Dum was modeled after Edgar Bergen's Mortimer Snerd puppet, and was meant to be another comedy relief character. Folks weren't into Scooby-Dee, either, and she made just one appearance in the same run (1976-9).

Animehero

Scooby Dum was one of the first miss steps in Scooby Doo cartoons. I guess he wasn't popular since he only appear in only 4 episodes of the 1976-1978 seasons of the Scooby doo show.

Scooby Dum wasn't well like by any fans.

Scrappy Doo pretty much took his place, but in an annoying way.

The Scooby doo Show seems very underrated entirely.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I'm going to be honest but I quite like Scrappy though it's a shame that personnel from Hanna-Barbera and its successor Warner Bros. Animation do not like him, especially that A Pup Named Scooby-Doo showrunner Tom Ruegger said he was glad that he did said series instead of doing another show with Scrappy and James Gunn (who wrote the screenplay of the 2002 film before doing Guardians of the Galaxy) has admitted that he's not a fan of the character.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Was The Scooby-Doo Show really THAT different from Scooby Doo Where Are You?

A summary of Scooby-Doo history:

1969 till 1979 - 89 episodes and 1 special without Scrappy
1979 till 1988 - 88 episodes and 3 movies with Scrappy
1988 till 2019 - 214 episodes, 39 movies and 10 specials without Scrappy
2002 - a live-action movie with Scrappy as a villain

Most of Scooby's history is without Scrappy. I find it odd that so many Animesuperhero members miss him that much.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Most of Scooby's history is without Scrappy. I find it odd that so many Animesuperhero members miss him that much.
While you are correct on that, most of the classic era from 1969 to 1985 in terms of series were with Scrappy and it's not that odd on that several members of this very site miss him that much since they likely grew up with the classic era when it was shown on either Cartoon Network or Boomerang.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
This may be hard to believe, but those many members genuinely like (or even love -- or at least know how to tolerate) Scrappy as a TV character, because (despite all they've seen or been told) they still wanted to like him and found something in or about him that's actually good, therefore wish for his return in the franchise (positively featured of course).
And - like Scooby-Dum - it's not like he was a blip in history; those shows featuring him aired regularly on CN and Boom during their early years and were watched by a lot of kids - regardless of their feelings of him.

What I find odd (read: annoying) is how people who hate Scrappy find it odd that people like him.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Cartoon Network used to air a lot of old Scooby Doo reruns back in the day, so I saw most of Scrappy's original appearances when I was little. I can kind of see why Scrappy has become more infamous, but at the same time, I never thought he was annoying or unlikable when I was little. He was basically a gimmick new character introduced in an attempt to keep the series going, which basically did work in a way.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
What I find odd (read: annoying) is how people who hate Scrappy find it odd that people like him.
I can understand that people liked him, but I find it odd that people want him back so much. Out of ALL Hannah Barbera characters, he is THE most missed character on this forum. Every once in a while, someone says he wishes Scrappy would come back. I find that odd (do not read: annoying).

I liked Scooby Dum, but I don't miss him.
I didn't like Jonny Quest, but I do miss him. I think a modern adaptation could be awesome.

What could Scrappy Doo do that would be different from the 80s series? Maybe they could do a 3rd season of Mystery Incorporated (or a new series with a similar tone) in which Scrappy starts off as an aggressive dog but gets character development along the way.

EDIT: Am I the only one who likes The Scooby-Doo Show (TSDS) more than Scooby Doo Where Are You (SDWAY)? I checked both back to back and while SDWAY looks a lot scarier than season 1 and 2 of TSDS, the animation of 1976-1978 is just much better and it is not as slow as SDWAY was.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I can understand that people liked him, but I find it odd that people want him back so much. Out of ALL Hannah Barbera characters, he is THE most missed character on this forum. Every once in a while, someone says he wishes Scrappy would come back. I find that odd (do not read: annoying).
That's fair. It's not that I don't hate people who hate Scrappy (I'm more than okay with it), it does irritate me when I see the many people go all in on it. But I remembered that I love and enjoy Scrappy and I move on.

I'm sorry if you thought I was being a jerk to you about that.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Scrappy was annoying, but he was no less annoying than any of the other original characters. I don't get the specific hate for him. At all. It's outright irrational.

You want a character worth hating? Try Flimflam.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It didn't help that he returned for Curse of the 13th Ghost, while Scrappy didn't.
They completely revamped Flimflam for that film. His personality was entirely different as an adult. Maybe the reason Scrappy didn't appear is that the producers realized they'd probably have to age him too.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
You want a character worth hating? Try Flimflam.
Yeah, he certainly isn't a very popular character.
Seconded. It didn't help that Scrappy was a much better-developed character (at least IMO) at this point; Flimlam had nothing about him that worked or resonated well with fans to make him fondly memorable. (At least he's much better and likable as an adult in Curse of the 13th Ghost)

It didn't help that he returned for Curse of the 13th Ghost, while Scrappy didn't.
Yes! And that sucked to me.
Again, FlimFlam is a much better and well-developed character here than on The 13 Ghosts. But the way the movie dismissed Scrappy as if he didn't exist right after - he was just mentioned - pissed me off.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts