The Owl House News And Discussion Thread

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I know the series probably won't go down this route, but what if nobody had cursed Eda and that her transformation is actually from not joining a Coven, which not only limits a witch's magic but also prevents their magic from tuning against them?

Eda's magic turning against her because she didn't join some glorified club at best? The best/sad part is that could actually work, because without daily training and honing of your skills regularly, you could get rusty and do something rather unfortunate, such as cursing yourself without even knowing it, which is worst case scenario right there.

Once again, my real problem with this is trusting the writers at the moment to implement this in a way that works and feels natural, more than anything.

Seriously, having the unfortunate plot revelation be that Eda cursed herself by not training or at least exercising with her powers regularly, as a means of maintaining them, so that she can't accidentally turn herself into an out-of-control, rather unintelligent monster? Sounds great if it's done and incorporated into the story well enough. Pulled up right out in the open, however? No way. I can only hope going forward the writers don't trip up on how Eda got actually cursed, either way - whether it be someone who's out to get her, or because it's unfortunately her own doggone fault.

Here's this short.

>Mattholomule suffering after what he did to Gus in Episode 9
GOOD. Bullies in general without any real depth, personality, or development away from that crap will always be terrible characters who deserve to suffer. In that case, keep the pain a-comin' and make him suffer more - nearly being trapped in detention like that was not enough suffering, as far as I'm concerned.

Looks like Mattholomule is gonna receive a lot of karma against him throughout the series if this short is any indication.

This. Only because karma is a beautiful, sexy hot mama sometimes!

Seriously though, on the setting - as much as this is aiming to be funny and it overall does work well enough (at least IMHO), this is sadly what I mean by the show ultimately straining itself if it spends too much time in this one unfortunately lame setting that is school - the jokes will just be about how much school in America sucks; something I'm sure we are mostly tired of seeing (especially in a unique fantasy setting, such as the Boiling Isles!) by now, honestly. I have been for far too long and was from the very beginning that I actually started paying attention to this medium in general, unfortunately. Hence why I don't trust these writers as much as I want to, so far.

Last edited:

doomrider7

That One Guy
New episode came out and it was good.

I actually liked the interactions between Amity and her siblings which came off as really nice and genuine. Like they pick on her, but it really feels like they actually do love and care for her and it's more just a sibling thing. I also like that we saw more of the Boiling Isles and it's history what with witches of old needing to be in tune with nature to draw its latent magic power. One thing that I liked, but also nagged at me was Luz stealing the training wand. At this point she really should know better by now, but it can be remedied if they tie it back into her seeming issue of wanting to learn magic so bad and be special.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member

I actually liked the interactions between Amity and her siblings which came off as really nice and genuine. Like they pick on her, but it really feels like they actually do love and care for her and it's more just a sibling thing. I also like that we saw more of the Boiling Isles and it's history what with witches of old needing to be in tune with nature to draw its latent magic power. One thing that I liked, but also nagged at me was Luz stealing the training wand. At this point she really should know better by now, but it can be remedied if they tie it back into her seeming issue of wanting to learn magic so bad and be special.
I'm confused. Is this an episode that came out recently or are you referring to an old episode that you haven't commented on yet?

Zanneck

EDIT: @Elijah Abrams - Yeah, I was careless. Please excuse that.

I'd recommend not reading my (now fully spoilered) comment until the episode officially drops, honestly.

Episode 11 was leaked, unfortunately. And like @doomrider7 said, it was actually pretty dang High Tier an effort, in terms of what we needed. So much so that I'm sorry this wasn't the mid season finale instead of what we got, which was pretty underwhelming when compared to this effort in question, IMHO.

I'm saying it again loud and proud: AMITY IS BEST CHARACTER AND DID NOTHING WRONG.

Also, I really personally believe that Luz should only really be (best) friends with Amity, in terms of someone her age, since the dynamic on display with them actually works.

OK, Maybe too well, but it does, unlike Willow and Gus, who have yet to prove they're not weak characters, especially Willow (UGH - don't make me go into why, either. I'd rather not, since I actually did like this latest episode and I want to stay focused on the positives, dangit.)!

As much as I'd like to see Luz hang out and learn stuff from Eda more - more importantly, continue to learn magic proper from her (which I'm very happy to see happen here, I was getting angry that she wasn't after Episode 4!), Luz does need friends her age that she can actually relate to - Amity does do that where Willow and Gus fail to for me.

Last edited:

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!

Episode 11 was leaked, unfortunately. And like @doomrider7 said, it was actually pretty dang High Tier an effort, in terms of what we needed. So much so that I'm sorry this wasn't the mid season finale instead of what we got, which was pretty underwhelming when compared to this effort in question, IMHO.

I'm saying it again loud and proud: AMITY IS BEST CHARACTER AND DID NOTHING WRONG.

Also, I really personally believe that Luz should only really be (best) friends with Amity, in terms of someone her age, since the dynamic on display with them actually works.

OK, Maybe too well, but it does, unlike Willow and Gus, who have yet to prove they're not weak characters, especially Willow (UGH - don't make me go into why, either. I'd rather not, since I actually did like this latest episode and I want to stay focused on the positives, dangit.)!

As much as I'd like to see Luz hang out and learn stuff from Eda more - more importantly, continue to learn magic proper from her (which I'm very happy to see happen here, I was getting angry that she wasn't after Episode 4!), Luz does need friends her age that she can actually relate to - Amity does do that where Willow and Gus fail to for me.
I don't think you should talk about episodes leaked from another country until they come out in the United States. Leaks jeopardize the fun and suspense of watching a new episode for the first time.

zoombie

I just saw episode 11, I don't know they might not air it for a while, because they might have to edit it because of a joke that because of Covid-19.

The bat eating joke.

JTZ

I just saw episode 11, I don't know they might not air it for a while, because they might have to edit it because of a joke that because of Covid-19.

The bat eating joke.

I don't think that's gonna be an issue. By the way, some people argue it wasn't episode 11 because the first letter of the title doesn't match.

About the episode:

I really liked the friendship between Luz and Amity. They've got a good dynamic, and Amity is an interesting character. Also, nice to see her siblings aren't stereotypical bully siblings, but were actually somewhat nice and caring towards Amity this time.

The whole "Luz learns magic from nature"-thing is also pretty clever. I was afraid Luz would only learn new spells by catching the glyphs on the magic circles with her camera or something, which could have become boring. Now I'm curious what kind of patterns in what places she'll come across. Also, it helps guide the show towards an underlying message ("Magic is everywhere").

As for the plot itself, it was okay. The setup about having to know two spells not to get in baby class was kind of a clumsy way to create tension, and I was a bit annoyed by Luz trying to hide the fact she only knows one spell from Amity and her siblings. Also, why did they even bother with that King-plot? It had a funny ending, but since this was a relatively important episode in regard to Luz learning magic, it was weird they added this completely redundant side-story.

I'd say he episode itself was good, though not great, and set up some nice character dynamics and developments for future episodes.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!

The bat eating joke.
I don't think that's gonna be an issue. By the way, some people argue it wasn't episode 11 because the first letter of the title doesn't match.

About the episode:

I really liked the friendship between Luz and Amity. They've got a good dynamic, and Amity is an interesting character. Also, nice to see her siblings aren't stereotypical bully siblings, but were actually somewhat nice and caring towards Amity this time.

The whole "Luz learns magic from nature"-thing is also pretty clever. I was afraid Luz would only learn new spells by catching the glyphs on the magic circles with her camera or something, which could have become boring. Now I'm curious what kind of patterns in what places she'll come across. Also, it helps guide the show towards an underlying message ("Magic is everywhere").

As for the plot itself, it was okay. The setup about having to know two spells not to get in baby class was kind of a clumsy way to create tension, and I was a bit annoyed by Luz trying to hide the fact she only knows one spell from Amity and her siblings. Also, why did they even bother with that King-plot? It had a funny ending, but since this was a relatively important episode in regard to Luz learning magic, it was weird they added this completely redundant side-story.

I'd say he episode itself was good, though not great, and set up some nice character dynamics and developments for future episodes.
I don't think you should talk about episodes that aired in foreign countries first. Maybe wait until we Americans have seen it on TV or official digital before discussing it.

Korra_Fan

Saw the episode.

Luz and Amity's interactions are so precious: they can clearly understand each other in a way nobody else around them can. I especially liked that even when angry at Luz for 'borrowing' her training wand, Amity still prioritized keeping her safe and it didn't take much for her to forgive her afterward. They are outright friends at this point, and I definitely think that's going to bring about some positive things by the end of the season.

I also enjoyed Amity's siblings here. They're still jerks, but that doesn't mean they're monsters - at their core they still love Amity and don't want anything truly dangerous happening to her, and when in a crisis they have her back and vice-versa. I think terrible parenting is responsible for Ed/Em and Amity's issues in different ways, and I'm glad to see that in spite of that they can still work together and support each other when it really counts.

zoombie

Saw the episode.

Luz and Amity's interactions are so precious: they can clearly understand each other in a way nobody else around them can. I especially liked that even when angry at Luz for 'borrowing' her training wand, Amity still prioritized keeping her safe and it didn't take much for her to forgive her afterward. They are outright friends at this point, and I definitely think that's going to bring about some positive things by the end of the season.

I also enjoyed Amity's siblings here. They're still jerks, but that doesn't mean they're monsters - at their core they still love Amity and don't want anything truly dangerous happening to her, and when in a crisis they have her back and vice-versa. I think terrible parenting is responsible for Ed/Em and Amity's issues in different ways, and I'm glad to see that in spite of that they can still work together and support each other when it really counts.

Good points

You bring up an interesting with Amity's parents, I think they are going to be big players when we meet them. I think they might have close ties to the Emperor.

Who knows they might be worst parents than Preston Northwest, though that is a high bar of terrible parenting.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence

When looking here, it mentions new episodes returning Saturday July 11, still in the same 8:50pm timeslot. Here are the titles.

Sense And Insensitivity

Adventures In The Elements

The First Day
Another episode title according to Gracenote (a Nielsen company):

Understanding Willow

So now the first letters of each episode title spell out A WITCH LOSES A TU (or AT U)

What could it possibly be?

Last edited:

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
For a better visualization.
4caff67e32c18f09bbf7f461e8342292.jpg

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

StellaMagic

For a better visualization.
4caff67e32c18f09bbf7f461e8342292.jpg

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

My mistake on the first letter message: A Witch Loses at ru... Know six-letter words starting with RU-

Anyway here is what I think each episode will be about

Sense and Insensitivity- Luz and Eda hurt King's feelings, and he joins a circus owned by Tibbles.
Adventures of the Elements-Already there
The First Day-Luz starts her first day at school with Amity, and finds clues of the past
Really Small Problems-Luz and King shrink to the size of mice from a spell gone awry
Understanding Willow-Luz finds out more about Willow and her homelife.

Zanneck

My mistake on the first letter message: A Witch Loses at ru... Know six-letter words starting with RU-

Anyway here is what I think each episode will be about

Sense and Insensitivity- Luz and Eda hurt King's feelings, and he joins a circus owned by Tibbles.

Adventures of the Elements-Already there

The First Day-Luz starts her first day at school with Amity, and finds clues of the past

Really Small Problems-Luz and King shrink to the size of mice from a spell gone awry

Understanding Willow-Luz finds out more about Willow and her homelife.

Gotta be honest..... I'm looking forward to BCG and Amphibia bringing me some legit laughs here and there. I'm definitely looking forward to more world-building and character development from our main focuses in Amphibia, that much is for sure.

As for The Owl House..... As much as I do want to love this show, I don’t trust the writers too much when I hear synopses like those. Out of all of those, the only interesting ones are the one that already sneak previewed (Adventures in The Elements), The First Day (these 2 especially, since Amity is BEST character, IMHO.), and in some ways, Understanding Willow (only because I want Willow to become a less weak character in my eyes, of course.).

I think I know what I'm looking forward to more, thinking harder about it, honestly. That is, unless these writers can really wow me in a way that I don't feel this show has just yet.
Point still stands - I still like it far more than Star Vs.; I want to be able to truly love it, however. We're not there, yet.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts