The Owl House News And Discussion Thread

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
"Hooty's Moving Hassle:" First off, I love this episode's title. A clever pun based off a great film. Anyway, I thought the episode was solid overall. It's nice to see more of Gus and Willow. The show really wants to make Willow look like the bad guy, huh? It looks like she has some jealousy problems that she needs to work out. I still don't like Amity all that much. I know she's technically innocent, but she is WAY too mean for me to want to root for her.

Eda's obsession with Hexas Holdum totally makes sense for someone with her personality. It seems like a fun game and I hope we get to see more of it within the series.

I liked the pig character and definitely wouldn't mind seeing him make another appearance down the road. His fascination with King and baby clothes was pretty funny, although I do think that the show puts too much emphasis on the "King is so cute awwww" shtick. The baby holder gag earlier in the episode didn't do it for me. I didn't realize that Eda's curse took away her magic. I have a feeling THAT will come into play at the wrong time later on.

I chuckled at the sarcastic, "They're just children, Tom!"

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Regarding this latest episode (S01E06 - Hooty's Moving Hassle), again.....

I only now just noticed that Amity wasn't the one leaving those nasty social media comments about Luz and/or Willow. Excuse me for NOT noticing it sooner. Amity's not off the hook yet with me, but that's a sign she knows better than to stoop to such a foul level, especially with two people she could be ACTUAL friends/friendlier rivals with sooner or preferably later (Luz & Willow, obviously.), or if it means patching things up with Willow proper, anyway.

Amity needs better friends..... And to stay off social media with all that foul gossip - it does nothing to make me warm up to her as a character going forward from here, which is an honest-to-God FACT.

Korra_Fan

I know she's technically innocent, but she is WAY too mean for me to want to root for her.

To each their own, but I personally call shenanigans.

If Amity was a mean girl in general, I would understand. But skimming over the three episodes that she's been in so far, she has literally been mean to just TWO characters: Luz and Willow. With Luz, I think I've already gone over why I feel Amity was under no obligation to be nice to her given the callous way Luz intruded upon her life (unintentionally callous on Luz's part, yes, but Amity doesn't know that). And once Luz actually owned up to everything instead of acting like an entitled poser from a YA novel, Amity did do something nice for her and allowed her to continue learning magic.

And that leaves Willow, and while I would share your perspective if just going by their first interaction, the fact that they used to be friends and had a falling out throws everything into uncertainty. Writing 101 dictates that when two friends break up and you only get an account from one of them that makes them look good and the other look bad, then there is an account from the other that does the exact opposite, because in reality both of them screwed up in some way. It's literally the same case with Eda and her sister. Sometimes we're lucky enough to get the full truth up front and can appreciate both points of view (see Stan and Ford on Gravity Falls), but otherwise if you get a one-sided perspective on such an event then chances are you are walking into a trap of believing it whole-heartedly before the writers pull the rug from under you with some new information.

This seems to be Amity's whole trajectory as a character. Luz is the protagonist and Willow is the protagonist's new best friend, and because we are watching from their POV then Amity SEEMS like just "the mean girl antagonist" because they are the ones she's mean to. But once Amity starts coming out of her shell more and opening up to them, both they and we are going to learn more of where Amity was coming from which, even if not agreeable, is at least understandable and offers both her and Luz + Willow a path forward to changing their relationship for the better. Note that when the character was revealed by the creator, she was described as someone who "tries to be prickly, but is a softy at heart". We're seeing more of the prickly part now, so that the softy part becomes more effective.

But honestly, being nice or mean has never been why I root for a character or want to see them: being interesting is. And I suspect I'm not alone on that. Avatar: The Last Airbender recently turned 15 years old, and people rooted for Prince Zuko even when he was going around burning down villages and acting violently angry toward everyone he interacted with. People rooted for him even after he pulled the worst betrayal possible in the Season 2 finale. People rooted for him the whole way through even though he literally only became "nice" for the last 10 episodes of the series. And that's because he was an interesting character who was enjoyable to watch develop. Being "nice" has nothing to do with it.

(Also, on a personal level I have a much higher tolerance toward characters - especially young characters - who are mean because they want to boost themselves up, like Amity, as opposed to those who are mean simply because they want to tear others down, like her friends. Yes, there is frequently some overlap, as people like Amity end up tearing others down in the process of boosting themselves up. But the intention behind the act isn't sadism or malice, it's a flawed self-defense instinct from an insecure child who has been raised poorly, one that the child can be taught to overcome if given a healthier environment. Basically, once Amity finally learns to tell her parents and friends to screw off and start hanging with Luz and Willow more, she'll get less and less mean. But we have to understand that this will take some time, especially in regards to her parents, because she is just a kid.)

Last edited:

Corwin Haught

To each their own, but I personally call shenanigans.

If Amity was a mean girl in general, I would understand. But skimming over the three episodes that she's been in so far, she has literally been mean to just TWO characters: Luz and Willow. With Luz, I think I've already gone over why I feel Amity was under no obligation to be nice to her given the callous way Luz intruded upon her life (unintentionally callous on Luz's part, yes, but Amity doesn't know that). And once Luz actually owned up to everything instead of acting like an entitled poser from a YA novel, Amity did do something nice for her and allowed her to continue learning magic.

And that leaves Willow, and while I would share your perspective if just going by their first interaction, the fact that they used to be friends and had a falling out throws everything into uncertainty. Writing 101 dictates that when two friends break up and you only get an account from one of them that makes them look good and the other look bad, then there is an account from the other that does the exact opposite, because in reality both of them screwed up in some way. It's literally the same case with Eda and her sister. Sometimes we're lucky enough to get the full truth up front and can appreciate both points of view (see Stan and Ford on Gravity Falls), but otherwise if you get a one-sided perspective on such an event then chances are you are walking into a trap of believing it whole-heartedly before the writers pull the rug from under you with some new information.

This seems to be Amity's whole trajectory as a character. Luz is the protagonist and Willow is the protagonist's new best friend, and because we are watching from their POV then Amity SEEMS like just "the mean girl antagonist" because they are the ones she's mean to. But once Amity starts coming out of her shell more and opening up to them, both they and we are going to learn more of where Amity was coming from which, even if not agreeable, is at least understandable and offers both her and Luz + Willow a path forward to changing their relationship for the better. Note that when the character was revealed by the creator, she was described as someone who "tries to be prickly, but is a softy at heart". We're seeing more of the prickly part now, so that the softy part becomes more effective.

But honestly, being nice or mean has never been why I root for a character or want to see them: being interesting is. And I suspect I'm not alone on that. Avatar: The Last Airbender recently turned 15 years old, and people rooted for Prince Zuko even when he was going around burning down villages and acting violently angry toward everyone he interacted with. People rooted for him even after he pulled the worst betrayal possible in the Season 2 finale. People rooted for him the whole way through even though he literally only became "nice" for the last 10 episodes of the series. And that's because he was an interesting character who was enjoyable to watch develop. Being "nice" has nothing to do with it.

(Also, on a personal level I have a much higher tolerance toward characters - especially young characters - who are mean because they want to boost themselves up, like Amity, as opposed to those who are mean simply because they want to tear others down, like her friends. Yes, there is frequently some overlap, as people like Amity end up tearing others down in the process of boosting themselves up. But the intention behind the act isn't sadism or malice, it's a flawed self-defense instinct from an insecure child who has been raised poorly, one that the child can be taught to overcome if given a healthier environment. Basically, once Amity finally learns to tell her parents and friends to screw off and start hanging with Luz and Willow more, she'll get less and less mean. But we have to understand that this will take some time, especially in regards to her parents, because she is just a kid.)

Today's episode is already up on demand, and it seems to confirm what you've been saying. (Would I have to use spoiler tags in order to fully discuss on demand episodes that premiere the following morning?)

VG_Addict

Anyone feel like Amity was shown to be nice too soon? In only her 2nd appearance, she's shown to have a nice side. I feel like Covention should have aired later in the season.

SweetShop209

I think it works. Depending on how many appearances she makes this season, it could potentially have her going from an aloof ally to a genuine ally. It also makes her a more potentially Interesting character right off the bat (compare that to Pacifica, where she was only really well liked starting in season 2). There is also the possibility of episodes airing out of order.

zoombie

Lost In Language

Well it seems every episode of late, we are putting together the puzzle that is Amity. We learn about her teacher, we learn about her friends, and now learn about her family, though I still feel the biggest piece of the puzzle are her parents, and than we will know what makes her tick.

Amity being nice to children, I don't think that is out of character, I seen no evidence that she should be mean to children or kick puppies. So that is fine.

Her siblings were jerks, but not as big of a jerks as I thought they could be. They are no where near as mean as Bonnie from Kim Possible's sisters. And they left on reasonable good terms with Luz, that really surprised me, so in a future episode I could see them be a ally to Luz, and Luz might have a crush on the sister.

This episode the most reasonable we has seen Amity willing to co exist with Luz. We don't have any clue on the falling out with Willow backstory, this would have been a good chance to get Amity side of the story, but oh well.

This was a good episode, and Luz is totally shipping Azora with her rival

Last edited:

Korra_Fan

So, everything I have been saying about Amity just got vindicated. I am pleased about this.

Her siblings were jerks, but not as of a jerks as I thought they could be. They are no where near as mean Bonnie from Kim Possible's sisters

See, I actually thought that made them creepier than if they had been bigger jerks. The "likable" qualities they displayed when paired with the bad things they did without remorse really makes it come off as the kind of "glib, superficial charm" that sociopaths have. And while I'm not saying they necessarily are sociopaths, they definitely have a lack of basic empathy for other people, which is what makes them different from Luz and even Amity.

Why are Amity's siblings a bit mean? She doesn't deserve it.

They explained why - they hate her attitude because she also uses it against them in attempts to make them actually live responsibly, and they don't want to live responsibly, they are your typical rich spoiled brats who that think the world is their playground and that they should be allowed to do whatever they want, no matter how much trouble it causes or how much it might hurt people. They are mean to Amity because Amity has standards, and they don't.

The whole point was that they and Luz were both sick of Amity's attitude and bonded over that up until Luz realized that the reason they were sick of it and the way they responded to it (planning to inflict public humiliation upon Amity) were completely incompatible with her.

Anyone feel like Amity was shown to be nice too soon? In only her 2nd appearance, she's shown to have a nice side. I feel like Covention should have aired later in the season.

No, I don't think it's too soon at all, because once again I must stress that the whole point of her character appears to be upending all of the expectations and opinions that the viewers form about her due to being initially framed in the protagonists' POV. If you dragged things out with her 'mean' attitude, then she'd run out of excuses for it and she would really be the mean girl you're only supposed to think that she is.

The way they actually did it is exactly the way it's meant to be: for you to realize at the same time Luz does that you had Amity pegged all wrong, that you saw her as the typical mean girl antagonist because Luz is the main character of the show whose life we follow and Amity's antagonism was directed toward Luz. But the truth is had Amity been the main character whose life you followed then she would end up looking like the hero and Luz would be framed as the antagonist. They are not as different as they were at first glance: they are both flawed kids who need to learn life lessons in order to better themselves, and it's clear now that they're going to be helping each other out with that a lot in the future.

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

Amity reminds me of Kendall Perkins from Kick Buttowski. Both are teacher's pets that are top of the class, both like obeying the rules, and both have older siblings who they don't get along with(though Amity has two).

Lost in Language: I'm betting Amity's siblings are twins hence why they look so much alike and have the same interest in causing mischief. They seem like younger versions of Eda with breaking rules and picking fights with their siblings, Eda and her sister shows signs of caring for each other unlike Amity's.
Considering how Amity heard their plans, I'm surprised that she didn't get to the library a lot sooner.
I loved the secondary plot with Eda. With her knowing what to do, I was expecting a little backstory of her involving children, like Washu had in Tenchi Universe. That whistle will obviously lead to a plot where it will be needed and possibly everyone not wanting to hear Hooty's stories.

(compare that to Pacifica, where she was only really well liked starting in season 2)
Pacifica was apparently well-liked in the first season two since Alex Hirsch brought it up was surprised about it.

This episode the most reasonable we has seen Amity willing to co exist with Luz. We don't have any clue on the falling out with Willow backstory, this would have been a good chance to get Amity side of the story, but oh well.
No, I think we would get Amity's side of the story once she gets more on friendly terms with Luz. Plus I think Willow would be involved with the episode as well.

JTZ

Watched a couple of episodes.

Pretty solid series so far. It's got some good humor, decent characters, and while I'm not a fan of the horroresque designs, the world, artstyle and animation are visually interesting. Despite the parodic elements, it also manages to convey a feeling of a mysterious world and the wonder Luz is feeling, especially in the outro.

Sometimes, they hammer down too much on the morale of the episodes and the parodic elements, especially with these Azura books. Also, the way the story is developping seems a bit odd, with a handful of plotpoints being thrown in randomly (like Willow mentioning she used to be friends with Amity). Since I don't really expect much from the larger plot though, I'll just enjoy the episodes one at a time without worrying about the larger context.

Korra_Fan

I liked the "Called the teacher 'Mom' again" part. Shows that Amity can be just as awkward as Luz.

Yeah, I like how "Covention" set up the possibility that Amity used to be like Luz, but isn't anymore due to being hardened by the work she's had to undergo...then this episode shows nope, she actually still IS like Luz and just desperately attempts to hide it in order to save face. It gives a stronger reason for why she and Luz would end up bonding: Luz can help Amity stop being ashamed of that side of herself while Amity can help Luz take things a little more seriously.

zoombie

As bad as Amity's siblings were, I thought of another example of worse. Noelle Silva's siblings from Black Clover. Noelle would gladly trade her youngest older siblings for Amity's loving and caring siblings.

Speaking for noble families, I still think the parents are the biggest piece of the puzzle of why Amity is the way she is. Taking nothing from Basha and those other mean girls she hangs with, or the siblings whose names I still have to learn. I think the parents are the biggest key.

I am not trying of excuse them, or give them a pass, still need to meet the parents before I can fully judge not just Amity but also siblings. For all we know, they come from one of those noble families that have parents that pit their children against each other for status.

Last edited:

StellaMagic

As bad as Amity's siblings were, I thought of another example of worse. Noelle Silva's siblings from Black Clover. Noelle would gladly trade her youngest older siblings for Amity's loving and caring siblings.

Speaking for noble families, I still think the parents are the biggest piece of the puzzle of why Amity is the way she is. Taking nothing from Basha and those other mean girls she hangs with, or the siblings whose names I still have to learn. I think the parents are the biggest key.

I am not trying of excuse them, or give them a pass, still need to meet the parents before I can fully judge not just Amity but also siblings. For all we know, they come from one of those noble families that have parents that pit their children against each other for status.

I agree with you about her parents. They probably give her the same treatment Ludo got from his parents.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Amity may just be... This show's best character so far. Eda and King come in second (simply because their antics together ACTUALLY ARE FUNNY most of the time.), but they can do better - by, I don't know... Teaching Luz some magic, already, TBH with everyone here.

Kinda sad, though - I was hoping Luz would be the best reason to tune in, but Amity has just got more going for her in terms of characters, when it comes to making this show truly stand out.
Again, maybe if a little more focus was put on Luz learning some magic to make herself more capable, or at least useful, as unfortunate as it is for me to put it that way.

Back on target, however: I, for one, am glad she (Amity) is SO NOT just another rich bully character. She really is like S2 Pacifica (GF), except done better, due to seeing her positive much, much earlier. It certainly helps a lot more than one might think.

This show is winning me well enough, despite some issues here & there, honestly.

Korra_Fan

I forgot to mention - I love the usage of Amity's siblings and how it connects back to what I said about things being framed a certain way not being fully reflective of reality. Just like how Amity was framed as the mean girl for antagonizing Luz, her siblings are framed as cool, good people because they are nice to Luz, they defend her from Amity, they embrace her weirdness and her being a human and pull a lot of goofy pranks alongside her.

Then the mid-point happens where they plan to spread Amity's personal diary pages all over town to humiliate her. And that's when the framing suddenly shatters for both Luz and the audience, because how can something like that be justified? No matter what Amity might have said or done in the past, it can not be warranting such a cruel thing done to her in response, and no matter how kindly they may have treated Luz, these two can't actually be cool, good people if they are willing to stoop that low and show not a shred of remorse about it. It's a refreshing takedown of "Protagonist Centered Morality" where characters are deemed as good or bad solely based on their dynamic with the protagonist without regard to anything else. Amity was mean to Luz, but she's not a bad person. Her siblings were nice to Luz, but they're not good people.

Amity may just be... This show's best character so far. Eda and King come in second (simply because their antics together ACTUALLY ARE FUNNY most of the time.)

Yeah, I love how every "Luz and her peers" episode seems to come along with some kind of wacky Eda and King B-plot. If done poorly, they'd be intrusive fillers, but because these two characters and their voice actors work so hilariously well off each other they are always welcome.

Last edited:

glennbyrnes

Why are Amity's siblings a bit mean? She dosen't deserve it. Also, if Hooty told his story, he would just say "I stared at a tree for 12 hours.

Sent from my SM-G5510 using Tapatalk
Like Pacifica Northwest, Prince Zuko, and Moe Sislack, Amity is a sweetheart compared to her evil family.

doomrider7

That One Guy
Amity may just be... This show's best character so far. Eda and King come in second (simply because their antics together ACTUALLY ARE FUNNY most of the time.), but they can do better - by, I don't know... Teaching Luz some magic, already, TBH with everyone here.

Kinda sad, though - I was hoping Luz would be the best reason to tune in, but Amity has just got more going for her in terms of characters, when it comes to making this show truly stand out.
Again, maybe if a little more focus was put on Luz learning some magic to make herself more capable, or at least useful, as unfortunate as it is for me to put it that way.

Back on target, however: I, for one, am glad she (Amity) is SO NOT just another rich bully character. She really is like S2 Pacifica (GF), except done better, due to seeing her positive much, much earlier. It certainly helps a lot more than one might think.

This show is winning me well enough, despite some issues here & there, honestly.

A better parallel for Amity is Diana whom she greatly resembles in hair color and general life. Also @ShadowBeast, I agree about the parallels between Eda and a sort of combination of Ryoko and Washu(the version of Tenchi you're thinking is the main Canon one which is Tenchi Muyo/Tenchi Muyo Ryo-ohki).

Dudley

Staff member

I agree. I’m used to the rival archetype being antagonistic at least until near the end of season 2. I mean, it’s good to break norms and all, but it’s been played straight for so long, any break from it feels surreal.
Anyway, with the whole witch theme school, Amity heavily reminds me of Diana Cavendish from Little Witch Academia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts