The Owl House News And Discussion Thread

JTZ

I'm all in for magic schools, but Luz going to Hexside does feel weird in the context of the story so far, especially since we've never actually seen Eda teach Luz - I hope we'll get a proper explanation why she is so reluctant on giving Luz lessons except for "I'm busy, lazy and hunted". I do like though the mentality of having Luz come to her own conclusions instead of just adopting Eda's beliefs. Also, since they said she'll be enrolled next semester it might be she won't go to school until some later point in the show, possibly season 2.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Ugh, why are they going to have Luz go to high school? Why can’t she just learn magic from Eda? I bet this is the network’s doing, wanting to make the situations “relatable” for the young viewers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly... This is going to restrict world-building immensely, unless they can pull a Harry Potter level of writing quality with this setting change (and even Harry Potter had world-building issues, once you ran out of school to explore and talk about.).

I mean, honestly (as absolutely NO fun as it is to harp on this at all...) - the Boiling Isles is this actually huge and unique setting and restricting things to just a more demonic looking Hogwarts doesn't seem as promising, compared to exploring the rest of these islands accordingly.

It really doesn't when compared to something like Amphibia (to stay within producing regime boundaries, anyway.) IMHO, it shows there is some unfortunate meddling going on here from people should have kept their hands to themselves in this case...

Last edited:

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
"Something Ventured Something Framed:" Was not expecting a Gus episode, but having him as the main character certainly wasn't a bad choice. I kind of liked the new kid character - hope we see him back in some capacity. So Luz is now officially enrolled in Hexside; I saw that coming from a mile away. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one way, the school might be a fun setting for the next batch of episodes, but it could restrict the exploration of the rest of the Isles, like some other users on here have suggested. I have faith that the writers will be able to come up with a satisfying solution.

Not really digging red-headed younger Eda. Her silver locks suit her better, imo.

Hooty never fails to make me chuckle.

Zanneck

I'm really hoping what's happening here with the conflict escalating (or beginning in this case.) isn't all Luz's fault because she decided to do something dumb again (we really gotta stop doing that to her, as it makes her character look pretty weaksauce, overall.)... Otherwise, Amity really is best character after all - with Luz being no better than Willow, IMHO. That's all I gotta say on that matter from here.

Rhaynebow

I was excited when the show decided to have Luz banned from Hexside. A lot of superhero shows shot themselves in the foot by putting extraordinary characters into ordinary school settings. And I thought TOH made a good call by avoiding the easy route of Magic School.

But then they said “Eh, Eda doesn’t like to teach, put Luz in school” and now the show runs the risk of generic school shenanigans with only horror/fantasy puns making it SOOO different. Lemme guess, the Flour Sack Baby episode is a grotesque baby monster that eats fear and Luz and Amity gotta work together? The school dance is coming up and Luz wants to have a “Human theme”? Does their version of high school athletics involve kids facing deadly monsters for fun and Luz has to play ONE of them for an episode? Don’t forget the inevitable Field Trip episode where something shocking happens.

Seeing how Gus and Willow have been seen outside of school, it gives me hope that Hexside is just a small piece of the Boiling Isles and we’ll have more adventures than “high school hijinx but with pointy ears”

Zanneck

I was excited when the show decided to have Luz banned from Hexside. A lot of superhero shows shot themselves in the foot by putting extraordinary characters into ordinary school settings. And I thought TOH made a good call by avoiding the easy route of Magic School.

But then they said “Eh, Eda doesn’t like to teach, put Luz in school” and now the show runs the risk of generic school shenanigans with only horror/fantasy puns making it SOOO different. Lemme guess, the Flour Sack Baby episode is a grotesque baby monster that eats fear and Luz and Amity gotta work together? The school dance is coming up and Luz wants to have a “Human theme”? Does their version of high school athletics involve kids facing deadly monsters for fun and Luz has to play ONE of them for an episode? Don’t forget the inevitable Field Trip episode where something shocking happens.

Seeing how Gus and Willow have been seen outside of school, it gives me hope that Hexside is just a small piece of the Boiling Isles and we’ll have more adventures than “high school hijinx but with pointy ears”

Thank you for being so accurate on what I don't want to see this show do, as it will fall apart on itself if it does. Nicely said.

That's what I've been saying this whole time, myself - but I admire your take on it for going into specifics of why this will hurt the show, especially if not done well enough, besides taking away from the actual worldbuilidng and interesting setting the Boiling Isles is more than blessed with and what that focus should be on exploring.

We so should not be getting stuck in just another school setting that's nothing more than Dark-and-Demonic Hogwarts with little to do that's truly interesting, which would get stale real fast, unless there's a real interesting conflict there that forces more exploration outside of it, like Harry Potter did eventually do for example, thankfully.

The Owl House not only needs to learn from that example, but also rise above it, to be something truly memorable for the right reasons (not the ones coming outta dark and demonic places like 4chan.), going forward. Here's hoping so.

Rhaynebow

I didn't see Owl House yet, but is Luz going to school really that bad? I mean they could pull it well.

While school settings make it easier to come up with stories, there’s a reason why in Harry Potter, the bits about being late for class, and the short scenes of actual learning are more B and C scenes. It’s cool because it’s magic, but tear that away and it’s still the same old school hijinx that real life kids deal with and it can be a huge buzzkill to be introduced to a fantasy world and then throw the characters in school to deal with real life school problems to make them “relatable”.

TOH already surprised me by having Luz CHOOSE to stay in the Boiling Isles because it was advertised as her being trapped (although I’m positive she’ll end up stuck at some point). And for a kid who was a misfit in human school and didn’t like the idea of conformity camp, Luz should have been at least a LITTLE apprehensive about going to magic school where the students have to wear uniforms and adhere to guidelines.

It’s not a bad thing to put Luz in school, but it can go south very quickly because people enjoy fantasies to get AWAY from the mundane.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'm pretty sure that even with Luz at Hexside, it won't be the focus of every episode. Even with school episodes, there'll probably a good chunk where it's just shown at the beginning and end.

doomrider7

That One Guy
While school settings make it easier to come up with stories, there’s a reason why in Harry Potter, the bits about being late for class, and the short scenes of actual learning are more B and C scenes. It’s cool because it’s magic, but tear that away and it’s still the same old school hijinx that real life kids deal with and it can be a huge buzzkill to be introduced to a fantasy world and then throw the characters in school to deal with real life school problems to make them “relatable”.

TOH already surprised me by having Luz CHOOSE to stay in the Boiling Isles because it was advertised as her being trapped (although I’m positive she’ll end up stuck at some point). And for a kid who was a misfit in human school and didn’t like the idea of conformity camp, Luz shouldn have been at least a LITTLE apprehensive about going to magic school where the students have to wear uniforms and adhere to guidelines.

It’s not a bad thing to put Luz in school, but it can go south very quickly because people enjoy fantasies to get AWAY from the mundane.

Better job explaining it than I ever could. Part of it is that it's incredibly well trotted ground to the point that there's just not much more new material you can do that people haven't seen already at this point.

doomrider7

That One Guy
Episode was pretty good.

Interesting that the Bat Queen used to be a palisman and that she provides refuge to other lost and castaway talismans. I'm curious if her previous owner is the giant of the Isles along with why there seem to be so many stray palismans. Also, the potion losing it's effect is a bad sign.

zoombie

Escape of the Palisman

This was a episode, not sure if this is best episode to have the season finale, but still okay. I guess the Eda's curse getting is the mid season finale hook.

So we learn more about the Bat Queen, this whole backstory of taking care of abandon talisman is interesting. This is like something out of Pokemon.

So just like last week's episode, Luz is innocent of breaking any rules because she was tricked in this case by King, Luz being gullible is that her gimmick?

Well this episode did leave me wanting more.

Zanneck

So, after these 10 episodes I've sat through... I must admit that Amphibia is better (IMHO, and only that, of course.), but I'm still much more engaged by what's going on here than Star Vs. ever did for me, honestly.

I think my only real complaints are that Willow and Gus could use much more development, going forward - I mean, if Amity could get it that good, what's the excuse for these two (especially Willow), not being as good? Let's definitely work on that.

Also, Eda, King, and Luz could use more episodes together - these are whom this show is really meant to be about, after all - if only show this doesn't just turn into another high school show - because if Amphibia could avoid that and turn out great, there ain't no excuse for this show to do better - especially since it looks better, when comparing the two.

I'm just hoping this Dark & Demonic Hogwarts isn't just confining this show into being another school daze like Fish Hooks, is all I'm asking - the Boiling Isles and the stories they could tell by themselves with Luz, Eda, and King... The possibilities should be much more endless than that. Here's hoping these writers do understand that much, going forward, as well.

Whatever comes next is gonna be what really makes or breaks this show, is all I know - I'm actually looking for Luz to learn some magic, Eda to overcome that curse, for Amity to continue to hold onto her fast and strong development, and for Willow and Gus to become better characters than this, more than anything - that, and not spending too much time in the school setting and not truly doing anything interesting with it like Harry Potter actually did as it went along, thank you very much.

Rhaynebow

Hm. Decent episode, but they’re really banking on King getting away with being an awful dude because “D’aww he’s so cute”. He’s not a baby demon, he’s just small and powerless. But he’s clearly manipulative and nobody seems interested in acknowledging this guy’s threats that aren’t always empty. Yeah Luz, ask for hugs and kisses from the guy plotting fiery revenge on a preschooler because you’re Boo Boo Buddies~ I kinda wish King didn’t speak because the trope of Cute Thing says Disturbing Thing is getting overplayed with King.

Anyway, I wish we had seen more Owlbert prior to this episode. I think we got more development from Hooty and Amity’s siblings than we did with Owlbert. I wouldn’t be surprised if some people forgot his name or that he was alive, he’s always been stuck on the staff. And for as much as Eda SAYS he’s special to her, he sure did bail on that relationship pretty fast because her naive apprentice couldn’t control him for 15 seconds. You’d think the first person he’d run to would be Eda. I feel like if they didn’t have to shoehorn in Gus, Willow and the school sport plot that went absolutely nowhere, we might have had more time to see Owlbert THINK about Eda or something before getting captured, giving Luz a reason to save him and the Bat witch thing to capture him, believing she knows what’s best for him.

Overall, a decent episode but...I dunno. This show came in with HIGH expectations with its premise and connections to a beloved show, but I can’t say my expectations are being met much. All I’ve gotten was horror puns, eyeballs thrown all over the place, and 3 characters that behave more like roommates than teacher, student and pet. Even Eda’s curse feels bland, like it’s something that needs to be there to have SOME kind of lore. But alas, we’re only halfway into Season 1, there’s still time for me to enjoy this ride! At least the Boiling Isles itself is cool to see!

JTZ

I'm just hoping this Dark & Demonic Hogwarts isn't just confining this show into being another school daze like Fish Hooks, is all I'm asking

You know, Lutz going to school could be a setup for a storyline about her insecurities of not belonging tempting her to join a coven, creating rising tension and distance between her and Eda which eventually cumulates in a climax that tests their bond as teacher and student and eventually reveals how truly suppressing and confining the coven system really is as the emperor's way of restricting magic and ensuring his surpreme reign.

Either that, or there'll be an episode about Luz wanting to become a magic cheerleader.

StellaMagic

Episode was pretty good.

Interesting that the Bat Queen used to be a palisman and that she provides refuge to other lost and castaway talismans. I'm curious if her previous owner is the giant of the Isles along with why there seem to be so many stray palismans. Also, the potion losing it's effect is a bad sign.

I am wondering if what happened to the Giant may have been something that turned him into the Boiling Isles. As for Eda, I think if she's going to look for stronger medicine, she and Luz will have to turn to Camilla. I think that fox pox book the Bat Queen gave to her kids stmbolizes that and how dead Luz will be.

Zanneck

You know, Lutz going to school could be a setup for a storyline about her insecurities of not belonging tempting her to join a coven, creating rising tension and distance between her and Eda which eventually cumulates in a climax that tests their bond as teacher and student and eventually reveals how truly suppressing and confining the coven system really is as the emperor's way of restricting magic and ensuring his surpreme reign.

Either that, or there'll be an episode about Luz wanting to become a magic cheerleader.

Not a bad idea, but the real question is if the writers can do something on that level or better, that is. That way we're not doing their job for them, good as your idea actually sounds... And actually is, too. You'd still be in a less than stellar school setting, but at least you're being actually creative with it here.

So, does anyone agree with this? One of the few constructive criticisms I've seen on this show, so far - mostly only because I wanted to see what other people thought of this show outside of here, of course - and to continue to generate some balanced discussion (something I should have done more with Amphibia myself, for another thing. Excuse me for that.).

Eda is the best character, and Amity is refreshing in just getting character development so early instead of being a paper thin rival stock character forever.

Luz is kind of meh so far. She needs a better hook and internal motivation to not just be a generic protagonist, normal human in magic dimension. Same with King being a generic sidekick stock character. It'd be more interesting if King really was a murderous and evil demon lord trapped as a dog and dangerous, not just a cute and quirky delusion. The other Hogwarts kids also need to be fleshed out more.

The biggest problem is the plot. Lilith stuff aside, there is nothing gripping to follow just yet. Hope it picks up.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with some of this, especially since Luz is our MC and needs all the strong development she can get, going forward. Something that Eda and Amity unfortunately surpass her in. Not a good look for Luz, the character we're meant to follow and want to be able to willungly follow, most importantly.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Overall, a decent episode but...I dunno. This show came in with HIGH expectations with its premise and connections to a beloved show, but I can’t say my expectations are being met much. All I’ve gotten was horror puns, eyeballs thrown all over the place, and 3 characters that behave more like roommates than teacher, student and pet. Even Eda’s curse feels bland, like it’s something that needs to be there to have SOME kind of lore. But alas, we’re only halfway into Season 1, there’s still time for me to enjoy this ride! At least the Boiling Isles itself is cool to see!
Honestly, I'm having similar feelings. The first episode was very strong, in my opinion, but since then, the show has slowly been tumbling downhill. Each episode is beginning to feel blander and blander, specifically with the lore and humor. Eda's curse is the main reason why I'm still watching. I sure hope they do something interesting with it and don't mess up a golden opportunity for a cool story. I'm sticking with the show for now, but I won't be extremely disappointed if it begins to really suck once it comes back from hiatus.

"Escape of the Palisman:" Ehh...this episode felt "alright" to me. Kind of a lackluster midseason finale in my eyes. I usually like King and Eda B-plots, but this one was more King-driven since Eda didn't speak as the monster. King wanting to control the playground and defeat the snotty toddler was...slightly amusing, I suppose? That's about all I have to say about the B-plot.

The A-plot really didn't get interesting until the third act. Luz dressing up as a cheerleader and getting into "Hexside pride" echoed a fear that many users on this thread have expressed: the show turning into yet another "high school drama" cartoon. Luckily, the school game was pushed to the sidelines, but I can't say that the trials at the Bat Queen's cave were super funny or entertaining. Speaking of the character, I was a little surprised to see how "villainous" she was here. As far as I remember, she was pretty friendly during her last appearance. Also, does she seriously not recognize Luz at all? I mean, she did greet her at the door and returned her babies to her! You'd think that she'd assume that Luz had good intentions when trying to save Owlbert. I'm glad that her motives were explained at the end, but the episode was somewhat confusing until the reveal. I didn't realize that the Bat Queen would become a significant character, and I wonder how the talisman protection thing will come into play later.

So the elixir no longer works on Eda. Oh no! Roll credits!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts