The Owl House News And Discussion Thread

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I just saw a commercial saying that Disney XD will start airing the show on March 23 for a full hour every day. That means they'll burn through the 10 announced episodes (those that aired and those that will air this month) in 1 week.

ShadowBeast

I just saw a commercial saying that Disney XD will start airing the show on March 23 for a full hour every day. That means they'll burn through the 10 announced episodes (those that aired and those that will air this month) in 1 week.
I don't think they'll be burning off the new episodes in one week. They'll probably repeat the already aired episodes and add the new episodes as they premiere. Disney XD has been repeating the Big City Greens' episode of Cricket's Kapowie/Car Trouble for the last few days, so I can see them repeating the same episodes of The Owl House one week.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence

Disney put out a tweet showing the episode titles for the first batch of episodes airing from January to March . It looks like Friday will be the show's regular premiere date . It also looks like the episodes are a full 30 minutes instead of 2 segments in 1 episode.
Someone pointed this out on Reddit recently and I'm honestly baffled how all of us missed this.

LOOK AT THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH EPISODE!

One of the most important clues is right under our noses this whole time.

Last edited:

JTZ

"A witch loses her heart" or something like that, I presume.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
One episode left, then it's GAME OVER for awhile with these witches and witches-to-be-or-not... Amphibia is still a better show so far IMHO, unfortunately, even if this show is not that bad as some people will fool you into thinking elsewhere, as it is. As for what I think of focusing on someone I take or leave like Gus... Yeah.

I'll say that my unfortunately take-or-leave style of negative opinions on Gus as a character has softened a little more after this week's effort. Now we just need to do something about Willow and Eda not being able to teach Luz magic proper...

I BELIEVE that maybe being in that school is the best solution for Luz, since Eda ain't capable of the magic teaching thing, so far. Too bad that also means we might be stuck in that school setting for awhile - I don't like school settings, do this unfortunately upsets me more than it honestly should, too.

Here's hoping they go in more interesting / actual character-developing directions with Luz and Willow (especially), because God knows these writers need to. Amity is fine, I can still take or leave Gus, knowing he's fine enough now, too. Eda and King - still the best dynamic this show actually has that doesn't involve getting Luz and Amity to be friends, IMHO.

Imperial Rig Shokew, out.

zoombie

Something Ventured Someone Framed

So the issue of Luz home schooling is addressed. Ida doesn't have the time to teach Luz full time, so enrolling Luz at school makes sense. But the main issue, is a chance to interact with other people her own age, and you know make friends.

I thought at first for sure the principal for an agent for the Emperor Cultrin, I thought they would be some reveal there, but he seems legit. Though I am still worried he might try to dissect Luz someday. I am watching you principal.

As for Gus, the spotlight episode for him, you know I think I understand him a little better, he does have a chip on his soldier, I guess he skipped a grade, so I guess he is gifted. Also interesting that Amity's siblings are his classmates.

I wonder where we go next now that Luz is enrolled, I can't wait to get Amity's reaction to this.

Last edited:

doomrider7

That One Guy
This has always been a gripe of mine with body-swapping episodes, but I think the reason why they're traditionally done this way is to make things less confusing. Not that kids are stupid or anything, but imagine tuning halfway into a body-swapping episode where the voices stayed the same. If you didn't know that the episode involved body-swapping, you'd be wildly confused at first watch.

What I really didn't like about the way The Owl House did their mind-trading episode was the choice to switch the eyes on the characters. That doesn't make a lick of sense plus it looks very off design-wise. There's a reason why Luz's eyes and nose are drawn the way they are: they look good on her character design.

And I completely agree about Lillith. It's weird that she wasn't suspicious of the voice change at all, but I guess that would've ruined the plot.

"Once Upon A Swap:" The weakest episode of this series so far, in my opinion. About the only things I laughed at were a few remarks at the beginning and the Hooty scenes ("We could talk for hours, and hours, AnD hOuRs...). None of the three stories interested me. All three were equally bland. The cat cafe thing could've had potential but the women were too weird. I feel like if they had turned out to be scary monsters or demons, it could've been kind of interesting. But no, the one just had a weird obsession with cute creatures and keeping teenagers out of her store and the other one...I don't know what her deal was. She was more monster-like but not really a monster? King's plot was just embarrassingly forgettable (aside from a few slightly amusing gags during the song montage). And Luz's...was okay, I suppose. I still don't get why she decided to expose Eda when Eda clearly told her that she was hiding from the law. I know that Luz thought that Eda was being paranoid, but come on, that was still a really dumb thing for her to do.

One good thing I can say about this episode is that Lillith returned. I think she's going to be an intriguing character down the road and I can't wait to find out what the writers have in store for her.

"Carpet Diem" was ten times better than this episode.

I hope we return to the excitement next week.

Carpet Diem was better because there was MUCH more going one besides the body switch on top of some premium quality jokes and gags.

Really good new episode. I especially liked the principal. Even in his first appearance he felt...different from other characters like him. Like he noticed Willows potential for horticulture magic and ok'd her switch and he was funny in Covenvention with his, "Man, I really failed you as a principal" line, and here he was just great with Eda like someone who's used to and seen all the kind of crap students pull and is hard to it, but also still fair.

It also dawned upon me who young Eda reminded me off. Lina Inverse of Slayers. The hair is a different shade of red as is the outfit color, but the same attitude and penchant for pandemonium and chaos is there as is the outfit.

Zanneck

Is it OK that I didn't like Carpet Diem (GFS01)? I just found the whole cliche to be time-wasting when something more story-driven could've happened in that show's place, honestly. Boring Low Tier filler for me whose only real strength (saving grace keeping it from being indefensible in my eyes.) was strengthening Dipper and Mabel's sibling bond at the end, IMHO.

I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY that The Owl House did this plot so much worse and is Garbage Tier, time wasting, character sabotaging (Lilith) nonsense as a result - also, IMHO.

The Gus episode is a step up in a lot of ways, thanks to giving Gus... Well, an actual character to tune in for, honestly. Now if only Willow could get some more development on the level Amity was given in future episodes, I can stop being so down on her being a weaksauce character in my eyes.

That would be great, especially since if Amity can do it, so can Luz, but especially Willow - I don't want to spend this whole series disliking one character. It hurts what could be a higher tiered show for me with this one, personally.

I know Luz definitely needs more development going forward, although I'm not sure sticking her in the typical school setting is that solution - if anything, I think unless some really interesting Harry Potter level storytelling can blossom here and NOT just your typical bland and overdone High School Anime hijinks of the week, well... That's just one reason for me to prefer Amphibia over this show, unfortunately.

Dang shame the High School route is what we're taking here, as it will restrict any further proper world-building that TOH needs to really keep on doing and doing well (which it has, most of the time, IMHO.); I still like BOTH >>>>>>> the absolute cutesy trainwreck Star Vs was for me, regardless. Simply because both former shows (Amphibia, TOH) over the latter (SVTFOE) do otherwise have more characters I like in them, for example - something I can't stress enough, either.

I think what really bugs me is that Eda should've been teaching Luz magic so much more - I really do need a better explanation on why she (Eda) couldn't do that for Luz more, only because I'd hate to chalk it up as bad writing. Maybe if the show had Luz and Eda not be apart from each other so much so far, I wouldn't be this concerned/annoyed at how their relationship isn't as strong/well-written and handled as it should be, so far.

I hope the second half of S1 can begin to fix some of these issues (for me, that's Willow being a weaksauce character AND Luz and Eda'd rather confused relationship); that way this show doesn't fall apart and become just another show trying to mimicking every High School Anime that's been-there-done-that out there. This show should know better and can do so much better with such a truly unique setting than just that, IMHO.

Korra_Fan

"I don't want friends! I want power! And drama!"

Mattholamule really made this episode, he's a fantastic love-to-hate kind of jerk character.

I also liked the subplot with Eda and Principal Bump, especially with all it revealed about Eda (the photos in her file show that her natural hair color is red; the curse is what turned it silver.)

Zanneck

Mattholamule really made this episode, he's a fantastic love-to-hate kind of jerk character.

I also liked the subplot with Eda and Principal Bump, especially with all it revealed about Eda (the photos in her file show that her natural hair color is red; the curse is what turned it silver.)

Well, he did force Gus to stand out as an actual character worth rooting for and not just Willow's "sidekick", so it is a win-win.

StellaMagic

Something tells me Mattholamule might be working for someone evil.

On a lighter note, Eda was like the Bart Simpson of Witches. Imagine the prank phone calls she makes.

Eda: Is Aya there? Last name Newt?
Bartender: Hold on. I'm looking for an Aya Newt!
Customer: Ask the witches of Macbeth!
All laugh.

Dudley

Staff member
Ugh, why are they going to have Luz go to high school? Why can’t she just learn magic from Eda? I bet this is the network’s doing, wanting to make the situations “relatable” for the young viewers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doomrider7

That One Guy
Ugh, why are they going to have Luz go to high school? Why can’t she just learn magic from Eda? I bet this is the network’s doing, wanting to make the situations “relatable” for the young viewers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of like it, but yeah I do kind of agree. I dunno if it was a network mandate, but I think it's maybe something that they looked into due to the criticisms of episode 1 about Luz's behavior in school. That and it gives her a bit more chance to be around kids her age which I think is nice.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts