The Owl House News And Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

doomrider7

That One Guy
Apr 10, 2017
New Milford, NJ
Little Witch Academia
What this person said.

This is the part where I shill another series that Owl House seems to take after, Witch Hat Atelier which also uses symbols, glyphs, and various covers with a main branch school as a motif and is REALLY good and needs not only an anime, but for more people to look it up and read it. Hint, hint.

Reactions: JakobTV

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Being honest with all of you..... You can blame 4chan and anything similar to them and their hardheaded, narrow minded, sad troll-like behavior for all of this and more. Excuse me for bringing them up, but that's where it mostly comes from, in terms of a primary source of where these Garbage Tier comparisons / "rip-off" accusations come from, if you're curious enough.

The comparisons to Gravity Falls are stupid, and I otherwise like that show (for S2, anyway.).

The comparisons for Star Vs.? BEYOND stupid (especially since I freaking hate Star Vs., and especially since The Owl House is actually GOOD, IMHO.).

Calling The Owl House a "rip-off" of Star Vs./Gravity Falls?? It's in the same boat as calling Littlest Pet Shop (2012) (a criminally underrated show I still enjoy reruns of today, BTW.) an MLP:FIM "rip-off" for me, personally... BEYOND INSULTING and disrespectful to those who made it and were actually trying to make something good besides just what everyone else obsessed over at the time, really. This, especially, is something I treat as absolute FACT as an eternal Western Animation (over anime) fan, as well.

It's a dang shame these Garbage Tier comparisons / "rip-off" accusations even exist, especially since I like this show far more than anything in Star Vs., plus I'm actually interested in seeing where it goes, while continuously hoping it only gets much better and much more engaging than it started out for me (which while it wasn't an impressive start, I still prefer it over Star Vs., as I actually like the MCs and don't find them to be obnoxious Mary Sues like I unfortunately do Star Butterfly... UGH.).
And even though I do like Gravity Falls (at least for S2, anyway), it's still pretty unfair to be doing this deal at all.

Any and all shows need to be judged on their own merits, NOT the merits of someone or something else. It's a shame that outside of here, far, FAR, FAR TOO MUCH of the internet has forgotten how to do just that, honestly - especially if all the basically biased Cartoons vs. Anime rants I tend to come across every once in a while (for a major negative example of what I'm getting at here... also, UGH.), are any doggone indication!

Last edited:

Ansi_Molina

Jan 19, 2018
So a question for the room: does anyone outside of here (I know for a fact with how everyone here seems to be enjoying it, hopefully doesn't think this.) think this is a rip-off of Star Vs., so far? I've sadly seen people this this.

Personally, I think such a comparison is really stupid and those that do it likely haven't given this show the fair chance it actually more than deserves, honestly, to make such a comparison, knowing these are far different beasts (plus I know which one I like more after only a couple of episodes, myself, so yeah...).
I don't see any sort of direct comparison here.

I think The Owl House is much more similar to Gravity Falls than it is Star vs.
Agree.

doomrider7

That One Guy
Apr 10, 2017
New Milford, NJ
No episode this week sadly... :(

So here are some great witch related Manga that Luz would unquestionably approve of. :D

Korra_Fan

May 25, 2012
OK, are the writers actively trying to make the "Amity Did Nothing Wrong" meme that's been going around here as correct as possible? Because as of this new episode, her attitude toward Willow back in episode 3, especially after Willow cheated by entering Luz in as her Abomination which got her Top Student status, just became more justified in retrospect.

Also, I.R. Shokew wanted some redemption for Willow, and now we have some: she learns she needs to put the work in rather than stew in her own self-esteem issues and bitterness.

Last edited:

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
"Hooty's Missing Hassle"

Well they are trying to phase out the whole mean girl persona they gave Amity, by having a new mean girl appear, and is clear she is the ring leader of these mean girls, and one of those influences in Amity's life that molds her to the way she is. I don't know if we need them, I never been a fan of "redemption by default". I don't think is the main influence, we have yet to meet Amity's parents.

We have another parcel here perhaps, last episode Luc and Amity rivalry suppose to mirror Eda and Lilith's rivalry, but now is Willow and Amity broken friendship suppose to mirror Eda and Lilith's broken relationship, I don't know. I am excited to see flashbacks of them all when they were kids.

I do have a feeling this con artist guy, we ain't seen the last of him, and he is going to be trouble.

Anyway okay episode.

Reactions: ToonJay723

Korra_Fan

May 25, 2012
Well they are trying to phase out the whole mean girl persona they gave Amity, by having a new mean girl appear, and is clear she is the ring leader of these mean girls, and one of those influences in Amity's life that molds her to the way she is. I don't know if we need them, I never been a fan of "redemption by default". I don't think is the main influence, we have yet to meet Amity's parents.
Though it does offer up yet another Diana Cavendish similarity, since she had these two mean girls who hung out with her too just in order to ride on her coat-tails rather than being real friends to her, with Diana being significantly less terrible than them. It's the same case with Amity and her group of followers here - she didn't lead them or provoke them into doing the mean things that they did; she doesn't even seem to like them all that much.

doomrider7

That One Guy
Apr 10, 2017
New Milford, NJ
"Hooty's Missing Hassle"

We have another parcel here perhaps, last episode Luc and Amity rivalry suppose to mirror Eda and Lilith's rivalry, but now is Willow and Amity broken friendship suppose to mirror Eda and Lilith's broken relationship, I don't know. I am excited to see flashbacks of them all when they were kids.

I do have a feeling this con artist guy, we ain't seen the last of him, and he is going to be trouble.

Anyway okay episode.
God I hope that's not the case with those girls, but something more like Lovable Alpha ***** where they're definitely catty mean girls, but actually ARE good friends to Amity and treat her well.

VG_Addict

Mar 28, 2013
How is the show so far?

Did the reveal that
Willow and Amity used to be friends
feel forced and out of nowhere to anyone else?

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
Though it does offer up yet another Diana Cavendish similarity, since she had these two mean girls who hung out with her too just in order to ride on her coat-tails rather than being real friends to her, with Diana being significantly less terrible than them. It's the same case with Amity and her group of followers here - she didn't lead them or provoke them into doing the mean things that they did; she doesn't even seem to like them all that much.
Well not exactly the same, Hannah and Barbara were Diana's followers, Tasha (I think that is her name) is the leader here of this group.

doomrider7

That One Guy
Apr 10, 2017
New Milford, NJ
Actually no, Hannah and Barbara really WERE good friends with Diana.
and were heart broken when she had dropped out due to personal family reasons and actually soften up to Akko and her friends with Barbara bonding with Lotte over both liking the same romance novel series.

Something like THAT for Amity and her girl posse would be a nice change of things from the usual.

How is the show so far?

Did the reveal that
Willow and Amity used to be friends
feel forced and out of nowhere to anyone else?
I'm still thinking of how to process that one. I'm not sure I like it, but can't come up with any concrete reason why.

Last edited:

Korra_Fan

May 25, 2012
Actually no, Hannah and Barbara really WERE good friends with Diana
Sorry, my mistake: they started out as just coat-tail riding fake friends, but you're right, character development happened and they came to actually like Diana for Diana's sake. Somehow, I doubt Amity's posse are going to make the same development.

Did the reveal that (spoiler) feel forced and out of nowhere to anyone else?
Not really, if you go back and watch their interactions in their debut episode the strained cordial quality makes sense given the reveal. It also shows that Amity wasn't being fully sarcastic back then: she did want to help Willow improve herself, but since they're no longer friends (due to reasons in Amity's backstory that are unclear right now), that earnest supportiveness has become corrupted into a condescending, antagonistic style of motivation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zanneck

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
OK, are the writers actively trying to make the "Amity Did Nothing Wrong" meme that's been going around here as correct as possible? Because as of this new episode, her attitude toward Willow back in episode 3, especially after Willow cheated by entering Luz in as her Abomination which got her Top Student status, just became more justified in retrospect.

Also, I.R. Shokew wanted some redemption for Willow, and now we have some: she learns she needs to put the work in rather than stew in her own self-esteem issues and bitterness.
Pretty much this. It also doesn't help that Amity (who otherwise did nothing wrong in Episodes 3 and 5) comes off no better than a mean girl in this episode, thanks to the company she keeps (with all those 1D mean girls who hate Willow and that's all there is to them, hence being 1D.).

Hopefully, Willow can stop being a terrible character after this, most importantly. Develop more self-esteem, remember who your real friends are (which Amity clearly never was, even when her and Amity were growing up.), and most importantly, stand up for yourself. That's all Willow needs to keep doing after this episode. Oh, and have her defeat Amity proper at some point - even if, again - she did nothing wrong in Episodes 3 and 5, she has that attitude that does need to be taken down a peg and that will hopefully do wonders for her (Amity) and her own development, as well. Show her that such a trashy attitude isn't healthy (they likely won't go back to being friends, regardless.), while at the same time, Willow takes no one's trash towards her, either.

Don't get me wrong, though. It's not just Willow who needs more development going forward, it's also Luz as well - I don't k ow how long we've been in this setting so far, but Luz needs to learn much more magic than she has, honestly. It can only help her stay alive in this setting, obviously enough. I hope the next couple episodes can fix that issue ASAP.

Jun 30, 2012
Which Luz based on the outsourced animation studios they worked find that cuter?

Sugarcube

Sunmin Image Pictures (SMIP)

Rough Draft Korea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Korra_Fan

May 25, 2012
remember who your real friends are (which Amity clearly never was, even when her and Amity were growing up.),
Not sure I'd make that judgement so soon - we only have Willow's account on what happened; which is that from her POV Amity suddenly stopped hanging out with her after developing her powers.

We are missing Amity's account or details about what her life was like growing up...and given that the last girl living in a mansion called "[Family Name] Manor" on a Disney show had parents who forced certain behavior from her with the ringing of a freaking bell, forgive me if I have a hard time swallowing that wee Amity made the choice to ditch Willow all on her own.

StellaMagic

Nov 18, 2006
Virginia
Sorry, my mistake: they started out as just coat-tail riding fake friends, but you're right, character development happened and they came to actually like Diana for Diana's sake. Somehow, I doubt Amity's posse are going to make the same development.

Not really, if you go back and watch their interactions in their debut episode the strained cordial quality makes sense given the reveal. It also shows that Amity wasn't being fully sarcastic back then: she did want to help Willow improve herself, but since they're no longer friends (due to reasons in Amity's backstory that are unclear right now), that earnest supportiveness has become corrupted into a condescending, antagonistic style of motivation.
How much you wanna bet their parents are responsible?

Korra_Fan

May 25, 2012
How much you wanna bet their parents are responsible?
Amity's parents are a given, but thanks for reminding me that what we've heard about Willow's parents don't reflect well on them either: they're the ones who forced her to take abominations class even when she clearly had no talent in that field of magic. And Amity was that class' top student, so now I wonder if placing Willow there was deliberate. Maybe there is some rivalry between Amity's parents and Willow's parents and maybe they're using their own children as proxies in it, refusing to let them be friends because they feel they need to out-do each other instead. An almost Fox and the Hound type of situation, as it were.

Reactions: slai and Zanneck

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Not sure I'd make that judgement so soon - we only have Willow's account on what happened; which is that from her POV Amity suddenly stopped hanging out with her after developing her powers.

We are missing Amity's account or details about what her life was like growing up...and given that the last girl living in a mansion called "[Family Name] Manor" on a Disney show had parents who forced certain behavior from her with the ringing of a freaking bell, forgive me if I have a hard time swallowing that wee Amity made the choice to ditch Willow all on her own.
In that case, I hope I'm proven wrong, going forward. Otherwise, Willow has every reason to make Amity pay for any past pain she's likely still holding onto. Dang shame I'm saying all this, too - but unless Amity's backstory in this new development can win me over, there will be something to pay for the greater good at the end of all of this, honestly.

Amity's parents are a given, but thanks for reminding me that what we've heard about Willow's parents don't reflect well on them either: they're the ones who forced her to take abominations class even when she clearly had no talent in that field of magic. And Amity was that class' top student, so now I wonder if placing Willow there was deliberate. Maybe there is some rivalry between Amity's parents and Willow's parents and maybe they're using their own children as proxies in it, refusing to let them be friends because they feel they need to out-do each other instead. An almost Fox and the Hound type of situation, as it were.
THAT ALONE.... Sounds so much WORSE. Because if that were the case, then it makes even more sense now why Willow and Amity's personal terms with each other are so Garbage Tier, right about now.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

*siiiiigh* welp another _____ disney remake that clueless millennials will go watch and make it gross a billion dollars worldwide.

too bad i can't put some vulgar word in the blank because this is a family friendly board. But that's how i think about these remakes. Use your imaginations
Why do I associate that TT GO! Robin "my booty" meme with Sandu Ciorba's Pe Cimpoi?

Millions of questions, zero answers.

Mark your calendars for August 7.
TBS has been airing a lot of "Close Enough" ads in anticipation for its HBO Max launch.