The Owl House News And Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
I kind of don’t like how they quickly showed Eda’s dream trying to find out why she was cursed. It seemed a bit rushed and tacked on.
Anyway, I’m glad Luz is finally learning magic. I was worried they were going to wait until the end of the season for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In hindsight I kind of agree and would've preferred something where she looks through some notes and journals signifying that it's something she actually knows the source of, but not something she wants to talk about. Similar to GF with Grunkle Stan and the journals in GF or the weirdness in general. Agree that it feels rushed still and on Luz learning magic now instead of later.
Actual valid criticism for a show I'm otherwise happy to still keep up with, honestly. I love it - because yeah. It is important not to rush plot revelations (Eda's curse); at the same time, it's also important to get stuff done proper (Luz learning magic).

Korra_Fan

May 25, 2012
Saw it. All I'll say is people who complained about how Amity was used in the previous episode to feature her will be pleased with this episode.

Reactions: Radiant97

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Remember everyone: AMITY DID NOTHING WRONG. Let this latest episode be continued proof of that.
Please and Thank you.

Although what she said about Luz not being able to learn magic might hurt at first (it is clear that this magic thing isn't something humans can't just pick up and do daily, which makes sense, honestly.), I admire that Luz isn't giving up. That's a great character in the making right there, IMHO.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Saw it. All I'll say is people who complained about how Amity was used in the previous episode to feature her will be pleased with this episode.
Don't go expecting too much positive comments from the likes of __Chan or anyone like that, though. Most of them are only watching it (not because the show is actually good or anything like that, which it is, but instead) for obviously NSFW to discuss reasons, honestly. So Business as usual from them, admittedly.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
This new episode was good. World building and character development done in a nice way. Amity is going to be a classic pompous rival. We got a better understanding of how magic works in this world. And we got some neat sakuga moments during that witch’s Duel.
Can’t wait to see what happens next!

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
Convention

This might be the best one yet, as things are starting to come together in the world building. I think we have our main villain at least for now in The Emperor. I want to know who he is, can't wait to see him. I guess Eda's sister did not put the curse on her, in fact she is secretly trying to help her.

So this time Amity gets her rightful justice. This time our protagonist are called out on the cheating. The two apprentices were cheating against their will, Amity didn't even know.

Luc and Amity have a nice little moment, seeing the kids being way more mature than the adults, especially Eda.

So you think Eda's curse is lifted by the end of the season?

RainbowCupcake

Put that thing back where it came from!
Dec 3, 2017
United States
Fashionably late for some of these.

"I Was A Teenage Abomination:" I liked being able to meet and explore some new characters in this episode. All of them were likable in some way, although Amity felt like a one-dimensional villain in my eyes. Luckily that changes two episodes from now. Weird observation, but I appreciate that the artists gave Willow a "fuller" body shape. It feels like the vast majority of girls in cartoons are drawn to be stick-skinny; not an accurate representation of real life! Also, can I just mention how adorable Gus is? The magic school was neat, reminded me of Hogwarts in a way. I hope that just because Luz is banned from the school doesn't mean that we'll never see it again. The B-story with King and Eda was pretty amusing and made for a nice break from the action.

"The Intruder:" A somewhat boring title, but the episode itself was anything but. King was used really well here. I am going to enjoy seeing Luz and King's relationship grow throughout the show. The Snaggleback was hilarious; he reminded me of the turtle shells from the Mario Kart games. Eda's secret is certainly something...her cursed form was mega-disturbing! If that is what she turns into now, what will she become when the curse gets worse? I agree with the others on the forum who said that the ending felt rushed. In fact, that's the perfect word I would use to describe it. While I'm thoroughly enjoying this series so far, one critique I have is that it kind of feels like it's trying to copy Gravity Falls at times (cliffhangers, Alex Hirsch's involvement, secret codes, etc.) Still, I'm curious to see what the shadow in the door represented and learn more about Eda's past.

And for today's episode...

"Convention:" This episode had quite a bit of information packed into it. Probably the most important thing that happened was meeting Eda's sister, Lillith. She appears to be a more refined version of Eda; I wonder if jealousy will ever be a theme between them? King going to all the booths just so that he could get free stuff had me chuckling. That was the funniest thing that happened in this episode, otherwise it felt dry in the comedy department. I have to say that I enjoyed Amity's redemption here. She's no longer just a cookie-cutter "mean girl;" she now has some depth to her. Maybe she'll even team up with Luz in the future.

And oh boy, that ending.
So apparently Lillith is out to get Eda. THE PLOT THICKENS. The girl in the mirror reminded me all too much of The Blue Girl/Zhan Tiri from Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure. Plus, we get a name for the supposed "big baddie:" Emperor Bellos ('s New Groove). I wonder what he/she has promised Lillith and how the mirror girl is involved. It sounds like Lillith doesn't really want to capture Eda. Will she end up trying to get out of the agreement?

doomrider7

That One Guy
Apr 10, 2017
New Milford, NJ
Ok caught up on the episodes so time to unpack.

The Abomination episode was good and while Ammity was being needlessly catty and condescending, she WAS right about the cheating and the episode made some distinction that she took witchcraft seriously and not just to rub it into people's faces. The fact that Luz got outed as a human likely means that Ammitty was let off so that point is done.

The next two episodes made it clear that humans can't do magic due to lacking innate mana like Magi-humans have which means that they can't cast magic from personal mana reserves and instead need to draw from around them and cast magic via alternate means, in this case sigils.

I was gonna call the stuff with Eda and her sister based on the translated codes, but decided not to thinking spoilers since I wasn't sure when she'd show up based on seeing her in a preview. The designs and attitudes between them are pure Ryoko and Ayeka from the Tenchi series especially their designs in their hair and their attitudes where they're both incredibly catty and mean to each other with all the maturity of HS kids, but deep down DO care about each other.

The stuff with Ammity was great this episode where it's made clear that witchcraft to her is a VERY serious and deeply personal and emotional project and her enmity and resentment towards Luz is do to her lax attitude towards magic as a sort of identity hobby with some very obvious parallels to Diana and Akko from Little Witch Academia.

I'm legitimately looking forward to more since the show seems to be finding it's legs now and am interested more in the lore about how covers work, why you can only use one type of magic when joining, the Emperor's Coven with their blatantly evil looking Griffith Helmets and why they're the exception, how magic works, and more on Eda in general.

If there's one criticism I have, it's the rather overt focus on institutional learning being bad(at least according to Eda)which I'm hoping gets somewhat challenged since it misses the point of why these places come into being in the first place and the whole individuality thing given that Luz is a nice girl, but the stuff she did in school would have gotten her straight up expelled and was legitimately dangerous. I think these things would have been better done a different way in my opinion.

Edit: Forgot to add, love the series, but I'm actually incredibly worried and nervous for it in similar ways to Star vs and GF due to the network. The world feels incredibly big like in Star vs an at full length, I'm sure that they'll explore the hell out of it, I'm just not sure if just two seasons will be enough even if it's 20 full length episodes. Like, if Eda's curse gets lifted by seasons end...where to next? Like yeah Luz still trains and learns, but I'd love to see this road show go on for a good while and we know how Disney does things.

Edit 2: I also loved that it was made clear that both Eda andd Lilith are equals in terms of skill and power plus I loved the sneak attack that Eda pulled when she brought up the curse.

Last edited:

glennbyrnes

Jul 30, 2018
SYLMAR
This new episode was good. World building and character development done in a nice way. Amity is going to be a classic pompous rival. We got a better understanding of how magic works in this world. And we got some neat sakuga moments during that witch’s Duel.
Can’t wait to see what happens next!

I'll bet that emperor was the one that cursed Eva.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Except his coven which has all the powers.
It's clear that they're the law and order of this place. Too bad it's clearer that said law and order is a rather fascist one begging to be brought down.

Eda has a valid argument against said order in this case and how its institutionalization of the population hurts more than helps, due to its fascist nature and tendencies of limiting the citizens' ability to learn more than one thing that could prove useful to them.

Would actually begin to explain why Willow sucked at abominations but excels with plants so much, too. It's clear these limitations, while clearly a form of limiting the rights of the citizens (which ain't right in general!) are meant to be a chaos prevention type of thing - but this brand of keeping order is clearly sinister and will need to be challenges for the greater good of giving back freedom and democracy to a place clearly lacking it, someday.

Something Eda is already doing and doing quite well and something Luz needs to understand. To be great at anything, you need to know more than one thing. Something Eda already knows and wants Luz to understand if she ever wants to get good at this on her own merits, besides Eda helping her out, honestly.

Freedom and democracy are not on this empire's mind, hence these obvious limitations unless you're good enough to join up and be part of the one of many problems hindering this otherwise considered wonderful place to its citizenry.

However, when the time comes to bring down this empire, I can only hope being able to learn more than one type of magic and not being limitrd to just one anymore... for reasons, can be a blessing for this citizenry and not a curse due to a lack of law and order that might ensue with having to stand up to these obvious bad guys. I trust the writers can and do think about these things, too. Hopefully.

Jun 30, 2012
Man next to Mao Mao and Rise of the TMNT I really enjoy how we are getting all these nicely animated shows with great animation techniques.

Spencer Wan did animate this scene. Except that he only did the layout and assist Sugarcube to animate it just like what they did on the opening sequence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Birthday to the great Akira Toriyama!
Today, variety in my country's Cartoon Network's schedule has died.
I'm Planning to make a New Qubo schedule With Several New and Returning Shows (With one of them being Jacob Two-Two), No Paid Programming and the Return of the 4 hour Marathons.
Today marks the 10th Year Anniversary of Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated and the 7th Year Anniversary of its series finale. It ended up becoming my favorite adaptation of the Scooby-Doo Franchise and found out about Lewis Black by name (I had heard his voice in some earlier shows).
Happy birthday to Akira Toriyama. My moniker here should make it clear that I am a fan of the DB Franchise.