The Owl House News And Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

Jun 30, 2012
Rewatch first 2 episodes of the owl house and I really don’t like Luz's voices. She’s sound way too off for me. What I don’t like about her voice is she doesn’t sound much Hispanic or Latina to me, she’s sound more like American as her voice actor was. And yes, Sarah-Nicole Robles is definitely American and not tried to be Hispanic enough. And yet, I don’t know and care much about Sarah. I mean, didn’t she take Spanish class before?

Same problem with Marco Diaz from Star vs Evil that he’s sound heavily speak in American accent, not in Latino accent. Who was voice by Adam McArthur and he’s also American.

Why can’t Disney or Dana Terrace just take the voice audition. Or at least, hired the Latina decent to voice her?

That make American playing as Hispanic character even weirder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rewatch first 2 episodes of the owl house and I really don’t like Luz's voices. She’s sound way too off for me. What I don’t like about her voice is she doesn’t sound much Hispanic or Latina to me, she’s sound more like American as her voice actor was. And yes, Sarah-Nicole Robles is definitely American and not tried to be Hispanic enough. And yet, I don’t know and care much about Sarah. I mean, didn’t she take Spanish class before?

Same problem with Marco Diaz from Star vs Evil that he’s sound heavily speak in American accent, not in Latino accent. Who was voice by Adam McArthur and he’s also American.

Why can’t Disney or Dana Terrace just take the voice audition. Or at least, hired the Latina decent to voice her?

That make American playing as Hispanic character even weirder.

Screw this. I rather read the closed captions and subtitles for sure rather than listening.

Mod note: Double posts merged. Please use the edit button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Korra_Fan

May 25, 2012
I think we can all agree that Eda looks and behaves exactly like Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo!
Moreso in the pilot, which I felt was a problem because Wendie Malick's voice did not fit that kind of writing and animation. The second episode thankfully fixed that, as now Eda appears to be characterized as a sort of "Ryoko in retirement"; you can tell she used to have that wild and exciting edge in the past, but at this point she's seen all there is to see and did all there is to do and has more of a lazy, nonchalant, unimpressed type of attitude toward all the things she does, which is exactly the type of character Wendie Malick is good at portraying.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Aug 29, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Voice casting to fit race is a very tricky thing. Sometimes casting directors specifically use and find actors of the same race as the character they're portraying, but it's not legally required. It's nice when directors do cast appropriately, but it's not always the case.

Eric Stuart, who isn't Asian, voiced Splinter, who is Asian, for one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle cartoons said they cast him because he could do a non-offensive Asian accent and act appropriately. On the other hand, Marvel Animation went out of their way to cast a Muslim actress to voice Ms. Marvel for Marvel Rising.

I guess it depends on the casting director and how they feel about such things. Can you tell that Honey Lemon on Big Hero 6 is voiced by Latina actress Genesis Rodriguez?

Reactions: jasonnguyen2606

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
I Was A Teenage Abomination

Well this episode proves that Eda is Ryoko. I could see Ryoko having that anti school attitude. This episode did break the formula of Luc gets herself into trouble and Eda saves her. Though they did tease it at the end they were going to do it again. This time Eda did not bail Luc out.

I am interested to see what happens when Eda and the principal meet, I do think there is history there. I do find out more about Eda school dropout. There is a story to be told there.

These new characters were all great, well Gus still needs another episode to get more spotlight, but Amity and Willow were great addition. I was thrown off at first at people calling Willow a half witch, I thought she was literally a mixed character, but it seems that is just a nick name, because she is not good at her classes.

I did find the irony intentionally or not on the part when Amity tried to expose Luc and the teacher wasn't buying it. That is very Gladys Kravitz like. The irony of course this time she is the witch trying to expose humans and not the other way around like it was with Gladys.

I know Amity going to get a lot of Pacifica comparisons and I get that, but also another character I like to compare her to is Diana Cavendish. I think she is the perfect combo of those two, she has Pacifica's meanness, but Diana top of the class station. Though in terms of power and skill, she is not good as Diana.

I am interested in learning more about her, I do feel there is somebody she is trying to impress or at least prove herself to, like an older sister or mother. I wonder if Azura the witch in Luc's book, if she is related to Amity assuming she is real and not just a fictional character.

I was on Amity's side in this episode. Yes she was kind of mean to Willow in the beginning, still doesn't excuse cheating. Willow and Luc were cheating, and that is wrong.

It seems now that we have the whole cast for the most part, now that the introduction are over, maybe we get to the plot. We don't even have a main threat or villain yet.

Last edited:

Korra_Fan

May 25, 2012
It seems now that we have the whole cast for the most part, now that the introduction are over, maybe we get to the plot. We don't even have a main threat or villain yet.
Are we sure the Principal isn't our main threat / villain? The guy had a legit sinister aura.

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
As much as I still want to keep up with this series, even though I like Amphibia more (and that's not difficult to admit), this latest episode makes me question this show's writing quality.

TBH, Amity did nothing wrong. Willow is the real bad guy in all this. Because if she had just went to her preferred class of choice (plant wizardry) in the first place, nothing we saw would have been necessary. They're making us feel bad for a character who didn't have the bravery to go to her preferred class like she should have, instead of letting angst, self-doubt and jealousy get the better of her.

Turning Amity into an antagonist just because as a result == bad writing, in the grand scheme of things. Especially to make Willow look good when she just..... isn't. Willow has a lot of growing to do as a character to redeem herself from this below average introduction of her character, admittedly. Here's hoping said development/redemption happens soon.

Again, AMITY DID NOTHING WRONG.

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
As much as I still want to keep up with this series, even though I like Amphibia more (and that's not difficult to admit), this latest episode makes me question this show's writing quality.

TBH, Amity did nothing wrong. Willow is the real bad guy in all this. Because if she had just went to her preferred class of choice (plant wizardry) in the first place, nothing we saw would have been necessary. They're making us feel bad for a character who didn't have the bravery to go to her preferred class like she should have, instead of letting angst, self-doubt and jealousy get the better of her.

Turning Amity into an antagonist just because as a result == bad writing, in the grand scheme of things. Especially to make Willow look good when she just..... isn't. Willow has a lot of growing to do as a character to redeem herself from this below average introduction of her character, admittedly. Here's hoping said development/redemption happens soon.

Again, AMITY DID NOTHING WRONG.
Well I agree with you kind of. With Amity at least, she was just trying to expose the cheater. But is not Willow's fault she was stuck in this class, it was parents who made her go to this class.

Last edited:
Reactions: I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Well I agree with you kind of. With Amity at least, she was just trying to expose the cheater. But is not Willow she was stuck in this class, it was parents who made go to this class.
Thanks for correcting me. However, I still stand by this: Willow needs to be less of a wuss in the future. That should be the goal in terms of giving her some much needed character development, honestly.

As for Amity... it's like I said. I really hope she isn't forced into an antagonist role like these writers unfortunately did in this latest episode. That would suck if they did, honestly.

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
Thanks for correcting me. However, I still stand by this: Willow needs to be less of a wuss in the future. That should be the goal in terms of giving her some much needed character development, honestly.

As for Amity... it's like I said. I really hope she isn't forced into an antagonist role like these writers unfortunately did in this latest episode. That would suck if they did, honestly.
Well I don't think you have to worry about Amity getting more development and being more of a 3 dimensional character. She is voiced by Mae Whitman, great actress. They would not waste her talent on a one dimensional mean girl character. Personally I think she could be related to Azura. I guess we will wait and see on that one.

Reactions: I.R. Shokew

Korra_Fan

May 25, 2012
From what I can gather from information available:

Amity is actually going to become less antagonistic with each passing episode she shows up in. As zoombie said, she seems heavily inspired by the character of Diana from Little Witch Academia, who followed a similar path of being dubiously introduced as a snobby top student who is antagonistic to our weird and wacky protagonist, but the show quickly began making a point of making the viewer go "Actually, she has a point; our protagonist can be an idiot who causes a lot more problems than she solves, and this girl isn't top student for nothing: she's very sensible and helpful to have around."

Episode 5 will have Luz and Amity think better of having a major rivalry, and Episode 7 will outright have them teamed up together to stop a problem that Luz causes.

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Well I don't think you have to worry about Amity getting more development and being more of a 3 dimensional character. She is voiced by Mae Whitman, great actress. They would not waste her talent on a one dimensional mean girl character. Personally I think she could be related to Azura. I guess we will wait and see on that one.
From what I can gather from information available:

Amity is actually going to become less antagonistic with each passing episode she shows up in. As zoombie said, she seems heavily inspired by the character of Diana from Little Witch Academia, who followed a similar path of being dubiously introduced as a snobby top student who is antagonistic to our weird and wacky protagonist, but the show quickly began making a point of making the viewer go "Actually, she has a point; our protagonist can be an idiot who causes a lot more problems than she solves, and this girl isn't top student for nothing: she's very sensible and helpful to have around."

Episode 5 will have Luz and Amity think better of having a major rivalry, and Episode 7 will outright have them teamed up together to stop a problem that Luz causes.
Thank you to you both. I await some positive developments for Amity and the continued betterment of this show from everyone else involved, as a result. Thanks for hopefully putting my mind at ease, regardless.

doomrider7

That One Guy
Apr 10, 2017
New Milford, NJ
On the Eda is Ryoko thing, I partially disagree. She's definitely designed with Ryoko in mind, but her attitude is a LOT like Washu's(Ryoko's Mom) who's an eccentric genius scientist who's seen and done EVERYTHING thus little to nothing phases her and is content to just chill.

Reactions: TheCartoonRailfan

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
Voice casting to fit race is a very tricky thing. Sometimes casting directors specifically use and find actors of the same race as the character they're portraying, but it's not legally required. It's nice when directors do cast appropriately, but it's not always the case.

I guess it depends on the casting director and how they feel about such things. Can you tell that Honey Lemon on Big Hero 6 is voiced by Latina actress Genesis Rodriguez?

According to Sarah Nicole Robles' website, she's fluent in conversational Spanish (I'll screenshot it).

Screenshot_20200127-140433.png

Reactions: jasonnguyen2606
Jun 30, 2012
Last edited:

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
If anyone's feeling weary, I can assure you that (without spoiling/detailing anything, of course - please watch it for yourself and I hope you enjoy it.) Episode 4 (The Intruder) starts out slow, but is another step in the right direction (overall) for S1 of this new series. I can still take or leave King as a character, however.

In comparison.....
E4 == E2 >>> E3 >>>>>> E1, honestly.

OK, take care.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

MMMM, These Jelly Doughnuts Are Great! - 4kids When They Killed Fox's SatAM Line-up.
Who would win in a fight: Mighty Mouse or Underdog?
Ready for Warmer Weather
Tacomaster wrote on LDEJRuff's profile.
Yo, I didn't know you were here
On Twitter you can find a lot of... interesting tweets. Like the one that says that Avatar the Last Airbender ruined animation....................................
............. I have no words.