The Official "The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Rumor Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Curious to see what the new animated Spider-Man series will be like? Check out this thread for all the latest news and updates on the newest animated incarnation of everyone's favorite Web-Slinger! The Spectacular Spider-Man debuts in 2008!

Update: June 22nd, 2007
-Hi-Res The Spectacular Spider-Man Promo Image (Post #482)

Previous Update(s):
-Keaton Confirms He's The Spectacular Spider-Man (Post #467)
-The Spectacular Spider-Man Promo Image (Post #448)
-The Spectacular Spider-Man Press Release (Post #434)
-New "Spider-Man" Series renamed The Spectacular Spider-Man (Post #412)
-Press Release: New "Spider-Man" Series on Kids' WB! In Early 2008 (Post #140)

S.C.B

Too close.
I hope they take it in a different direction, essentially being what X-Men: Evolution is to X-Men: The Animated Series. Spidey has been re-imagined so many times, it's going to be difficult to come up with a spin that's unique.

Shantosh9500

Michael Jackson is RETURNING
As long as its not connected to the movies, faithful to the comics and NOT 3-D its fine with me. Don't ask me why but i'm predicting that this new series would be Anime-like similar to The Batman. Just a thought.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
So do we have any idea on where the series will go? I mean after the last Spider-Man series kind of bombed on MTV I doubt we'll see it there. I'm kind of hoping/figuring it will end up going to Cartoon Network. After all they are getting the Ultimate Avengers movie as well as showing the Fantastic Four series (along with the CW network) among other Marvel collaborations so it will probably end up going there. And if it ends up on Toonami maybe they can make it more "mature" then some of the other Spider-Man series (not the MTV Spiderman, but like the 90's Spiderman series, which means that we'll actually hear people being allowed to say "kill" and punch each other reguarly).

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
Neo Ultra Mike said:
So do we have any idea on where the series will go? I mean after the last Spider-Man series kind of bombed on MTV I doubt we'll see it there. I'm kind of hoping/figuring it will end up going to Cartoon Network. After all they are getting the Ultimate Avengers movie as well as showing the Fantastic Four series (along with the CW network) among other Marvel collaborations so it will probably end up going there. And if it ends up on Toonami maybe they can make it more "mature" then some of the other Spider-Man series (not the MTV Spiderman, but like the 90's Spiderman series, which means that we'll actually hear people being allowed to say "kill" and punch each other reguarly).

Cartoon Network is a good bet due to the Marvel movies airing on Toonami and Fantastic Four coming to CN (although we don't know where on the network yet. (One note on Fantastic Four: It's only on CN, not the CW).

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I'd imagine Cartoon Network is the most likely place. There does seem to be a bit of a Marvel revivial going on over at CN, and I think Spider-Man would fit right in on Toonami.

It wouldn't be too out of place on Kids WB! or whatever it will eventually become on The CW. A wise cracking teenage superhero with 'normal' teenage problems fits thier MO. I'd sooner see it on CN though - I still have issues with Kids WB!'s version of Batman.

Hypestyle

... I want more marvel heroes to appear in the new Spidey cartoons.. though, with all of the movie projects being handled, i know it's probably a lost cause for the "a-list" heroes..

Wonderwall

Staff member
Stu said:
I'd sooner see it on CN though - I still have issues with Kids WB!'s version of Batman.

Which version of Batman? The New Adventures, BB, or The Batman? Its been awhile since Spider man showed up with a new show. Especially with today's tech improved, and if its on Cartoon Network at least now he'll be able to land next to birds on screen:D . Hopefully it won't need to reuse animation to much either. I really enjoyed 90s Spider Man and I even liked MTV Spider Man( Has a special place for me for a few reasons ), but they were far from the quality that the DCAU has set the bar for. Anyway with DC's strangle hold on animation seemingly over, it'll be interesting to see how Marvel will be stepping up with 3 new shows.

Ultra8

Now all I/You can do
I'll be happy as long as they get to use Spidey's rogues to a decent effect. One of the nails in the coffin the last 2 series shared was the not alot of familiar villians because they might appear in the movie scenario.

Draft

if spidey goes to anything other than cn, i would be stunned

so congrats to spidey fans, and hope it doesnt bomb liek the mtv one i guess

S.C.B

Too close.
Maybe we'll see those Jeff Matsuda designs dusted off and used, mmm?

Which channel it's on depends on what age Peter is. If he's the age of say, Virgil in Static Shock (which is how it should be, if they are starting from the beginning), then it would probably go on KidsWB!. If he's the same age as the movie Pete (more likely), then it could go on CN, easy.

stephane dumas

and which animated studio will work on a new Spider-man animated series? I taught of the same studios (Moonscope) who worked on the upcoming Fantastic Four series.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
You can never have too many Spider-Man series but I'm surprised there's another one already planned. My bets are also on CN. Fantastic Four, then Wolverine and X-Men and finally the new Spider-Man. Possibly all 3 on Toonami.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Sketch said:
You can never have too many Spider-Man series but I'm surprised there's another one already planned. My bets are also on CN. Fantastic Four, then Wolverine and X-Men and finally the new Spider-Man. Possibly all 3 on Toonami.

And to think two years ago, there was no Marvel animated shows on T.V.

Shantosh9500

Michael Jackson is RETURNING
I really REALLY hope that this new series would last like 4 or 5 seasons rather than ending with one like the previous two SM series.

Weibart

Intercept Now!
Reporter
I'm interested to see how this pans out. Hopefully, it's designed right for animation and is written for a broad appeal. I agree on CN as the most likely spot for this to air. With luck this could turn out to be a pretty cool series...

Mister Intensity

There has never been a Spider-Man animated series that started from the beginning with a fifteen year old Peter Parker. Considering that the networks prefer youngsters as leads in animated series, it would be the perfect approach to a new Spider-Man animated series. It also would make it different from previous Spidey series which all featured a college-aged Peter Parker already well-established in his role..

Mister Intensity

Pepperidge

Mister Intensity said:
There has never been a Spider-Man animated series that started from the beginning with a fifteen year old Peter Parker. Considering that the networks prefer youngsters as leads in animated series, it would be the perfect approach to a new Spider-Man animated series. It also would make it different from previous Spidey series which all featured a college-aged Peter Parker already well-established in his role..

Mister Intensity
If they do that, and let him actually battle with classic villains, and let him punch them while battling, then we may finally have a good Spider-Man animated series.

It would also be nice to FINALLY see Gwen Stacey's death properly adapted.

Dark Fact

Preaching evil since '04
Considering how badly the last two series went over, I'm going to remain skeptical about this new series until it manages to go past 13 episodes.

And hopefully this time, there won't be anymore paranoid suits sticking their noses into the franchise, telling the animators what they can't or can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts