The Official Live-Action "Cowboy Bebop" News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
EW has another image from the show.
Cowboy Bebop is one of the most formative anime of all time. Some might call the original '90s series about a trio of space bounty hunters roaming the galaxy for their next payday as the anime. Suffice it to say, there's a lot of pressure on Netflix's live-action adaptation, but there's also a lot to pique your interest: John Cho sporting sexy locks and suave suits, a driving soundtrack by the anime's original composer Yoko Kanno, and live-action Ein, the "data dog" (a.k.a. the super-smart corgi). Add in a grand production that was shot in New Zealand on the same stages as Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films, and you can imagine the scale of this deranged space opera. —Nick Romano

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
09/23:
The "Tudum" event will feature an "Exclusive look at the Cowboy Bepop's opening title sequence featuring John Cho (Spike Spiegel) and the highly anticipated music from Yoko Kanno". It's scheduled for the second hour of the event, so starting Saturday, September 25 at 10 AM PST (1 PM EST).

09/24:
Minor but a poster was released.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You know some interpretations and shots actually look pretty cool like Pierrot Le Fou and Punch and Judy (of Big Shot) and even that classic image of Spike and Vicious facing off (which is a major spoiler shot but... the anime even in america's been out 20 years so statue of limitations has long since passed on that) but other shots look so off trying to homage the intro. Like Jet running or Spike kicking the air which look really cool animated but man do NOT work nearly as well in live action. I really hope that isn't something that is as prevalent in the actual show as I hope they aren't just doing a lot of beat for beat stuff from the series. Since honestly if done right this could be a solid new take on the series but I would of gone more with a trailer showing more of the plots then have your first shots of these characters in action be the intro that does not do a lot of them favors.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Yeah, some of the shots where they re-created from the original intro look awkward but I get why they did it. I don't think the show will be a note-for-note remake of the anime, it'll probably be a mix of original stuff and stuff adapted from the show. Hopefully we don't get a case where the show satisfies no one(either fans of the anime or those who have never heard of the show before).

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
It's so cool they kept the original theme and the opening sequence does feel suitably cartoony as it feels like most American cartoon adaptations tend to detoon the material and make it more grounded (not just anime adaptations, see Inspector Gadget or the Smurfs for example). So we might get Mad Pierrot and the Teddy Bomber in this?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Wondering how the show is going to differ from the original as those character bios show that lots of one shot characters from the original appear and the live action versions seem to basically have the same roles as the originals. A few characters seem to get minor changes, like it appears that live action Gen identifies as possibly nonbinary? or at least has "they" as their preferred pronoun. One notable omission is that the Teddy Bomber appears but not Cowboy Andy. For those worrying about an in name only adaptation, the marketing is at least showing promise that they are keeping stuff from the source material and that opening sequence captures the feel of the show well. I'm still highly optimistic.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Okay I'll give it to them that this teaser was actually really cool. Having a bit more actual context and not just having characters replicate the opening in live action gives you a better feel of what this series will be like and the actual does look good and the scene transitions actually flowed really well. And heck they did actually pull off it being serious showing Spike and Vicious fighting for a second too. I also like showing the actual interaction between the main 3 especially at the end with Faye saying they shot the guys too much in the head to collect the bounty and Spike and Jet trying to say they never missed. It feels different yet similar enough from the original Bebop to show you "hey this show will be in spirit of the show but it's own thing" more then anything else I've seen of it so far. I do hope like in the original series though we have an ep without Faye before introducing her to really get the Spike/Jet dynamic down first but eh guess we'll see but again this has sold me more on the show then the opening homage did.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I really hope the actual show doesn't use the 2003 Hulk style transitions like this trailer did. The style of humor and fight scenes felt even more wacky and cartoony than the anime. Granted the anime had plenty of humor, but the exact style of humor was quite a bit different. I think a lot of that stems from the characterizations of the cast. John Cho didn't really seemed to have a different take on Spike than Blum's iconic deep voiced stoicism. Tonally, it does feel very different from the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts