The "Nintendo Switch" News and Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It largely depends on if you prefer to buy games outright or temporarily own them.

Nintendo's previous console, the Wii U, can be bought for a decent price used or refurbished. It has has 94 NES games, 51 SNES games, and 40 Turbo-Grafx-16 games, each priced between $5-$8. You keep the games and can download and delete them as many times as you want. Here's the full list: List of Virtual Console games for Wii U (North America) - Wikipedia

The Switch is more expensive than the WIi U and has a subscription service for some of their classic games. You can pay $4 per month or $20 per year for access to more than 60 NES and SNES games. You can rewind, save multiple times, and play against other people online or locally. The catch is that once your subscription ends you no longer have access to any of those games until you renew your service. The list: Nintendo Switch Online - Wikipedia

The Switch also has something called Arcade Archives which features around 200 arcade games from the 1980's and 1990's such as Donkey Kong, Frogger, Mario Bros, etc each priced at $8. Once you buy the games you keep them forever and you can save and adjust the difficulty to your liking. The full list: Arcade Archives - Wikipedia

If you want to play brand new games that have the 2D retro look and controls they're are over 100 on both systems but the Switch has the most. New ones release almost every week. 41 Best Pixel graphics games for Nintendo Switch | 50 Games Like

It's a lot of info to take in but I hope that helped a little.
Thanks. The Wii-U looks more my style. So far, I just buy dedicated consoles with games built into them. I was a big fan of the NES Classic, the SNES Classic, and the Sega Genesis Mini. Thank you for the info.

Reactions: Terror of Death

SNS

Oct 8, 2002
United States
Wish the top 20 games wasn't mainly comprised of slightly enhanced ports, remakes, and sequels. The Switch's biggest flaw is the lack of "new" games from both first and third party developers. It's okay for casual gamers who rarely buy systems but for everyone else the system is 75% old hat.
Ports are great since the nature of the system allows you to play many of these games portably for the first time. I hope we really are getting Bioshock. And I really wish we could get Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. It would be amazing to play those games on the go.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
New York
The Nintendo Switch has sold 55.7748 million units as of March 31, 2020.

Nintendo First Party Lifetime Game Sales
  1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (24.77 million)
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (18.84 million)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (17.41 million)
  4. Super Mario Odyssey (17.41 million)
  5. Pokémon Sword and Shield (17.37 million)
  6. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! (11.97 million)
  7. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (11.77 million)
  8. Splatoon 2 (10.13 million)
  9. Super Mario Party (10.10 million)
  10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (6.60 million)

First Party Million Sellers Between April 2019 - March 2020
  1. Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield (17.37 million)
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (11.77 million)
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (8.08 million)
  4. Luigi's Mansion 3 (6.33 million)
  5. Super Mario Maker 2 (5.48 million)
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (5.03 million)
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (4.64 million)
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (4.38 million)
  9. Super Mario Party (3.70 million)
  10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (3.29 million)
  11. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2.87 million)
  12. Ring Fit Adventure (2.73 million)
  13. Splatoon 2 (1.43 million)
  14. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! (1.34 million)
  15. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX (1.26 million)
  16. MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3: The Black Order (1.08 million)
  17. Astral Chain (1.08 million)

So in just 11 days, Animal Crossing: New Horizons has sold nearly 12 million copies. Pokémon Sword and Shield has likely outsold Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (17.67 million) by now, becoming the third best selling Pokémon games behind Red/Green/Blue (31.38 million) and Gold/Silver (23.10 million)

creator

Apr 19, 2020
Chicago
Incredible sales for the Switch! Here is some launch-aligned data that I've been tracking.

Wii67.45
DS64.79
Switch55.77
GBA51.40
3DS43.33
GC15.97
Wii U12.60

Wii509.66
Switch356.24
DS330.87
GBA183.79
3DS162.92
GC125.96
Wii U79.30

Reactions: Light Lucario

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I'm so glad that Pokemon Sword/Shield are selling that well. Being the third highest selling Pokemon games is a huge deal. Granted, I'm sure that being at a higher price is a big factor, but they still sold more R/S, B/W, X/Y and Sun/Moon, which is still so amazing. I still need to work on my write up for the games, if only because talking about how much I love them would be a nice way to keep myself happy, but they are still pretty solid games. They aren't perfect by any means, but they are extremely fun to play through, so I'm glad that they're selling so well.

I am a bit worried about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX. I don't think most of the spin-off series tend to have huge sales anyway and most people were focused on Animal Crossing New Horizon too, but I hope that this doesn't prevent any other future remakes or new installments. A lot of fans would just adore a Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky remake, so that would be neat to see. This is also a pretty fun game, although I got too tired and frustrated with not being able to get the Shiny Pokemon, but I liked most of the upgrades they made to the original game.

Animal Crossing New Horizon doing that well in such a short amount of time is amazing. Even though fans weren't happy with its initial delay, Nintendo unknowingly picked the perfect release date for it. I'm not sure if it would have sold that much without the whole current situation preventing people from going out more often, but it's still nice for fans of that series. I've thought about getting a copy myself just because of all the hype and I might do that at some point, but I also still have plenty of Switch titles that I haven't finished yet, so I might just save that for a possible Christmas list instead.

creator

Apr 19, 2020
Chicago
I'm so glad that Pokemon Sword/Shield are selling that well. Being the third highest selling Pokemon games is a huge deal. Granted, I'm sure that being at a higher price is a big factor, but they still sold more R/S, B/W, X/Y and Sun/Moon, which is still so amazing. I still need to work on my write up for the games, if only because talking about how much I love them would be a nice way to keep myself happy, but they are still pretty solid games. They aren't perfect by any means, but they are extremely fun to play through, so I'm glad that they're selling so well.

I am a bit worried about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX. I don't think most of the spin-off series tend to have huge sales anyway and most people were focused on Animal Crossing New Horizon too, but I hope that this doesn't prevent any other future remakes or new installments. A lot of fans would just adore a Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky remake, so that would be neat to see. This is also a pretty fun game, although I got too tired and frustrated with not being able to get the Shiny Pokemon, but I liked most of the upgrades they made to the original game.

Animal Crossing New Horizon doing that well in such a short amount of time is amazing. Even though fans weren't happy with its initial delay, Nintendo unknowingly picked the perfect release date for it. I'm not sure if it would have sold that much without the whole current situation preventing people from going out more often, but it's still nice for fans of that series. I've thought about getting a copy myself just because of all the hype and I might do that at some point, but I also still have plenty of Switch titles that I haven't finished yet, so I might just save that for a possible Christmas list instead.
Please let us know when you’ve finished your Pokémon review. It will be interesting to hear some other thoughts now that the dust has settled.

Reactions: Light Lucario

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Please let us know when you’ve finished your Pokémon review. It will be interesting to hear some other thoughts now that the dust has settled.
I appreciate your interest. Discussion on the games have been rather minimal here, which is kind of a mixed bag given the National Dex issue. Despite the controversy, the games seem to be generally well received among fans, at least from what I can tell, so that is nice. There is a News and Discussion thread for Pokemon Sword/Shield, so I'll hopefully be able to post my review there soon.

Reactions: ToonJay723

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Apr 23, 2007
In the now, man
animrevelation.web44.net
Hey Switch owners- has anyone else experience joycon drift? I've been having a bad case of it for a while, and I've tried the rubbing alcohol trick a few times, which has had no effect.

Is there anything else you can suggest? I've heard that you can send it over to Nintendo for them to fix or replace, but I don't want to be without my Switch for long, as Animal Crossing is my quarantine healer.

creator

Apr 19, 2020
Chicago
Hey Switch owners- has anyone else experience joycon drift? I've been having a bad case of it for a while, and I've tried the rubbing alcohol trick a few times, which has had no effect.

Is there anything else you can suggest? I've heard that you can send it over to Nintendo for them to fix or replace, but I don't want to be without my Switch for long, as Animal Crossing is my quarantine healer.
If it's a hardware issue then Nintendo will need to fix it or send you a replacement. Another potential cause of drift is signal interference from other bluetooth devices and the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band. I had right joycon drift, but I moved some Wi-Fi devices around so that the Switch was on its own side of the TV and I haven't had any issues since. It's strange because the Wii U worked for years in the original setup.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
A classic NES game was released on the eshop today, but don't get any ideas. It's not any of the ones you're thinking of. It's F117A Stealth Fighter, which was originally released by Microprose, and even then, it's a modified re-release which replaces the original Microprose logo with the Retroism (the company re-releasing it) logo.

This game, and the Double Dragon and Kunio-kun games make up the only classic NES games that can actually be bought on the eshop (that I know of, anyway). I just thought you would all like to know. Will we ever see any of the more famous ones? Who knows...