The Nickelodeon Magazine Archive

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
Is it me or is Highlights never going to end? I keep getting stuff in the mail advertising it. Like I'm gonna actually use the smiley face stickers. I have no idea where my old Nick mags are since I've moved. They should be in a box in the garage somewhere but I'm lazy.

DeanBurrito25

I figure I might as well get started. Here's the March 2007 issue of Nickelodeon Magazine.

OOI038.jpg

Ha, that's brilliant. :)

mobo85

This space for rent
I've said to myself multiple times "If you looked up 'nepotism' in the dictionary, you'd see Polly Draper's picture." Despite that fact, I must admit that Nat Wolff is a pretty good songwriter for his age, and the original movie that inspired The Naked Brothers Band was a pretty clever mockumentary in the This is Spinal Tap vein. The series? Not so much.

Martianinvader said:
Holly Hobbie has been around since the 70's, Al.

Indeed she has. American Greetings has been bringing back a number of characters from their Those Characters from Cleveland division over the past couple of years and updating them for a new generation, including Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Madballs, and yes, Holly Hobbie. (I was surprised to find out that Holly Hobbie is in fact a real person- not only did she create the character named after her, but she is the same Holly Hobbie who writes the "Toot and Puddle" childrens books.)

Funky Al

I ate the WHOLE PLATE!
Indeed she has. American Greetings has been bringing back a number of characters from their Those Characters from Cleveland division over the past couple of years and updating them for a new generation, including Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Madballs, and yes, Holly Hobbie. (I was surprised to find out that Holly Hobbie is in fact a real person- not only did she create the character named after her, but she is the same Holly Hobbie who writes the "Toot and Puddle" childrens books.)
For one reason or another, I remember an ad for this where 'old' Hobbie was 'retooled' Hobbie's grandma. This strikes me as a little weird, because if Hobbie was about 10 in the 70s, wouldn't that put Granny in her mid to late 40s?

Jacob

Staff member
Apparently the last issue came out recently. Assuming it's okay with Martianinvader, could someone post a pic of the cover, or any pages on which they explain the cancellation of the magazine?

HomeMoviesFan

I have a nemesis!
:eek: Wow. Nick Magazine is like the anti-Disney Adventures. I can't believe so much is intact from when I stopped reading it in 2001! I must have sent so many "Say What" entries back in the late 90's, but I'm pretty sure the editors or whoever received them could hardly read my unintelligible writing.

mobo85

This space for rent
Apparently the last issue came out recently. Assuming it's okay with Martianinvader, could someone post a pic of the cover, or any pages on which they explain the cancellation of the magazine?

I don't have a pic to post, but I saw the last issue- the cover is of SpongeBob with a Christmas theme with "This is our last issue!" on the top. The first inside page has a letter explaining that this is the last issue and thanking the readers for their support, promising that the rest of Nickelodeon will still be around. From there it's a typical issue, with some of the features and games involving Nick Magazine, including a typically tongue-in-cheek look at what the various characters from the magazine are doing in their retirement- including Zelda Van Gutters herself, who was fired after the magazine finally realized they don't hire dogs and ended up finding love and is looking forward to a happy future. As far as dog futures go, at least.

TenPoundHammer

Wheel of Fortune winner, 12/8/17
I had a couple from the late 1990s. I remember the "Nickelodeon Magazine please!" ads, and I remember one of the first ones I had taught me the lyrics to the CatDog theme way before CatDog actually came on. Another had an Angry Beavers comic.

I'm told they used to use otters as pseudo-mascots. >.>

Can we have more scans? Please? I only read this mag a few times and I still miss it.

M

Megatron81

Hello everyone, new to the board and glad I found this post! I have been trying to locate some of the Nickelodeon Magazines from either 1998 or 1999, but do not know enough about them to determine which ones I need exactly. I know some of them featured a trading card sheet inside, with about 8 cards or so. Michael Jordan, Shaq, Tiger Woods, are some of the more notable ones. Does anyone know which issues these were found in and what year???

Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Megatron81

Planty

Hix Nix Pix, Flick Needs Fix
Anybody wanna post the Animaniacs issue....., or the Futurama issue, or the Malcolm In The Middle issue........... or the "Ren and Stimpy Summer Swimsuit" issue (i. e. issue 1/2) Maybe the Pizza Hut exclusive issue....... maybe, probably,

Blankments

The Sparkle Rises!
I think I have a few of these, plus a library with quite a large archive. I may start doing a few of these, if anyone wants me too.

Linkario

Sorry to keep you waiting!
I think I have a few of these, plus a library with quite a large archive. I may start doing a few of these, if anyone wants me too.

Oh, please do. Nickelodian Magazine was a personal fave of mine, and I'd love to see an archive thread alongside Disney Adventures. :D

Pilgrim

I'm looking for the November 2003 issue

Hi folks.
I've been looking (for years) for a copy or two of the November 2003 issue of Nickelodeon Magazine. In it is an interview with two "pilgrims" from Plimoth Plantation. Well, I'm one of them. They promised to send us copies and let us know when it would be published and they never did. At the time I couldn't find copies for sale anywhere. If anyone on here has a copy of that issue and would be willing to sell it to me I'd be so happy. I'd really like to be able to show it to my Dad (he never managed to make it to Plimoth to see me in action) and to my kids. They don't really believe me when I tell them that Mommy used to be a pilgrim.

Also if anyone knows of a contact number or address to Nickelodeon that might result in my being able to buy any archived copies that would be great too. I know the magazine went out of business but the company may still have it stored away somewhere right?

Thanks for reading this.

X

xyz5

Hi folks.
I've been looking (for years) for a copy or two of the November 2003 issue of Nickelodeon Magazine. In it is an interview with two "pilgrims" from Plimoth Plantation. Well, I'm one of them. They promised to send us copies and let us know when it would be published and they never did. At the time I couldn't find copies for sale anywhere. If anyone on here has a copy of that issue and would be willing to sell it to me I'd be so happy. I'd really like to be able to show it to my Dad (he never managed to make it to Plimoth to see me in action) and to my kids. They don't really believe me when I tell them that Mommy used to be a pilgrim.

Also if anyone knows of a contact number or address to Nickelodeon that might result in my being able to buy any archived copies that would be great too. I know the magazine went out of business but the company may still have it stored away somewhere right?

Thanks for reading this.

I do happen to have that issue!

TenPoundHammer

^ That was a two-year bump responding to a poster who only posted once. Is this a record, Peter?

TenPoundHammer

cover_zps644a3362.jpg

Our cover story is on The Angry Beavers, aka "the best Nicktoon ever".

letters_zps2c990e3e.jpg

I didn't read Nickelodeon Magazine that much, so I have to ask. 1.) Were the letter sections always this short? and 2.) Did they always do goofy things with the staff list like this? Also, AOL e-mail address FTW.

kentucky_zps79b99514.jpg

The term "horsefeathers" always made me think "pegasus" for some reason.

A horse with a horn's called a unicorn
A horse with stripes is called a zebra
A horse with wings is called Pegasus
And a horse with a broken leg is called glue

And Clones/clowns/Clooney is still less of a stretch than anything that appeared in a "Who Would Win?" from Disney Adventures.

101_zps2e19aaf4.jpg

Even in 1997, I would've laughed out loud at this, not expressed desire to own the movie.

wishbone_zps093d02a9.jpg

…They're all things I had zero interest in as a kid?

hand_zpse840efce.jpg

I'm still in Disney Adventures mode, so seeing this kind of absurdity is totally catching me off-guard. I think my favorite line is Heart saying "From the bottom of my me." and "Cross my me and hope to die."

hand2_zps39c71704.jpg

The rest of the hand story. Also, a "Revolting but True" that looks like Ripley's Believe It or Not filtered through Tom Bunk.

jeter1_zpsf9d04027.jpg

jeter2_zpsd1e86e19.jpg

jeter3_zpsa31d7e91.jpg

jeter4_zpsccabc9ee.jpg

A fold-out showing the actual size of Derek Jeter's arm, aka "total pain in the butt to scan". Note: Scan may not be actual size.

I didn't realize Jeter was from Michigan. Also, because this is from 1997, the Macarena had to be in there somewhere.

gods_zps68739d38.jpg

A funny little segment on mythology. Medusa, Midas, and Shiva are the only three I've heard of before. Who says there's no knowledge in this thing?

Ghede is Ken Jennings?

gum_zps4b613885.jpg

I wasn't a gum person, but I did spend enough time in the candy aisle to know a lot of what existed. And Aaahh!!! Real Monsters gum seems like something I would've wanted to break my "no gum" rule to try, had I known it was around.

comic1_zps6d4e3a40.jpg

The Comics section is led off by this neat little thingy, which is oddly on card stock. And has nothing to do with the actual comics therein. Come on, I wanna know about Alligator Boy, dang it!

comic2_zpsd04c943d.jpg

Bird poop joke on the first page. But just like Sanjay and Craig, which had a bird poop joke in the second episode, it gets better.

comic3_zps1bf36f58.jpg

comic4_zps77dfa6bb.jpg

I scanned this entirely for how absurd it is, and how much it does without words. Sergio Aragonés would approve.

comic5_zpsbfb74e10.jpg

comic6_zpsde6672d3.jpg

Well, you know I like my chicken fried… and cold beer on a Friday night…

Seriously, anthropomorphic pieces of chicken. This comic section just gets harder to top with each page.

comic7_zps14d8b008.jpg

comic8_zps2dba6f9f.jpg

And a Hey Arnold! comic created by Craig Bartlett himself. I don't remember the actual show being this silly, but I haven't seen it in over a decade.

getwell1_zpsce63695b.jpg

getwell2_zps50b22d0b.jpg

Some mildly amusing "get well" cards. At the very least, they're better than some gag valentines I saw in Cracked around the same time, if only because the writer understands what "meter" is.

borden_zps058838b3.jpg

Is it just me, or is the guy with the binoculars making a troll face?

By now, you're probably asking, "where are Norbert and Daggett?" Well, they'll show up in the blink of a nicitating membrane.

nickphone_zpscde9ca6d.jpg

A phone whose ringing could change to the "Nick nick nick nick na-nick nick nick"?! And of course it was only available at Target, aka "the store at Bay City Mall that we only walked through to access the rest of the mall".

brain_zps19598e21.jpg

Wish I could close my eyes and not have to see you smilin' / Yeah, yeah, can't get you outta my head…

No lie: the first part of this image that jumped out to me was the lyrics to "Lump". Which was nearly 2 years old when this was drawn.

beafriend_zpsd026812c.jpg

I tried to follow this advice as much as I could. Shame that so few ever did the same to me. I was always the weird kid because of how much my Asperger's crippled my social skills.

Also, I haven't seen these ads in 15 years, but I still recognized that slogan. Funny how that stuff sticks with you — I recently watched a 15 year old episode of Wheel of Fortune that had a "Meet me at DQ" ad, and it made me realize just how long it'd been since that ad campaign.

jurassic_zps87c477ca.jpg

Hey, some actual stuff that involves talking with real people! Shame it's about a work I couldn't care less about. Skip it, skip it / Skippin' and a screamin' and a bop-de-bop…

allergies_zpsebbc4a6a.jpg

Wow, where the heck was this? I've always had serious hay fever-type allergies and can sneeze up to 40 times in a day. I could barely draw Snoopy on-model when I was 10, but you bet your sweet bippy I'd have tried to enter this!

beavers1_zps3d8e76a2.jpg

At long last, we get our cover story. I think the most interesting thing here is the proto versions of each. Early!Daggett looks like a Pokémon, and Early!Norbert looks like a bad palette swap.

The storyboard looks to be from the first episode. Ever since someone pointed out to me that their dad looks like Drew Carey, I can't unsee it.

beavers2_zpsf4c8a508.jpg

Um, guys, you spelled "Richard Horvitz" wrong.

I've always wondered why Daggett has sharp teeth. Does he have traces of some other species in him? Might explain why people were always calling them weasels.

When did Norbert ever say "wolaboga"? The only catch phrase I remember him having was "BIIIIIIG HUG!"

beavers3_zps8c9fa3b8.jpg

When I was 10, it bugged me that there's a town called Daggett in Michigan, but no Norbert.

Number of pages on Derek Jeter: 4
Number of pages on The Lost World: 3
Number of pages on The Angry Beavers: 2½

There's no justice in this world, I tell ya.

whatever1_zpsab1885a6.jpg

whatever2_zps8e1197c2.jpg

Some of these are kind of funny, especially the last one for Beck.

Who's that "QZ" guy? Google gives me no help.

====

These things are EXPENSIVE. One lot I saw was $100. I didn't even pay that much for a lot of MacAddict that was three times as big and came with most of the CDs intact.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts