The Nickelodeon Magazine Archive

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
I knew it was only a matter of time after this was announced that an archive thread would be made. :p

Half the mags I received as a kid no longer exist, and nothing has replaced them to my knowledge. Do today's kids just not want to get things in the mail anymore?

Well, Shonen Jump still seems to be holding up, so I think kids have moved more towards comic book subscriptions, who knows.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Well, Shonen Jump still seems to be holding up, so I think kids have moved more towards comic book subscriptions, who knows.
Comic books still sell lousily. I don't think kids think of Shonen Jump as a "comic book." It's "manga" which makes it a little more socially acceptable.

Shonen Jump is....waaaay after my time. If something didn't exist in the 80's, I don't count it.

It's clear now though that most kid mags don't last forever. All we need for the doom of that one is a new generation that doesn't care about manga at all.

J. B. Warner

Increasing my wordiness
Unfortunately, I have none of my Nickelodeon Magazines anymore. I subscribed from 1994 to 1999, but I have no clue where they all went - I've searched my house dozens of times and I have yet to find one.

My Disney Adventures collection, however, is now just 17 issues away from completion from 1990 to 2007, so I'll keep pluggin' away on that.

HomeMoviesFan

I have a nemesis!
Remember when I told you guys I had summer issues from 1997?

Yeah...I uh, I don't have that. In fact, I have none. My parents threw them out years ago. Ironically, I have more Disney Adventures magazines than I do Nick mags. Gigantic sigh...

Zorak Masaki

Comic books still sell lousily. I don't think kids think of Shonen Jump as a "comic book." It's "manga" which makes it a little more socially acceptable.

Shonen Jump is....waaaay after my time. If something didn't exist in the 80's, I don't count it.

It's clear now though that most kid mags don't last forever. All we need for the doom of that one is a new generation that doesn't care about manga at all.

Sports Illustrated for Kids still does well, as does National Geographic for Kids (formerly National Geographic World). Are Ranger Rick, Kid City, and 321 Contact still being published (though i cant see archive sections for those mags for some reason)?

dlmx-13

I know Ranger Rick became Wild magazine around 1995. It also began to suck at that exact point - they made it much more childish. (No idea if Wild is still being published) I used to have a subscription to Ranger Rick, you see - and I loved it and actually read it cover-to-cover. Um...yeah. Sorry. I probably shouldn't be admitting this. I actually kept all of my old issues, as they are a goldmine of animal reference pictures.

veemonjosh

Okay, so I just got the October 2009 issue in the mail, and I do have to say...

It's becoming REALLY apparent that the end is near.

First off, and what made me realize this before even opening it, the issue length has been cut in half. There's now just slightly over 30 pages. Here's what's in it:

Cover: Halloween-themed Spongebob picture.
Inside Cover: Cheese-Heads String ad with Spongebob.
Page 1: Contents
Page 2: Inside Nick
Pages 3-10: 2 Spongebob comics
Page 11: Spongebob puzzle
Pages 12-15: 2 Spongebob comics
Pages 16-17: Fairly OddParents comic
Pages 18-27: Various Comics ("Henry: The Kid Who Can Make the Most Insane Faces in the World, Ever", Gag Station, "Don'ts", "Yam", "Structo", and "Paparazzi")
Page 28: Say What Winners
Pages 29-30: Cutout Pranks
Page 31: Ghost-themed puzzle
Page 32: Say What
Pages 33-34: Nicktoon-themed cutouts

Now, you notice the second most-apparent thing? Out of 34 pages, only 8 of them aren't comics. Then there's also the fact that this month's Say What is the first one I've ever seen that they DON'T give you an address to send it to. Also, pretty much HALF of this is Spongebob-focused.

And you know what? THIS is probably the best issue of Nickelodeon Magazine in years for the simple reason that it sticks to just the comics, the only thing that has been consistently good recently. That also makes this a bit sad...

Though, if you see this issue, at least take a look at "Don'ts". It's single-handedly the most disturbing thing I've seen in Nickelodeon Magazine in a long time.

Jacob

Staff member
I have a stack of Nick Mags in my closet from late 1999 to roughly 2005. I'll see if I can steal my parents' scanner to post some of the older covers and such.

And, anyone know when the last issue is going to be sent out? They said they would do something "special" for the last issue.

Funky Al

I ate the WHOLE PLATE!
Good News, everyone! I found a Nick Mag of mine from 2007! The cover story is..El Tigre, with a blurb on...the..Naked Brothers...Band.
Is this good news?

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
I used to have a collection of the way early stuff, including the first issue from 1993. I don't know if I can find them, but if you want I could try.

Funky Al

I ate the WHOLE PLATE!
I figure I might as well get started. Here's the March 2007 issue of Nickelodeon Magazine.
OOI022.jpg

The Cover story is El Tigre, but the only content is about a half dozen character bios. I'm going to skip over this because I don't care, and I assume you don't, either.
OOI024.jpg

A couple of things about Nick Mag you should know, if you didn't already:
1. Each issue has a theme that most of the articles in the magazine focus on. There are a couple of recurring themes, such as April's cartoon issue, but usually the topic is unique.
2. That dog is Zelda Van Gutters, self proclaimed 'roving reporter'. She'll pop up and deliver a little comment now and then. Occasionally she'll get a little comic, but that's about it.
OOI023.jpg

To the left you'll see a standard letter-writing section, but that's not why I'm here. I'm here because of those slug songs. They are all new.
OOI025.jpg

The cast section was always fun, using a format to match the theme. You gotta feel bad for those forgotten cast members who simply don't get a picture.
OOI026.jpg

Has Alexa Vega done anything since Spy Kids? Also, that Lindsay Lohan is a wax model. Coulda fooled me.
OOI027.jpg

Shorts and Briefs is like The Fundalini Pages lite. Oh, and I cause Flatusteam frequently.
OOI028.jpg

Nick Mag also plays host to several educational segments. It doesn't consider itself a credible source, so it's required that all truthful articles get the "Real" stamp.
OOI029.jpg

This periodical was famous for its pranks, but I don't think they ever worked. Why? Their logo is printed on every one.
OOI030.jpg

I don't understand the concept of Go-Tarts. Pop-Tarts are already one of the most portable food products in the world right now, I don't think they need to be any more so. It's the same with Mini M&Ms. I mean, c'mon...
OOI031.jpg

The middle of the magazine is taken up by the aptly titled "The Comic Book."
Comics are great, right? This is gonna be awesome!
OOI032.jpg

Ughh...
If you'll look, that cactus is in the corner box on the cover. How'd this get top billing?
OOI033.jpg

A semi-regular feature, Grandpa and Julie, Shark Hunters, makes sense to you when you're a kid, but now, I have no idea what is going on. I imagine the market for comics like these is fairly limited, so where will cartoons like this have to go when ALL the kid magazines are gone?
OOI034.jpg

"Look, Ma, I'm a sperm!"
OOI035.jpg

THIS one should've gotten the corner box.
OOI036.jpg

From "The Dummy's guide to the environment for Total Idiots"
Read the one about the panthers.
OOI037.jpg

Typical Calendar. NEXT!
OOI038.jpg

What kid in 2007 knows who Crash Bandicoot is?
OOI039.jpg

I post this page
1. To show that the once charmingly titled "Ooze News" has been transfomed into the boring, PR approved "Inside Nick"
2. To point out that I'm disgraced to share my name with the one on the right.
OOI040.jpg

I don't have any of the very first issues, but since I've been reading it, "Say What has been in the magazine. Despite the fact I never paid much attention to it, I'll be sad to see it go.
OOI041.jpg

Look, it's Bratz Lite!

Zorak Masaki

Did i just see a drawing of dog waste in a magazine aimed at children? And this is the same Nickeldeon that banned "mans best friend"!

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
That video game message board thing is actually pretty funny. That is exactly how he became "Eggman."

Holly Hobbie has been around since the 70's, Al.

veemonjosh

And, anyone know when the last issue is going to be sent out? They said they would do something "special" for the last issue.

When's the last issue?
Tomato

Well, there's something mentioned on one of the pages that there will be 10th anniversary Spongebob comics and puzzles "until the November issue", so we at least know there's going to be an issue next month.

However, I'm pretty sure there was an article about the magazine ending that said that the staff was finishing work on issues that would run "to the end of the year", meaning a December end-date is the most likely thing.

Gives us a nice little "going out with the decade" feel, plus that's coincidentally when my subscription is going to end anyways.

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
Gah, there goes another childhood memory. I admit I didn't collect a whole lot, but I read them like crazy as a child. As of this writing, the only ones I do own are those Avatar specials, a DP one, and one with Spongebob on the cover (purely because of a DP comic).

Hey, if anyone has anything DP related that I haven't got, then I'd like to see those scans!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts