The New Toonami Ratings Thread (now with more civility!)

PicardMan

Staff member
Ratings time. Attack on Titan goes back to premieres and goes back to being neck and neck with Super. Retention for all shows seems pretty low and we go from Super at .19 to Gridman at .08, but people losing an hour of sleep keeps people from staying up.

12:00amDragon Ball Super3770.19
12:30amAttack on Titan3550.19
1:00amFood Wars2980.16
1:30amFire Force2520.13
3:00amBlack Clover2240.11
3:30amSSSS.Gridman1720.08
4:00amNaruto Shippuden2060.09
4:30amDemon Slayer1790.09

whoisretro

Ratings time. Attack on Titan goes back to premieres and goes back to being neck and neck with Super. Retention for all shows seems pretty low and we go from Super at .19 to Gridman at .08, but people losing an hour of sleep keeps people from staying up.

12:00amDragon Ball Super3770.19
12:30amAttack on Titan3550.19
1:00amFood Wars2980.16
1:30amFire Force2520.13
3:00amBlack Clover2240.11
3:30amSSSS.Gridman1720.08
4:00amNaruto Shippuden2060.09
4:30amDemon Slayer1790.09

The back half of the block probably didn't do so hot because of the time change but for the time they were on they didn't really do that bad.

Bigawesome2000

Here were the ratings for Saturday, March 20th:
12am - Dragon Ball Super - 351,000 - 0.17
12:30am - Attack on Titan - 277,000 - 0.15
1am - Food Wars - 227,000 - 0.12
1:30am - Fire Force - 218,000 - 0.12
2am - Black Clover - 186,000 - 0.10
2:30am - SSSS.Gridman - 171,000 - 0.09
3am - Naruto Shippuden - 212,000 - 0.10
3:30am - Demon Slayer - 187,000 - 0.10

Vampire_King

Wow, a lot of people bailed after Super this time.
i just think most of the people who are counted for nielsen ratings don't really care for any other anime that's how i see it

Dragon ball is that casual mainstream anime that hit it big and so it's difficult for most anime's to compete with it in the united states

PicardMan

Staff member
i just think most of the people who are counted for nielsen ratings don't really care for any other anime that's how i see it

Dragon ball is that casual mainstream anime that hit it big and so it's difficult for most anime's to compete with it in the united states

It is a little bit of a surprise that the gap between Attack on Titan and Dragonball Super is as big as it as. I met a few non anime fans who like Attack on Titan. I guess Dragonball Super is on more non anime fans "okay" lists.

Vampire_King

It is a little bit of a surprise that the gap between Attack on Titan and Dragonball Super is as big as it as. I met a few non anime fans who like Attack on Titan. I guess Dragonball Super is on more non anime fans "okay" lists.

maybe they just didn't care anymore about it....Casuals don't really have the patience to wait around for the next season of some anime

or perhaps it's because Attack On Titan requires them to think more than they want to

with dragon ball they can just watch the fights and tune everything else out

but attack on titan is usually a lot of monologues and character driven scenes without much in the way of action that would keep a casual audience's attention

PicardMan

Staff member
ith dragon ball they can just watch the fights and tune everything else out

but attack on titan is usually a lot of monologues and character driven scenes without much in the way of action that would keep a casual audience's attention

I guess it's a good thing MHA season 5 (and possibly a Toonami premiere of Jujutsu Kaisen) are just around the corner. Those are probably the most mainstream stuff out there that can possibly lift the block.

Vampire_King

I guess it's a good thing MHA season 5 (and possibly a Toonami premiere of Jujutsu Kaisen) are just around the corner. Those are probably the most mainstream stuff out there that can possibly lift the block.

MHA Probably But JJK Eh i dunno if the small minority being gauged knows JJK in the first place

that's why i never take the ratings seriously randomly selected people who barely know anything about anime(if at all)and only tune in out of sheer boredom aren't who I'd be Listening to

will they be back the following week for more toonami? we don't know

PicardMan

Staff member
MHA Probably But JJK Eh i dunno if the small minority being gauged knows JJK in the first place

Jujutsu Kaisen did dethrone MHA as the most streamed show of 2020 on Crunchyroll, but then I remembered that that doesn't actually mean it's now a more popular anime than MHA. hardcore anime fans watch Crunchyroll, but MHA is on a mainstream streaming service (Hulu). MHA's Hulu and Crunchyroll views combined probably crushed Jujutsu Kaisen's.

that's why i never take the ratings seriously randomly selected people who barely know anything about anime(if at all)and only tune in out of sheer boredom aren't who I'd be Listening to

will they be back the following week for more toonami? we don't know

Toonami needs to care about ratings because the advertisers do. That's why they gun for stuff like Dragonball Super and MHA, because non anime fans watch those. The problem is that Toonami has to be as mainstream as possible because anime fans mostly go to streaming and stuff like SSSS.Gridman has been streaming on Funimation for a few years. It does have a few exclusive dubs, like the upcoming Promised Neverland season 2, but oh my gosh, of all the exclusive dubs to get. Wonder if the casual Adult Swim watcher will hate season 2 as much as the hardcore anime fans who watched it subtitled. Season 1 did well enough in the ratings to merit a rerun, a Halloween marathon, and picking up season 2. We'll see if the backlash affects the ratings or not for season 2.

Vampire_King

it's all about if the show requires them to think a lot as i don't really think the average adult swim viewer tunes into adultswim for engaging content

they just want to shut off their brains and watch stuff that you don't have to think about

so the further you get from something like DBS and the closer you get to something like AOT the less casual viewers will care about you

for toonami to really succeed with the ratings they'd need a block of what amounts to
"jingling a pair of car keys"

at that point i think it would be less toonami and more "Adult Swim Japanese Edition"

PicardMan

Staff member
it's all about if the show requires them to think a lot as i don't really think the average adult swim viewer tunes into adultswim for engaging content

they just want to shut off their brains and watch stuff that you don't have to think about

so the further you get from something like DBS and the closer you get to something like AOT the less casual viewers will care about you

for toonami to really succeed with the ratings they'd need a block of what amounts to
"jingling a pair of car keys"

at that point i think it would be less toonami and more "Adult Swim Japanese Edition"

They kinda already have been catering to the people who only want DBZ-esque battle shonen by drastically reducing the quantity of seinen since 2016. We know slower and less action packed shonen like Attack on Titan and Promised Neverland are still allowed on the block despite not doing the type of ratings of Dragonball Super or MHA and we are allowed the occasional seinen/mecha in the designated 2:30 timeslot. Part of me wonders if Adult Swim actually wants it that way as they know battle shonen with tons of action gets the ratings, but now a lot of them are either very hard to get (Jujutsu Kaisen) or completely off limits (Edens Zero). I wonder how much Demarco had to fight with Adult Swim execs to get low rated stuff like Lupin III and universal century Gundam stuff on the block. His passion for anime is probably the reason we have stuff that isn't super mainstream battle shonen.

Vampire_King

it's just the difference between DBS And MHA is that the story for DBS is a paper-thin excuse for battles to take place

where as MHA....there comes a point where you have to think and it isn't just "Fight Fight Fight Fight!"

the tournament of power stands as a perfect example....the story reasoning for it all doesn't matter as it's just one big fight scene that goes on for way too long and by the end nothing was gained from it

it just feels like one pointless story that only existed for the battles

where as stuff like The U.A Sports festival in MHA had a purpose aside from "let's have battles!"

PicardMan

Staff member
it's just the difference between DBS And MHA is that the story for DBS is a paper-thin excuse for battles to take place

I think Dragonball Super's main reason for being so big is because of nostalgia and how big a property DBZ was in the early 2000s, not because the plot if thin enough to turn your brain off. How else do we explain people actively avoiding Pop Team Epic to watch the much denser HunterXHunter all those years ago? MHA doesn't quite have the nostalgia pool of being on children's television in the 2000s. It is obvious that children's action animation seems to be more mainstream than adult ones as way more people have seen Avatar the Last Airbender than Cowboy Bebop or any adult anime. MHA probably would do way better on a children's network if it weren't for a few pesky scenes of bloody violence the network would have to spend money to edit out. With no new Dragonball content in sight, at least we know that MHA does pretty well as a block lead as it can get as high as 700K (well, that's probably improbable now that Super reruns have taken loads of momentum away. When Toonami loses viewers, it usually can only recover 100K at most. My prediction for MHA season 5's ratings ceiling is 650K).

Bigawesome2000

Ratings for March 27th:
12am - Dragon Ball Super - 297,000 - 0.16
12:30am - Attack on Titan - 271,000 - 0.15
1am - Food Wars! - 217,000 - 0.12
1:30am - Fire Force - 193,000 - 0.12
2am - Black Clover - 166,000 - 0.10
2:30am - SSSS.Gridman - 149,000 - 0.09
3am - Naruto Shippuden - 203,000 - 0.11
3:30am - Demon Slayer - 149,000 - 0.10

PicardMan

Staff member
We need a hero like Deku to save the ratings when we start out below 300K. Attack on Titan at least retained okay. Food Wars continues to see huge drops, which seems odd as seasons 1-2 seemed to do really well. I guess the DVR numbers are good enough as it keeps the timeslot when Promised Neverland arrives. Fire Force and Black Clover get pushed back instead. It is a surprise that a cooking show has done as well as it has towards the front of the block for some time and part of me just wonders if Toonami is favorable towards it (remember when it aired before the mega hyped Demon Slayer).

PicardMan

Staff member
Ratings at least start out over 300K in totals, but Super started out at .15 instead of .16. Food Wars having a big drop looks like a weekly occurrence. SSSS.Gridman's drop makes it look doubtful the sequel is going to air anytime soon. As controversial as Promised Neverland season 2 is, I am surprised it will be put after the flailing Food Wars. Still wonder why season 3 isn't doing as hot as seasons 1-2.

12:00amDragon Ball Super3300.15
12:30amAttack on Titan3030.15
1:00amFood Wars2460.12
1:30amFire Force2550.12
2:00amBlack Clover2460.11
2:30amSSSS.Gridman2050.10
3:00amNaruto Shippuden2040.09
3:30amDemon Slayer1670.07

Vampire_King

i think my biggest issue with the Nielsen ratings in terms of toonami

is that it works when you are talking something extremely mainstream like the simpsons or family guy that a majority of the country is aware of and will probably tune into if nothing else is on

but when you try to apply it to a niche block like toonami it doesn't work as well because The General Population at large probably doesn't even know what anime is

so the idea they would just casually tune into food wars out of boredom and stay there like they would with a random episode of simpsons or family guy isn't very likely to be true....at least not in my opinion

because if you aren't into anime chances are You wouldn't even know about the block or care to keep up with it on the off chance you stumbled upon it

PicardMan

Staff member
Ratings time and Adult Swim has more ammo for why Super stays up front considering Attack on Titan had the largest drop. Promised Neverland's debut seemed to help retention a lot as Food Wars performed better than its standard 50K drops it does most weeks. Fire Force continues its large drops.

12:00amDragon Ball Super3620.18
12:30amAttack on Titan3080.15
1:00amFood Wars2870.14
1:30amThe Promised Neverland2790.15
2:00amFire Force2090.12
2:30amBlack Clover1810.10
3:00amNaruto Shippuden1860.09
3:30amDemon Slayer1670.09

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I love you, Law & Order: Organized Crime. That is all.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of when the Legend of Zelda's Oracle Duology was released in North America.
Happy birthday to George Lucas, the Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
NermNelly wrote on KristofLaszlo99's profile.
Hi, God and ruler of the world/Világok istene és ura!
NermNelly wrote on Palk Áron 2002's profile.
What gender do you see me as?

Featured Posts