The Mysteries of Disney Channel's Brandy & Mr Whiskers

Mr HooPoe

What do I feed the children? Lengthy sermons!
Of all the Disney Channel Original Series, live-action or animated, Brandy & Mr Whiskers has been the most fascinating. I do not mean that it is fascinating to watch. I mean that it is fascinating to analyse. After marathoning the show some time ago, I decided to look for more information on the show detailing the show's history. What I got was only a small amount of information.

What did I uncover? The show began production in late 2002 and seemed to be based off some horrible movie at the time as it had a similar premise (two opposites are shipwrecked on an island and must make amends). However, as production ensued, the character designer left because he could not comply with the commands of "going far-out."

According to creator Russell Marcus (whose picture is, strangely, not available online unlike the other Disney Channel animated series creators) as seen here (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/29/tv/for-young-viewers-talking-in-a-river-wonderland.html), the show was supposed to be "about a girl who was trying to be a good girl and a boy who would sit around eating his diaper all day long, but with the wonder of the world." For the wonder of the world aspect, he chose the Amazon Rainforest because ''t seemed to [him] one of the last magical places on the earth" since Disney already tackled Africa and Hawai'i.

Other than that, though, I got no other word on what happened behind the scenes with the show. My information mostly came from Toonzone (which allowed me to form some personal conspiracy theories on what the show really was, especially based on the fact that its premiere was intertwined with the launch of the short-lived block Magnet-tude). While most creators would discuss plans for episodes and how the show worked, nobody talked about how production went on the show-- not even a word detailing the show's cancellation. That might have to do with the immense popularity in the beginning (garnering up to four million viewers for each new episode). The only thing that was ever said about the show after its premiere was the nominations for its awards.

Now I am quite skeptical of anything about the show that I read: sources telling me that it had a 12-episode third season or that it aired sometime during the 2010's for the first time being the most eerie. The lack of the creator's photograph seems unusual considering that he was involved in more things like Married...with Children. Then there was the limited offer of it being released on DVD with The Proud Family and Phil of the Future with those discontinued CD carriers. An then there is this:

"You've Got Snail: An annoying snail moves in under Brandy and Whiskers, claiming he was there the entire time they were. Whiskers' ball bounces into the snail's home, and the snail refuses to give it back. Note. In this episode the word b---- can be heard." (Source: tv.com during the 2000's)

I re-watched the episode but could not find any trace of that (although it might have been dubbed over with the word "banshee" instead).

I mean, no other cartoon on Disney Channel has this little information on the shows. Does anyone seem to know anything about any of this?

doglover44

That was one my favorites I wonder why it never got another season in my opinion it deserved it

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Nick KCA press site is now gone

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs

Featured Posts