"The Lost Art of TV Guide Advertising" Talkback

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
I think I saw that Miss Piggy special on Nickelodeon way back when, but I may have it confused with the Miss Piggy's Hollywood special.

In any case, I really want Disney to release a DVD box set or two collecting as many Muppet-related specials as they have the rights to (music rights could still pose a problem, though). But not until after they release seasons 4 and 5 of the Muppet Show, of course (unless, again, they still need to clear music rights, in which I'll take whichever Disney can secure the rights earliest).

Zorak Masaki

Do you have the Christmas 1992 issue with the Tiny Toons cover? I'd like to see that issue next if you have it.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
One of these days, I want to watch Tales of the Gold Monkey. The TaleSpin fan in me is dying to see how it compares. The fact that it's only a season long makes it look like a decent breeze, and Shout! even put it out on DVD.

I love that Cheers ad. It's not the first time I've seen it, but I love the way Sam and Diane look there. I can't tell if that's Norm that Carla's beer is dripping on, though.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I saw Square Pegs on TV Land some years ago. Normally I dislike shows about teenage girls who long to become one of the popular kids, but I ended up liking it. It felt like an early-80s Freaks and Geeks with a more outrageous cast, plus it had an impressive guest star roster for a one-season wonder. (Devo, Martin Mull, Father Guido Sarducci, Wally from Leave It to Beaver...)

TheMisterFree

That Pink Panther series where he could talk? That DID actually make it to screen- one of the 90s MGM Animation's few projects, and it ran in syndication for about two seasons. Matt Frewer (who played Bob in Shaky Ground) voiced the Panther here. And the new banner- I know that's Cartman on the left, but who's the girl on the right?

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
That Pink Panther series where he could talk? That DID actually make it to screen- one of the 90s MGM Animation's few projects, and it ran in syndication for about two seasons. Matt Frewer (who played Bob in Shaky Ground) voiced the Panther here. And the new banner- I know that's Cartman on the left, but who's the girl on the right?
Arya Stark -- in the Game of Thrones season finale, she finished off three people on her hitlist by killing two offscreen, baking them into a pie and feeding them to the third one. She could have just slit his throat, but she had to go the EXTRA MILE that time....

Planty

Hix Nix Pix, Flick Needs Fix
What episode is that Simpsons ad even promoting? The copyright date says 1993, but from a simple Wikipedia search, there were no episodes that premiered in 1993 where Bart getting into trouble was a plot point, let alone, the biggest trouble ever

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
What episode is that Simpsons ad even promoting? The copyright date says 1993, but from a simple Wikipedia search, there were no episodes that premiered in 1993 where Bart getting into trouble was a plot point, let alone, the biggest trouble ever
It's a little exaggeration on Fox's part, but this is the episode where Bart is forbidden to see the Itchy and Scratchy movie.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
For some reason my original post didn't get through, but Stone Pillow looks interesting if not for the fact that Lucille Ball is taking on a heavier role.

A postscript about The Day The Clown Cried (the Jerry Lewis Holocaust movie): A few years ago (but before he died, obviously), Jerry donated copies of all his movies to the Library of Congress, including that one under the condition that it could not be screened publicly until 2025. So we have seven more years before we can see it (not that we'd really want to?)

Dsneybuf

At the risk of sounding too random, the first paragraph's comments about 1985 make me wonder if you'll happen across a Back to the Future advertisement utilizing a rejected design for the poster. I don't know if Universal actually used any of the rejects like that, but it seems like they would fit in with some of the ads you've already shared in this series.

Something rather odd I learned about I Dream of Jeannie 15 Years Later, after re-reading this review: It shares a director with most of Bewitched - Elizabeth Montgomery's real husband, William Asher.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts