"The Lion King (2019 Live-Action)" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
The biggest problem with going for realism when creating cgi animals is that they can't show a large range of emotion. Other than bearing fangs to signify anger or lowerings ears and tilting the head down to show fear/submissiveness you can't really do that much. The 2010 planet of ape films were able to circumvent this issue since primates already have human like features. And in the 2016 Jungle book Mowgli was there to fill the void. Even if the actors do a great job it won't matter because the expressions will be exactly the same from scene to scene.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I thought that the trailer was pretty good. Seeing the Lion King characters as more realistic looking animals is really impressive and the music from the original movie at the end helped to make it feel more dramatic too, but it does create some limitations. It's harder to make the characters look more visually distinctive when they look like regular animals. The amount of realism is both amazing and strange at the same time for me.

I love the original Lion King and I think a remake could work. It just depends on what they add in to make this CGI remake more unique. I'm still not sure how I feel about this remake, mainly because this is one of the few times something really nostalgic for me has been given the remake treatment, but there is a pretty good chance that I'll still see this in theaters. I saw the original Lion King in theaters multiple times and I'm pretty sure I've seen its re-releases in theaters as well, so I'm probably going to see this CGI movie. The landscape look real, but the animals are CGI, so it feels more accurate to call this a CGI movie rather than a live action remake, unless they actually include humans in the movie somewhere.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
New York City
I like the trailer, and I'll definitely watch the movie, but I agree with everyone else, photorealistic CGI animals just dont have the same emotional range as the hand-drawn cartoons did.

RainbowCupcake

The (Not So) Bad Guy
Dec 3, 2017
United States
Reviews are out: It's very cold. The biggest issue is the photorealism makes the animals too real, thus lacking any emotion. And it's very much a shot-for-shot retelling (kind of like that Psycho remake):

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Yeah, that sadly doesn't surprise me. This might be one reason why I haven't seen a lot of promos for the movie on TV and online compared to some of their other live action remakes. Plus, the complaints that the animals are too realistic and makes it harder for them to show emotions is a pretty big problem, especially when the animated movie had distinct designs for the characters and clear expressions to showcase their emotions. Not to mention a lot of people seem pretty tired of Disney's live-action remakes trend.

I love The Lion King, so a part of me wants to still see the movie, but it might be more of a rental situation than going to theaters to see it. I'd be a bit more tempted to watch Toy Story 4 in theaters, but I'll probably rent or buy it instead as well.

Radical Buster

Well-Known Hack Fraud
Feb 3, 2018
under your bed
I wonder how much dent the reception will make in the revenue. Probably not much. Casual moviegoers are still gonna see it on account of name recognition and curiosity anyway.

ajensendrake

Apr 22, 2016
I wonder how many more of these remakes we're getting. I know Mulan is next. Kind of surprised it's getting bad reviews, I liked The Jungle Book.

Spaceman

I Am Here
Jun 12, 2009
Puerto Rico
It bothers me how this film is trying to have it both ways. It wants to be a bold reimagining of a beloved story and yet it also wants to painstakingly duplicate the exact same charm of the original film. It doesn't seem to understand that the original film's charm is inextricably linked to the expressiveness and stylization which they completely threw away.

I actually would've been interested in a remake which retold the basic beats of Simba's journey in an entirely new way and with a grittier tone that actually matched the documentary-like photorealistic aesthetic (i.e. no celebrity voices, no singalong songs, no Timon or Pumbaa, etc), but of course that wouldn't be nearly as marketable.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
It bothers me how this film is trying to have it both ways. It wants to be a bold reimagining of a beloved story and yet it also wants to painstakingly duplicate the exact same charm of the original film. It doesn't seem to understand that the original film's charm is inextricably linked to the expressiveness and stylization which they completely threw away.

I actually would've been interested in a remake which retold the basic beats of Simba's journey in an entirely new way and with a grittier tone that actually matched the documentary-like photorealistic aesthetic (i.e. no celebrity voices, no singalong songs, no Timon or Pumbaa, etc), but of course that wouldn't be nearly as marketable.
I was kind of hoping that they were going to tell the story in a similar fashion. Maybe not with a grittier tone and I couldn't see them getting rid of popular/marketable characters like Timon and Pumbaa, but there was still room to tell Simba's journey in a different way or with some expansions. Making it a shot for shot remake, while not surprising, is a bit disappointing since I was hoping for something a bit more than just that.

Reactions: RainbowCupcake

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
Reviews are out: It's very cold. The biggest issue is the photorealism makes the animals too real, thus lacking any emotion. And it's very much a shot-for-shot retelling (kind of like that Psycho remake):

I’m guessing the rumors I heard of plot changes, were just that, rumors. That’s kind of a shame. I know if it’s not broke, don’t fix it, but at the same time you can expand upon a story and bring more to the table. Beauty and the Beast was a good example of this.

Reactions: RainbowCupcake

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
To be honest I was expecting a shot-for-shot remake, so not necesarilly bothered by that, but I'm also kind of not surprised that the realistic animal designs make it a bit more jarring for people, even if the CGI from all accounts seems very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why did SDCC have to happen during the same weekend as Vinesauce Is Hope?
With how widespread the Joy-Con analog drift issue is, I'm honestly surprised I haven't had that issue yet. I've had my console for almost two years.
Is Nick doing anything for SDCC
I hope Trevor Devall is in the PPG 2016 reboot.